Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I don't let other people make a decision like that for me. DPR is a good place to go for solid specs on a camera. But, I stay away from their forums because of the way they act. If you have something they don't like, you are an idiot. There is no moderation at DPR so folks hide behind their anonymity to be nasty and downright cruel just for the sake of it. Not so here. These forums are a WAY different. And, the quality of the advice received here reflects that. Reviews here are as good or better than DPR. So, I come here to check the pulse on a given item.

It's YOUR camera, not theirs. If you like it, that's up to YOU... not them. I think I've shown how capable the HS10 is. BUT, I shoot within it's capabilities. I do not expect DSLR IQ or results because it's not DSLR. It's just one helluva good bridge camera. Bashing for the sake of bashing is just ignorant. You will always have a "Chevy vs. Ford", "Coke vs. Pepsi" thing going on. It's a matter of what YOU like.
gjtoth - Great points. Things do get nasty on DPR sometimes. I mostly go there to read-up on tips posted by a handful of very experienced members and they are the ones who have been consistently producing very good pictures with the HS10.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
well, really, giving the strong contrast of that bright sunny day. your web album looks quite good. and that right there is the kind of trip that a convenient, all-in-one superzoom is made for, and it seemed to do its job admirably.

i don't own one myself, so i can't really comment further. but it seems 1 main complaint is softness at full tele, which you can either look at as a major detractor, or realize that max tele is 720mm there when you absolutely need it, but how often is that, mostly u will be in the sub 500mm range anyway.

to me, from hearsay, and whatever, as long as users remember its a small sensor camera, and keep it within its intended jobs, it does quite nice.
Hards80 - Thanks for the kind words.

The pictures on the long-end of the zoom do tend to come-out a bit soft, especially when hand-held. But they seem to be very good when using a tripod. Even if they turn-out soft, a bit of sharpening usually fixes the problem. The close-ups of the Lions were all taken at full-zoom, and I'm quite happy with them.

The shoot at the zoo was a mixed bag, mainly because I had accidentally set the Flash setting to ON in the menu; so my P, A & S mode pictures were consistently coming out underexposed with a green color cast. I only discovered the problem after coming home and viewing the EXIF info. Fortunately I also took many pictures in the Auto mode, which turned out okay albeit with high ISO.

This camera definitely has a learning curve and I'm not likely to make the same mistake with the settings again
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:03 PM   #13

Well I am very pleased with mine overall. The only thing I dislike....no hate!....is the EVF. The hole is just too small and I find the colour has a slight red cast. Even with adjusting the diopeter I find that the view is just not clear at the edges. Maybe I just have wierd eyes! I have found that I tend to use the screen more anyway.

I still have an old Finepix 602 zoom and the EVF is way better on that - sorry Fuji! Other than that the HS10 is my true love
Cornwall David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:59 PM   #14

I will be starting a thread about batteries when I've posted this, so anyone with issues in that area can share my experience. On returning the HS10...
Nearly, but no.
Sadly I don't have much time to play and don't live in a photgenic area but I hope to get out on Sunday. In the meantime I've been reading the manual and generally playing with all the controls. Battery issues aside (see new thread) my initial reaction was that the HS10 is plasticky, the zoom is sticky, the control wheel is badly placed and the buttons are a bit too light - it's very easy to press one by mistake. Having said that this can be turned to advantage by getting your fingers in the right places, for example to toggle between shoot and replay modes with the base of your thumb.
I'm disappointed about the lack of a remote, a PC socket and the ability to delete the last frame in shoot mode.
I've now got used to the plasticky body (I was comparing with my old Minolta H7i which was beautifully made but is dead) and the light buttons but I still find the control wheel arkward and the zoom is just not suitable for use with video recording. Fortunately I'm not into video. I can only hope that a remote becomes available soon.
Other than that, I like it and have taken a few indoor and macro shots and it seems to perfom reasonably. I find it over-exposes slightly in dark conditions on auto but this can be corrected. Similarly, the LCD colour rendtition seems to be a bit on the blue side - I found it impossible to get a true likeness for purple (indoors, both natural light & flash with all combinations of WB, etc.) but on the computer screen the colour was very close.
It would have been nice to have been able to assign a different function to the EVF/LCD button when it's in auto-switch mode but you can't have everything. There are many good points about the camera: the 30x zoom is, of course, the highlight (and I suspect the reason we all bought it) but I like the relatively spartan menus and I have found that you can get a small external flash seated properly in the hotshoe and operating in tandem with the built-in flash, so you can have both bounce and fill without the need to a whopping sized gun. Not TTL but never mind. In this case small is beautiful!
The focus ring is difficult to operate because the flash housing is in the way but that's in keeping with all the compacts that have a manual ring. The separate video record button is a nice touch even though I won't be using it much.
So, all in all I'm happy, given that you can never have everything on your wish-list. I suspect the price will drop away sharply after the first year and at that point the HS10 will be a bargain.

Last edited by daved163; Apr 23, 2010 at 4:35 PM.
daved163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:07 PM   #15

Damned ... why return?
I have not even got it!

Why return ... if 9.999 people cannot handle it?
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 3:21 PM   #16

well, those 9.9999999 people should get a dslr camera. instead.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:40 PM   #17

im keeping it-the camera has its issues, what camera doesnt? but the good stuff about the HS-10 outweigh the negatives by far. as for DPR, it is what it is, they get so many hits there everyday and the mods can't possibly keep up with the site traffic, so the site gets crazy every few months.
nomad147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad147 View Post
im keeping it-the camera has its issues, what camera doesnt? but the good stuff about the HS-10 outweigh the negatives by far. as for DPR, it is what it is, they get so many hits there everyday and the mods can't possibly keep up with the site traffic, so the site gets crazy every few months.
I agree. However, when someone files a complaint and no action (at least visibly) is taken, they may as well just have no moderation at all.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:56 PM   #19

Gary has raised an excellent point-

DPR can get really knock them down and drag them out much more than infrequently.If you have sensitive feelings, you had probably best stay away from those forums based on what I have found and experienced.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:16 PM   #20
Super Moderator

thing is, is usually cyclical. when first a camera is released, DPR fanatics tear it apart, and people return it.

fast-forward 4 months. all of a sudden that same camera is not a gem, and people are buying them back, even ppl that had sold one.

not with every camera, but its pretty darn common.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote