Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 15, 2010, 1:34 AM   #1

Default Why is everyone recommending the eneloops batteries fot the HS10?

Are they that much better than others?
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:36 AM   #2

yeees ... 1000x better
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:46 AM   #3

Everyone isn't - just one person (who may have shares in Sanyo!). There are many good brands of NiMh batteries to choose from. As usual, if you have a trouble-free relationship with a bit of kit you tend to swear by it and, equally, if you have hassle there is a tendency to denounce it out of hand. Go with a brand you're comfortable with.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:52 AM   #4

eneloops have one big advantage:

They loose 1% per month ... others 1% per DAY !

Taking eneloops 1/2 year after charging ... FULL!
Taking others 1/2 year after charging ... EEEEEMPTY!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:20 AM   #5

The main difference is when you charge. With most rechargeables, if they've been sitting a while, you slip in a quick top-up just prior to use. With eneloops, you charge just after you use them and then just put them away. They'll still be real close to full after months.

Which way seems easier to manage? Personally, the need to use comes up unforeseen sometimes and dead batteries are awkward. So the use, charge, put away method is easier.

However, the eneloop technology means lower capacity. Tests I've seen show that the 2000 maH capacity is very real as opposed to others claiming 2800 maH which is never attained IRL. But it is lower.

Someone here claimed that they fill a flash faster. Lower internal resistance you know. I don't know anything about that. They have been repackaged and now are even sold at the Fortinos/Loblaws supermarket chain in Canada!
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:21 AM   #6
Super Moderator

I have switched to hybrid batteries for nearly all my needs now, I have a couple of sets of 2600mah HiMh that I use first in my flash guns as they are charged right before a shoot but the rest are Hybrio (similar technology, different brand). They are the only thing that will run my Canon SX1 for any period of time and have found even with the lower mah rating they last about as long in a flash as my NiMh. Oh and I don't have to keep flattening and recharging. They are a great choice for modern electrical equipment especially where you are not using it much.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I...are Hybrio ...
Funny to see what people ultimately buy:
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralast-UL-4.../dp/B000KL4A8M
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:55 AM   #8
Super Moderator

To me it makes no difference which of the brands, but in the UK I can get a better deal on the Uniross Hybrios so have 6 sets of them. That's enough for a full wedding and evening shoot with batteries to spare (always best to have too many than not enough).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 4:48 PM   #9

Mark has really gven the game away by mentioning Hybrios. It's not the NiMh bit that's imporant - that's taken as read nowadays as NiCd has died a death - but the fact that it's the new pre-charged technology. You can buy a pack of these and pop them straight in as they are already charged. They also retain their charge for much longer and don't suffer from the memory effect. So, any pre-charged brand should do the trick.
Also, I personally like the HS10 using AAs. I know many don't but at least you can pack a set of photo lithiums (e.g. Energizer) to use in an emergency and these will far outlast even the best alkalines.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 6:42 PM   #10

I use eneloops on my point and shoot, and my external flash, and they last forever! Reg aa(non rechargeable) last less than one day in my p&s, where the rechargeables last up to three weeks if I don't use the flash a lot. I can't remember the last time I charged the four in my sony HVL-F42AM. Yes, I like Eneloops, but others may be as good, do your research.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote