Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:48 PM   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradcjc View Post
Yes. I just found them as well. There is a 2x and a 1.5x. I wonder how they would work on the HS10?
If you scroll further down there are 3.5x & 4.5x in other brands. No idea if they would work - as I said in an earlier post, I have just about enough photography knowledge to get me in trouble!
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:10 PM   #282

I guess my link on B&H photo did not work (search result). Here are a couple more....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...onversion.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...onversion.html

Anyone know anything about these?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:48 PM   #283

What you might want to consider when choosing a teleconverter is

- how much zooming freedom do you have (where does vignetting start; do you get soft corners?)

- weight of the lens. because the lens of the HS10 extrudes quite a lot, you might not want to attach a too heavy conversionlens, and leave it unsupported.

I know by experience, the oly tcon-17 doesn't give soft corners, and you can zoom out to about 200mm (35 equiv) before vignetting starts. So there's no gap. I believe soft corners aren't usually an issue with teleconverters; this is more likely to happen with wide converters, but you might like to make sure before you buy.

For my panasonic camcorder, I've got the raynox hd-2205pro 2.2x teleconverter. It has a front thread of 55mm, so I tried and screwed the oly tcon-17 on top. It works () but there's no zooming out from full tele; vignetting starts right away.

Raynox also has the DCR-2025PRO/DCR-2020PRO 2.2x teleconverter. The DCR-2025PRO comes standard with lens shade. Both provide a 62mm mounting thread, but a 58mm stepdownring is standard included in the package. Because they have a 'native' thread of 62mm, there's presumably better zooming freedom. Just don't forget a total of 1584mm optical zoom isn't going to be easy to handle

A little word on using wide converters; I tried the oly wcon 0.7x wide converter (55mm mountingthread, used the step-downring). But it doesn't work; I think most wide conversion lenses are build for camera's that don't provide wideangle themselves. Putting the 0.7x on top of the HS10 causes lot of vignetting, and if you zoom in to the point where it's gone, you get the same zoom as it's native 24mm. But what needs to be said is that step rings are best avoided with wide converters. They cause more vignetting than you wish, and you loose a lot of wideangle when zoom to ged rid of it. I know raynox has one wide converter (0.7x) with a native 58mm thread (HD-7000PRO); but it's probably not usefull with the 24mm wide end of the HS10.

the raynox DCR-FE181PRO/DCR-FE180PRO full frame fish-eye both ship standard with stepdown 62-58mm, and you can use the zoom up to some point before you get soft corners; but there's no hazy centre spot as you get with the oly 0.7x wide converter when you zoom in. I'me having a new stepdown ring on order for my FE180pro, Guess it got lost in a rigid cleaning session But I tried holding the lens manually before the HS10, and it was possible to zoom the vignetting out of there and get sharp results, at a much wider angle than the HS10s native 24mm. But they're all glass and quite heavy. And expen$ive..

Happy shooting! GB

Last edited by greenbaron; Apr 26, 2010 at 6:58 PM.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:01 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakensea View Post
Gary,

I am considering a teleconverter also, but I see the TCON-17 is a 55mm thread, which I assume would need a converter. Any reason why we would not use one of the Canon units that are listed as having a 58mm thread?

(other) Gary
I use a 55-58mm stepdown ring for the TCON17. I haven't tried any well-known brand, Gary. I have tried a couple of those no-name's on eBay. Normally, they're say 2.5x or 3x although I've seen a couple 4x and 5x. While they may be good for a special effect lens the most common thing I used them for was an expensive paperweight. CA, small area focus, just plain crappy IQ are the norm. I can't speak for the Vivitar. I got a steal on the TCON from eBay. But, folks are starting to wise up and prices are up. Every once-in-a-while you'll see one with a low Buy It Now. If you do a search for a Olympus B-300, you may get lucky, too. They are the TCON17 before the name change.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:11 PM   #285

I've fired my hs10 up, and I have to question these ALLEGED 30x handheld photos.
IS continuous, or IS shooting only, (we were supposed to turn continuos off to save battery - correct?)all my images over 0x, are blurred. Assuming its an image stabil problem as it looks focused at 1x. Heck I haven't even figured out how to get the flash to work. When I press the joystick thing by the lightning bolt it say hold display to deactivate sound off, Must be hiding flash somewhere in the menus???????
hoppingmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:16 PM   #286
Super Moderator

hopping,

what lighting conditions are we talking here. even with image stab you will need quite decent light to handhold full 720mm equivelent.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:25 PM   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingmad View Post
I've fired my hs10 up, and I have to question these ALLEGED 30x handheld photos.
IS continuous, or IS shooting only, (we were supposed to turn continuos off to save battery - correct?)all my images over 0x, are blurred. Assuming its an image stabil problem as it looks focused at 1x. Heck I haven't even figured out how to get the flash to work. When I press the joystick thing by the lightning bolt it say hold display to deactivate sound off, Must be hiding flash somewhere in the menus???????
You have the silent mode turned on in the setup menu. Silent mode is a quick way of turning all sounds and flash off if you are in a theater or some other venue where you cannot use flash or sounds. If you want the camera to be silent all the time just go into the setup menu, turn "Silent Mode" on, Operational and Shutter volumes to off - your flash will now work and all sounds will off.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:31 PM   #288

reasonably lite living room, I have a parrot on the other side of the room (15 feet)
turn the lights off, and still no flash

At 15 feet , 30x the birds head fills the lcd

Menus, buttons, when I was younger and could manual my slr, it was simpler then this. Camera was a yasika, or something spelled close to that, its been 40 yrs
Enjoyed the extension tubes doing up close spiders, but now I enjoy not paying for film and developing.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:34 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakensea View Post
You have the silent mode turned on in the setup menu. Silent mode is a quick way of turning all sounds and flash off if you are in a theater or some other venue where you cannot use flash or sounds. If you want the camera to be silent all the time just go into the setup menu, turn "Silent Mode" on, Operational and Shutter volumes to off - your flash will now work and all sounds will off.
Ahhhh
tomorrow, I get up at 4am, night folks
Old Apr 28, 2010, 9:36 PM   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppingmad View Post
reasonably lite living room, I have a parrot on the other side of the room (15 feet)
turn the lights off, and still no flash

At 15 feet , 30x the birds head fills the lcd

Menus, buttons, when I was younger and could manual my slr, it was simpler then this. Camera was a yasika, or something spelled close to that, its been 40 yrs
Enjoyed the extension tubes doing up close spiders, but now I enjoy not paying for film and developing.
Did you do as I suggested above? Also, in the setup menu make sure the external flash is set to "OFF". I assume you have the flash popped up.