Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:33 PM   #1

Default HS10 Trouble with foliage?

Hi,

Most of the tele shots I have seen taken with the HS10 are stunning.

The wide shots, however, seem to be lackluster. Especially ones having trees or shrubs. The camera seems to be having trouble with foliage, and trees end up looking like a single green blob.

Can someone validate/refute this? I am awaiting my HS10 and this has me worried..
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:39 PM   #2

have you tried messing with the sharpness setting, staying away from automatic, using p mode?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:41 PM   #3

Hi Cresho, I don't have the camera yet.. I was just looking at the pics posted on the web, and this was something I observed.. Since I have already put my money on the table, I was getting worried about this aspect and thought of asking here..
CraXJaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:20 PM   #4

Yes, the HS10 does have trouble with foliage on the wide end. I'm saying this from experience. But it does show good detail when zoomed in.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:34 AM   #5

Bear in mind, the camera is still QUITE new and we few that do have it are still learning it's intricacies of which there are MANY. I went through the very same thing with the Olympus SP570UZ. When I first got it, I took a lot of images and, quite frankly, thought I'd been had by the hype. It took MONTHS to find the sweet spots for different types of shooting.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Bear in mind, the camera is still QUITE new and we few that do have it are still learning it's intricacies of which there are MANY. I went through the very same thing with the Olympus SP570UZ. When I first got it, I took a lot of images and, quite frankly, thought I'd been had by the hype. It took MONTHS to find the sweet spots for different types of shooting.
You make a good point. I've seen some very good pictures taken with the HS10 by more experienced users, on Flickr & DPR.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:50 AM   #7

Exactly my thoughts. User expirience is a must to get those "WOW! factors squeezed in. I get some nice shots and I think it's the best I can do but I see others and I'm asking myself, "WHAT THE!" just as he said.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
Exactly my thoughts. User expirience is a must to get those "WOW! factors squeezed in. I get some nice shots and I think it's the best I can do but I see others and I'm asking myself, "WHAT THE!" just as he said.
The "trick" is, when you see a shot that impresses you with the same camera/equipment you have, ask the photo for EXIF or how he did it. More often than not, he/she will be more than happy to share the wealth.
My Gallery

--
Old Apr 20, 2010, 3:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
The "trick" is, when you see a shot that impresses you with the same camera/equipment you have, ask the photo for EXIF or how he did it. More often than not, he/she will be more than happy to share the wealth.
Yeah, but the EXIF only tells half the story. A lot happens at the moment you click the shutter. I can try to mimic the EXIF settings of a great shot, but if I don't have the same scenario or if I don't have the same steady hands as the other photographer, my pics won't come out as good.

It's more experience than anything else.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Yeah, but the EXIF only tells half the story. A lot happens at the moment you click the shutter. I can try to mimic the EXIF settings of a great shot, but if I don't have the same scenario or if I don't have the same steady hands as the other photographer, my pics won't come out as good.

It's more experience than anything else.
I agree. That's why it's important to ASK what the scenario was when the photog was shooting a given shot. I've found most folks will gladly tell you the circumstances/conditions they were shooting under. That is, of course, if you can contact them
My Gallery

--