Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:44 PM   #141

Beatiful and stunning Photos...
Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:47 PM   #142

Hanheld picture of the airplane at the end of the contrails was pretty darn good.
I was looking at this cameras features today. I was intriged by the 60 thru 1000fps high speed video feature. Has anyone tried this yet. I was unable to find any samples of this on the web. Or further details at fuji.
hoppingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 5:59 PM   #143

I was curious. Did anyone try a external flash on the camera's hot shoe? Can you have the flash mounted to the hot shoe and the built in flash still popup so it can trigger the external flash. I don't believe automatic flashes will work without the built in flash to trigger it. Does this make sense? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
conradcjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:54 PM   #144

conradcjc-

Because of the design of the hinge on the HS-10's built-in flash unit, it is impossible to mount fully an external slave flash onto the HS-10's hot shoe. It would lack 3/16th of 1 inch from being full seated on the hotshoe.

If you did drive the Slave Flash home on the hot shoe the built-in flash would be deflected downward by at least 5/8th of 1 inch as you can see in the attached photo, where the YN 460 is fully mounted on the HS-10's hot shoe and the built-in flash is deployed.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:34 PM   #145

Sunpak has a digital Camera Flash Adapter, which is a bracket with a flash shoe atop the hand grip and a sensor that triggers the flash as a slave by detecting the built in flash as a trigger. Any shoe mount flash can be used. the Sunpak product number is "Digi-Adapt"

Adorama lists it on ebay for $21.50 plus $5.50 shipping. I haven't tried it, so this is an FYI, not a recommendation.

Last edited by penolta; Apr 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:07 AM   #146

Penolta-

I have used it. It takes a lot of experimenting and fiddling to work your way through the 6 switch options and getting all the contacts working successfully. I have used it multiple times using a Nikon SB-20 that I bought cheap on E-Bay, but allow for a lot of extra time for sanding contacts and trouble shooting, as it is surely not a switch in on and there you go situation at all!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:03 AM   #147

HS10 in town

in auto wb the images got a bit a of green hue about them which I corrected for. I'll use the dedicated sunny wb next time. further resize/sharpened.
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:20 AM   #148

Some more; resize / shaprened / color corrected. The 24mm wide angle works really well in city enviroments; the intergalactic tele helps catching details of buildings that you otherwise wouldn't even think of I used the DR400 (dynamic range expansion) setting most of the time, to kill the harsh shdows. But interestingly, when reviewing the pictures on the camera, it sais DR100. I can't see a difference with the setting applied, so I'll try some more, see if I can get it to work properly. I used the EVF all the time. Good thing it works quite well with (sun)glasses

Happy shooting! GB
Attached Images

Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:11 AM   #149

Default Sharpening

I noticed that the result at 720 mm is better if one sharpens the photo a little more. The first one is about 360 mm and sharpened 4 points in Paint Shop, the second one is 720 mm and sharpened 8 points in Paint Shop.
This sensor tolerates sharpening very well!

Regards

guus
Attached Images

guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:26 AM   #150

Yep, with a touch of sharpening in photoshop the hs10 pics look even better

I learned 2 things that caused my concerns in the previous post:

1 The greenish hue was caused by the WB fine tune that wasn't neutral; So the auto WB is not to blame.

2 the dynamic range feature didn't work, because it is linked to the iso setting; use iso100, and you can't expand, use iso200, you can use DR200, use iso400, and you can use DR400. With the cam in P-mode and auto iso @ max 800, the cam doesn't warn you the DR feat. won't work at iso100

Two images; Afer a long and dark winter, these spring scenes make me very happy. first is taken at full wide, using in-camera 16:9 aspect. resize/sharpen

2nd pc at full tele + digital zoom; pushed the saturation 10 points in photoshop + resize/sharpen
Attached Images