Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:53 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
There is a difference between showing quality and sharing a photo. If the photo is there for showing quality/sharpness/noise etc then it needs a 100% crop, if it is to show creativeness and the shooting environment etc then that's a different matter.
Well said!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:03 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I concur with Green Baron. It's not perfect... but it sure is nice!

Made my own dew with a spritzer for this one. heheheh Handheld in Super-macro mode. Not a breeze in the sky until I shot this!
Nice job on the dew! I'm not sure how post processing was done on any of the images, but I like the color I see in some of the images I'm seeing posted. I'm not crazy about the depth of field, but it probably is as good as can be expected.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:08 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak View Post
Nice job on the dew! I'm not sure how post processing was done on any of the images, but I like the color I see in some of the images I'm seeing posted. I'm not crazy about the depth of field, but it probably is as good as can be expected.
Thanks very much.

Little to none. Most of mine are pretty much straight out of the camera. There were a couple that I used a SMIDGEN of USM.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I thought for sure I had a defective unit. I could NOT get flash to work -- onboard or external! Seems you have to have the sound on. Just press and hold the "Disp" button to toggle it.
Yes, I was scratching my head on this one for a long time till I realized that clicking and holding the Display to turn off sound had also disabled Flash
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:00 AM   #85

The posted review/link ''above'' says :

The HS10 only misses out on our highest award thanks to less than stellar image quality in low-light, slow RAW processing speeds and the high price tag.

Well I don't need stellar image quality... I'll just take some of that darn good kind.

So it says this camera is Highly Recommended. That's good enough for me.

Sorry about that Canon.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:04 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Why not use a good manual, but inexpensive flash on the HS-10's hot shoe. DonalDuc suggested the Chinese made YongNuo model YN-46. I paid $39 for mine delivered, and it arrived to today. It a pretty impressive flash with excellent power and range.

It both tilts and swivels, and can act as a Slave Flash by using just one switch, so you have all of the expected external flash photo features. I found it easy to use in Manual. I have attached a sample photo of my husband using that flash. Now I have nothing against Slave Flashes and use them all the time myself. But with this flash you would get many more features and much more power.

Sarah Joyce

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Fu...73_W85U5-L.jpg
Hi Sarah,

Would the YongNuo work with any P&S camera in slave mode similar to the Metz 28cs?

Thanks.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:40 AM   #87

Default Ding! I have an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Not a problem at all, there is so much jargon that goes around in photography it takes ages to get it all sorted..... I should make a list sometime and post it.

We call it a 100% crop as it is a crop at pixel per pixel size of a full image, it probably isn't the best term but it is the one that stuck. Dustin explains it well in the 8th post of this thread http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...a-quality.html
Hi Mark

I'm just catching the tail-end of this amazing HS10 frenzy here and elsewhere!

I have a question if you don't mind. I see a lot of time and effort going into the whole resizing/compressing/100% crop issue. I use flickr. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that with a free flickr account, one can upload 100% full-size photos, uncompressed. Then you can put them into albums, and each album can have it's own privacy and size settings, so you can choose both who has access to each album, via open access or private invitation link, and more importantly, whether the viewer can access a sample or the full sized photo, along with all EXIF data.

I believe that a solution exists, via the sharing/linking/permissions system already in use between other sites such as Picasa, Blogger, Photoshop Elements and Facebook; I use this personally, and can state that it works extremely well. So although in some sense they are competitors, they are all benefiting (as are the users) by sharing access to a common set of photos and members.

I would think this methodology would provide all Steve's members with a valuable, convenient and simple way to display reasonable sized samples right on the forum postings, with clickable links to the full sized photos with EXIF data at flickr.

I hope this suggestion is not out of line and follows the correct Forum protocols, it's just that my perception is that many people (such as Sarah Joyce), who offer immeasurable value to the community through their generous and voluntary work, spend a lot of unnecessary time and effort on this roundabout of image parameter madness, if I can put it that way.

I imagine such a solution would also have the added advantage of reducing the load on Steve's servers, and adding extra value to the Steve's community, and as such attracting more members overall.

Your thoughts and response will be most appreciated by all I'm sure, thank you.

Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:49 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Yes, I was scratching my head on this one for a long time till I realized that clicking and holding the Display to turn off sound had also disabled Flash
FYI I believe there is a work around that enables flash without sound. I saw it on a recent post over at Fuji forums DPR.

Cheers
Greg
chillgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:35 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillgreg View Post
FYI I believe there is a work around that enables flash without sound. I saw it on a recent post over at Fuji forums DPR.

Cheers
Greg
Any chance you can post a link or quote it for us?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:38 AM   #90

gjtoth, I guess you have to turn the volume all the way down..
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote