Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:12 PM   #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
A tripod and timer is absolutely essential for this kind of shot. Looks like you're getting to know the HS-10 fairly well now.

My battery monitor problem seems to have rectified itself Go figure!
I'm only on my second set of batteries, so I cannot comment on that yet.

Dug out some of my old SLR stuff from 20-30 years ago - tripod, 2 external flashes, and two 58MM filters. I was never real good at manual settings - new just enough to get in trouble! Once the weather gets a little better, and we get out for Corvette cruises, I should be able to get more use. I live right here at my boat business, and I have not even had much of a chance to leave the yard since I got the camera. This forum, and the DPR forum (after I weed out the BS) have been a great help, both in helping me to decide to purchase the HS10, and work the camera.

Thanks,

Gary
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:19 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakensea View Post
I'm only on my second set of batteries, so I cannot comment on that yet.

Dug out some of my old SLR stuff from 20-30 years ago - tripod, 2 external flashes, and two 58MM filters. I was never real good at manual settings - new just enough to get in trouble! Once the weather gets a little better, and we get out for Corvette cruises, I should be able to get more use. I live right here at my boat business, and I have not even had much of a chance to leave the yard since I got the camera. This forum, and the DPR forum (after I weed out the BS) have been a great help, both in helping me to decide to purchase the HS10, and work the camera.

Thanks,

Gary
I was sooooo stuck in Program mode for the longest time. Thanks to a couple of guys on here, I made the jump and never looked back. It's REALLY easy and gives you more control. Oh yeah! Another thing that helped pry me out of P mode was Scott Kelby's book "The Digital Photography Book" and Bryan Peterson's, "Understanding Exposure". Kelby's a hoot!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Apr 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:09 AM   #243

i jumped to manual mode already. I use p mode when I'm at a party. sometimes manual but I use p mode when I'm totally lazy.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:50 AM   #244

Pics from a bright and sunny day on the Bluebonnet Trail in Ennis, Texas.
http://picasaweb.google.com/nidwannaya/BluebonnetTrail#
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:46 AM   #245

Raj, Those are some lovely shots. I particularly love the captures of your wife and daughter.

Hi all, I am new to the forums. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my HS10...not very patiently I might add. I do not claim to be a proffesional or advanced photographer at all and I do think I will learn a lot from these forums. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I did print out the manuel that comes with it so I can read it before it gets here.

I have enjoyed all of the pictures everyone has shared.
scrappinsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:31 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinsam View Post
Raj, Those are some lovely shots. I particularly love the captures of your wife and daughter.

Hi all, I am new to the forums. I am currently awaiting the arrival of my HS10...not very patiently I might add. I do not claim to be a proffesional or advanced photographer at all and I do think I will learn a lot from these forums. I am sure I will have plenty of questions along the way. I did print out the manuel that comes with it so I can read it before it gets here.

I have enjoyed all of the pictures everyone has shared.
That's my experience also, and so far, with the limited amount of time I've spent with the camera, I'm enjoying it. Between weather, work (ah the joys of self-employment!) and home/yard chores, it's been hard finding time to learn the HS10.

Hint on manual printing - set the scaling to "Fit to printer margins" - it will make if full page and easier to read. Also, if you have a printer that can print double sided, it will cut the page count in half. I then used my heavy duty hole punch, put two holes on the left side and used a couple of 1/4" screws, washers & nuts to bind it all together - that way it opens and reads the way the manual would. In addition, I downloaded a copy to all my computers.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the camera. Follow the battery threads, as the HS10 appears to be quite power sensitive. I'm only on my second set of batteries, so I cannot comment too much as yet.

I think the biggest reason some people are unhappy with the camera is they had too much SLR like expectations, and some blame it on all the Fuji hype. I did not even read any Fuji hype (for that reason) - only specs and comments on the forums.

My reasons for purchasing the HS10 (besides needeing to replace my stolen/lost Kodak DX6490) were the zoom, the in-camera panorama stiching and the abundance of non-menu controls. I think being able to easily change settings without having to dig into menues makes learning the camera easier and quicker. My DX6490 had many manual settings, but I never seemed to have the time to use them when it came time to "point & shoot".

Good luck and post some pictures!

Gary
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 7:34 AM   #247

scrappinsam-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Fuji P+S folder.

Make yourself comfortable. There are a lot of photo samples here and some very interesting and instructive tech talk. Congratulations on your new camera purchase. We all found it difficult to wait for that HS-10 to be delivered.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:52 PM   #248

Here are some bird shots taken today from my bathroom window of the goldfinches and greenfinches on my bird feeders. All taken handheld as my tripod is still out on loan

I have always wanted to see goldfinches in my garden and two days ago they arrived! I am quite pleased with these given that the feeders were moving in the wind, the HS10 has done a great job of the seed in the feeders. All at max zoom, just braced against the wall...lots of blurry ones though! Can't wait to get my tripod back!!!!

Cornwall David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:59 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall David View Post
Here are some bird shots taken today from my bathroom window of the goldfinches and greenfinches on my bird feeders. All taken handheld as my tripod is still out on loan

I have always wanted to see goldfinches in my garden and two days ago they arrived! I am quite pleased with these given that the feeders were moving in the wind, the HS10 has done a great job of the seed in the feeders. All at max zoom, just braced against the wall...lots of blurry ones though! Can't wait to get my tripod back!!!!
Excellent images, David! Well done!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 1:53 PM   #250

Very good images, David-

The sharpness is great for at or near full zoom.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote