Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:22 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytree View Post
can I use it on a mac? can I use it with a hack? I can't figure out how to get a free version (they cost $50). Clueless. sorry
I'm using 'simple exif viewer' on my imac, works just fine; find it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/

happy shooting
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:31 PM   #122

For Mac users this free quick and easy EXIF reader is available:

http://homepage.mac.com/aozer/EV/index.html

Put the icon in your dock, then all you have to do is left click on an image and drag it to the icon - make sure your pointer is on icon and release. The picture will jump back to its place without sticking on the desktop, and a window will appear with the exif data. It reads the HS10 data with no problems.

Edit: two minds with but a single thought . . . .

Last edited by penolta; Apr 16, 2010 at 6:35 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 6:42 PM   #123

Thanks GB and Penolta! I will give this a try!

Ok - I have downloaded it, now to try...

Last edited by andytree; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:47 PM   #124

Some night images

What bugs me is that the minimum shutter of 30 sec only works at iso100; shift to iso200 and the min. shutter cuts to 15 sec; and it keeps cutting with increasing the iso sensitivity.. A pretty strange thing

example, the last image I took with the panasonic FZ50 and a raynox fullframe fisheye converter @ 60s f/2.8 ISO1600. it's the milkyway. That won't be possible with the HS10 I'm afraid..

anyway, 1st the hs10 @ 29s f/3.2 ISO100 6mm (just over full wide)

2nd the HS10 @ 29s f/5.6 ISO100 126mm (full tele)

3d 100% crop of 2nd, showing fair enough sharpness. I left the image stabilization (mode1) on, and it didn't shift along the 29s shutter, which is a good thing. With most cameras you must switch the IS off when using a slow shutter like that.

Good night! GB
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:00 PM   #125

Hmmm.... The unavailability of higher ISOs for longer shutter speeds is not good news..

Anyway, thanks for the shots, greenbaron..
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:22 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
Some night images

What bugs me is that the minimum shutter of 30 sec only works at iso100; shift to iso200 and the min. shutter cuts to 15 sec; and it keeps cutting with increasing the iso sensitivity.. A pretty strange thing

example, the last image I took with the panasonic FZ50 and a raynox fullframe fisheye converter @ 60s f/2.8 ISO1600. it's the milkyway. That won't be possible with the HS10 I'm afraid..

anyway, 1st the hs10 @ 29s f/3.2 ISO100 6mm (just over full wide)

2nd the HS10 @ 29s f/5.6 ISO100 126mm (full tele)

3d 100% crop of 2nd, showing fair enough sharpness. I left the image stabilization (mode1) on, and it didn't shift along the 29s shutter, which is a good thing. With most cameras you must switch the IS off when using a slow shutter like that.

Good night! GB
Holy smokes, if the FZ50 can get the Milky Way like that, I wonder if my FZ35 can?? Can I ask how much and what sort of PP/NR you applied?

Thanks and I enjoyed your post.
Greg

PS Not having fisheye, I'm wondering how the panorama software would handle such pics??
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #127

Very cool pix, GB! I love that night pany!

Ok, I downloaded the EXIF Viewer, it is in my apps file, and on my toolbar. When I drag photos into it from online, it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't tried w/my own photos, yet. Advice?

Yup - works great w/my own photos. Maybe I just need to do that and then upload? But when I want to see what someone else's pix are all about, how do I do that?
andytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:45 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by andytree View Post
Very cool pix, GB! I love that night pany!

Ok, I downloaded the EXIF Viewer, it is in my apps file, and on my toolbar. When I drag photos into it from online, it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't tried w/my own photos, yet. Advice?

Yup - works great w/my own photos. Maybe I just need to do that and then upload? But when I want to see what someone else's pix are all about, how do I do that?
If a picture has been "saved for the web" in PS or PSE the EXIF will be stripped - they could have used "save" instead. If the EXIF isn't attached, downloading it won't help.

Oh, and on the Mac I should think it should be in your dock, not on a toolbar.

Last edited by penolta; Apr 16, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:19 AM   #129

Preview on the Mac will also show EXIF data in the info window (Cmd+I). It comes with OS X. No need for another app.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2010, 5:20 AM   #130

Viewing EXIF info online - (Windows only): download
http://download.cnet.com/ArcSoft-Pri...-10710270.html
This is a freebie, most of which is pretty useless but the package does contain an EXIF viewer which can be invoked from the context menu (right click a web image and if there's any EXIF information there it will be shown in the popup window. Also adds the EXIF viewer to the Windows Explorer context menu). Only basic info but it's better than nothing and a lot easier than copying and pasting links into another webpage or program.
If you don't want the rest of the PrintCreations package (and why would you - all output is watermarked!) do the following.
In Add/Remove Programs delete all the separate modules except the ArcSoft Raw Thumbnail Viewer, then delete the main Arcsoft Print Creations entry.
Remove the Arcsoft Print Creations folder from the Start Menu.
This will leave just the EXIF viewer installed, with a desktop icon if you want it. Now you can instantly see the EXIF info of an online image by right clicking the picture.

PieStudio has one of the most comprehensive EXIF reports I've seen and is updated frequently, so hopefully the HS10 raw format will be included at some stage (assuming it's substantially different from anything already included). I think one of the things that might cause a problem from previous decoders is the new HS10 sensor, as most of the old Fujifilm ones were CCD. If necessary and being a registered PieStudio user I can request an update.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote