Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:27 AM   #11

I am not sure what I am recommended at this time as I am just still testing out the camera with the various sets of batteries that I have available. I have only used sets of batteries so far and until I use 15 or 20 sets I can't really say what I recommend.

I was just giving feedback as to what I had found so far.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 8:12 PM   #12

Well, if this isn't the darnedest thing! I put a set of Eneloops in after the Rayovac NiMH batteries finally gave out and I'm at 150 exposures and no warning! I don't know what I did differently. So far, so good and I'm a happy camper.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:55 AM   #13
ykl

With Uniross Hybrio-2100mA in fully charged condition, LCD shown 1 bar but it last for more than 200 shots with LCD ON and hall of them with flash.
Great.
ykl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:06 PM   #14

Update: The first of batteries used were the Emelops marked with 2000mha got 500 shots from them with battery warming at 170

Second set of batteries were impact NiMH batteries 2700mha. Got battery warning about 400 shots, got 700 shots from these batteries before it started to slow down and at 720 it died.

I have one additional set of enelopes and one set of 2900mha NiMH impact batteries I have not used yet. I chose to have 4 sets of batteries and carry them with me so I make sure no matter what happens I never run out. I feel confident that won't happen after testing these first 2 sets of batteries.

dave
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Update: The first of batteries used were the Emelops marked with 2000mha got 500 shots from them with battery warming at 170

Second set of batteries were impact NiMH batteries 2700mha. Got battery warning about 400 shots, got 700 shots from these batteries before it started to slow down and at 720 it died.

I have one additional set of enelopes and one set of 2900mha NiMH impact batteries I have not used yet. I chose to have 4 sets of batteries and carry them with me so I make sure no matter what happens I never run out. I feel confident that won't happen after testing these first 2 sets of batteries.

dave
Thanks for posting your experience. Seems like the HS10 like regular NiMH more than Enloops -- especially hi capacity ones. 720 pics with one set is pretty darn good!
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:28 AM   #16

Please post if you see any noticeable change in battery indicator behavior after the firmware update. Thanks.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:05 PM   #17

Here is another anecdotal observation: I had used a freshly reconditioned set of 1800 MAH NiMH rechargeables in the HS10 after receiving it and playing around with it with no card in - when I got ready to take pictures, the low battery icon was showing - I tested the batteries, which showed 60% capacity remaining. I used new Ray0vac hybrids for shooting with a lot of flash and auto focusing without shooting - when I took them out to replace them for the upgrade, they tested out at the same 60% capacity (Eneloops are also 1800 MAH, but the Rayovacs are unmarked) with no low battery warning. I used a fresh set of Rayovacs for the upgrade, tested before at 100% and after with 3 at 60% and one at 80% (which tells you why they require fresh batteries for the upgrade, which for some reason, uses a lot of juice). A sample of two doesn't really prove anything, but the triggering of the low warning by the NiMH batteries with so much capacity remaining, while the hybrids did not trigger it at the same capacity, may indicate that something about the battery characteristics may affect the warning threshold. Someone else had reported the opposite situation, so these anecdotal observations - which are not controlled experiments - don't really prove anything, as condition and both rated and remaining capacity of batteries can vary so much. The only thing we know for certain is that hybrid batteries retain their charge for a much longer time and do not bleed off their charge as conventional NiMH batteries do, so if your camera sits around unused for a while, the batteries are nore likely to still have useful life left if they use the hybrid technology.

One observation about the RayOvacs is that they are advertised to hold their charge for 6 months, while the Eneloops and some others say one year, so the failure of RayOvac to indicate the capacity of their batteries may be related to that shorter time. Any battery experts out there?

Last edited by penolta; Apr 28, 2010 at 2:08 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:07 PM   #18

Maybe , it is the way the HS10 measures the batteries, perhaps it measures the voltage drop , and compares this to a set minimum.
If this setting is programmed with a lab power supply, yeah no real drop , only a pre set minimum...if you get my drift .

I read that someone cold take more than 50 shots after the red battery mark came up , so this has to do something with voltage drops, and not consistent low voltage of the batteries otherwise the camera would shut down earlier.

Hopefully an other update can improve this also...

But the golden rule to charging batteries is : charge with 10 % of the capacity for 10 hours, than you get the maximum performance. And the batteries live longer.

That is what they told me in school (many years ago) and also the guys from GP , of course they sell fast chargers, that is for people that don't have time to wait.

The one i use is a Voltcraft , it is a slow charger and can be set in different load etc, it is also sold under other brand name i believe

greetz
Attached Images

Old Apr 29, 2010, 4:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post

dave
That is a very nice count , so it would be advisable to use the "normal" very high capacity like the 2700 mAh when you know that "very soon" a lot of shots will be taken and the batteries will be used completely.
On the other hand when only now and than a snapshot is taken, it is better to use the new kind , 2100 or 2000 mAh that do not or very slowly will run empty.
Sony and Varta claim their batteries will keep their juce for 1 year , will have to see that

Last edited by sprint; Apr 29, 2010 at 4:16 PM. Reason: typo
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Please post if you see any noticeable change in battery indicator behavior after the firmware update. Thanks.
Use the battery low level light comes on later in the cycle. Looks like it gives you 60 frame warning, but I need to test a few more sets of batteries to know for sure

dave