Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default The Moon and Flowers

The HS10 arrived this afternoon and within an hour of getting off work, I was out shooting with it. I am more than impressed. Within the first dozen or so shots, I was comfortable with the camera, something I can say never happened with the Panasonic FZ-28 (Of course, having had an S6000 that I loved probably contributed to feeling familiar with the HS-10.)

Colors were outstanding, as on this iris.



I shortened DOF in post processing with a gaussian blur on the background. I was really amazed at the lack of noise, even when zoomed in at ridiculous levels.

Out in the field, I took equivalent shots of a pair of Canada geese with the HS-10 and a Pentax K-7 with a Sigma 50-500mm (Bigma). If the upper end zoom on the HS-10 is a 720mm equivalent, the image should be about the same zoom level as the Bigma, which on an APS-C camera has a zoom equivalence of 750mm with a 1.5 crop factor. In fact, the Fuji gave up a little bit of zoom, but not much, and the quality was excellent.



I did not want to fool with a tripod today, so the shot above, and the one below are both hand-held. The IS was a lifesaver, particularly when I pointed the camera upwards at an early evening moon (elbows braced on top of a car)



All in all, I'm even more impressed than I expected, and I expected a lot. It's not going to replace my DSLR's, but it's more than capable of handing those times when the whole kit is either unwelcome or inconvenient.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2010, 9:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Yeah, buddy!! All ya need now is a TCON-17 and you're good to go. I can't WAIT til someone comes out with a remotes shutter release for these bad boys.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Member
 
Strobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nawthen Hemisphere
Posts: 90
Default Remote Shutter Release ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Yeah, buddy!! I can't WAIT til someone comes out with a remotes shutter release for these bad boys.
Do you think this is really a possibility ? It is one accessory I think is sorely lacking for this camera.

Thanks for the info on the Tcon Gary.... looks like a lot of fun !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Member
 
Strobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nawthen Hemisphere
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
The HS10 arrived this afternoon and within an hour of getting off work, I was out shooting with it. I am more than impressed. Within the first dozen or so shots, I was comfortable with the camera, something I can say never happened with the Panasonic FZ-28 (Of course, having had an S6000 that I loved probably contributed to feeling familiar with the HS-10.)

Colors were outstanding, as on this iris.

Paul
Congrats ! Thanks for the post Paul and excellent color pix ! I keep going hot & cold on this camera, but you guys posting results of late is really getting me going ! Nice work ! I look forward to more of your thoughts !
Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
Do you think this is really a possibility ? It is one accessory I think is sorely lacking for this camera.

Thanks for the info on the Tcon Gary.... looks like a lot of fun !
It will happen, Ted. Not a doubt in my mind. Gadget Infinity is VERY innovative as are quite a few after-market designer/inventors.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:25 PM   #6
Member
 
Strobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nawthen Hemisphere
Posts: 90
Default Yeah, buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
It will happen, Ted. Not a doubt in my mind. Gadget Infinity is VERY innovative as are quite a few after-market designer/inventors.
Well I like the sounds of that !

If nothing else, this whole HS 10 endevour is teaching me to be patient !

Strobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:01 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW, TX, USA
Posts: 245
Default

Love the geese pics. You have steady hands

Can you share the EXIF on those. Thanks.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:59 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Love the geese pics. You have steady hands

Can you share the EXIF on those. Thanks.
Certainly. I wish Smugmug didn't strip off the EXIF when I host there.

On shot #1, the Iris, f/6.4, 1/30, ISO 200, focal length 8.9mm, Aperture Mode, Manual WB for shade.

On shot #2, the geese, f/6.4, 1/2200, ISO 800, focal length 74.9mm, Aperture Mode, AutoWB

On shot #3, the moon, f/9, 1/125, ISO 100, focal length 126mm, Manual Mode, AutoWB

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,092
Default

The moonshot I tried the first time freehanded gave me double vision. You have a steady hand.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW, TX, USA
Posts: 245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
Certainly. I wish Smugmug didn't strip off the EXIF when I host there.

On shot #1, the Iris, f/6.4, 1/30, ISO 200, focal length 8.9mm, Aperture Mode, Manual WB for shade.

On shot #2, the geese, f/6.4, 1/2200, ISO 800, focal length 74.9mm, Aperture Mode, AutoWB

On shot #3, the moon, f/9, 1/125, ISO 100, focal length 126mm, Manual Mode, AutoWB

Paul
The Geese look pretty good for ISO 800.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.