Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
thing is, is usually cyclical. when first a camera is released, DPR fanatics tear it apart, and people return it.

fast-forward 4 months. all of a sudden that same camera is not a gem, and people are buying them back, even ppl that had sold one.

not with every camera, but its pretty darn common.
There's enough camera snobbery and pixel-peeping going on there to keep me from participating in any of their Oly forums and it seems they're ALL like that. JUST before I got the HS10, I popped over and lurked. It had already started and the bloody thing wasn't even released!! That was my cue to get one!

You're absolutely correct, Dustin. That's the way they operate. Instead of being supportive, they just can't WAIT for a new camera to fail so they can call the new owners suckers and "prove themselves right". Well, it backfires on them so often, you'd think they'd realize they ain't so freakin' smart.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I agree. However, when someone files a complaint and no action (at least visibly) is taken, they may as well just have no moderation at all.
I'v started clicking the Ignore User button on some of the users who have nothing positive to contribute to the discussion and use every thread to bash the camera and the folks who are happy with it.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 11:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
thing is, is usually cyclical. when first a camera is released, DPR fanatics tear it apart, and people return it.

fast-forward 4 months. all of a sudden that same camera is not a gem, and people are buying them back, even ppl that had sold one.

not with every camera, but its pretty darn common.
You are right on point. There are many bashers who did exactly that with the S100 and S200, now they are doing it to the HS10.

Last edited by 2raj; Apr 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:39 AM   #24

Default DPR Forms..guus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Hello,

I play with the Fuji H 10 for about three weeks now and I like the camera a lot. I 'll keep it.
Yes indeed there is HS 10 banging going on on DPR.
They did it with the S100 fs, with the S200 EXR and now with the HS 10.
The better the camera gets, the more banging there is on DPR.
DPR is SLR territory and they are fighting an already lost battle.
It is a nasty site, better to keep away from it.

Regards,

guus
Nice photo...I'm been following the HS10 here and on DPR for the past few weeks. I agreed some of the forms on DPR have some very opinionated people..while others like the (DPR) KM form are quite good.
The HS10 has created another dslr vs the rest debate...I started a thread on the KM (DPR) form which has prompted some very interesting and informative comments. I'm trying to decide whether to go supersoom or dslr.
Coolsiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 6:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsiggy View Post
Nice photo...I'm been following the HS10 here and on DPR for the past few weeks. I agreed some of the forms on DPR have some very opinionated people..while others like the (DPR) KM form are quite good.
The HS10 has created another dslr vs the rest debate...I started a thread on the KM (DPR) form which has prompted some very interesting and informative comments. I'm trying to decide whether to go supersoom or dslr.
It all depends on your requirements. Each has its own benefits and detractors. Only you can make a decision based upon your needs. I will say this, however - on paper, the HS10 looks like every other superzoom bridge camera. It's a different story when one starts to actually use it for a while. That's when it shines.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:22 AM   #26

Returning the cam? What... Not a chance!

I promised earlier to say a few things about it, so here we go:

I previously owned the minolta dimage z1 as a first superzoom; not a very pretty cam; from there I switched to the panasonic fz20 (very nice), the FZ50 (great!), the Casio EX-F1 (big gadget, working and yet unsurpassed true unique features) and the panasonic LX3 (bigtime wideangle lowlight hero) and recently the sony hx5v for lightweight travel purposes.

So, I didn't expect miracles from a 1/2.3 " BSI bla bla cmos sensor. But I experienced the benefit from a cmos sensor over ccd (the casio ex-f1); I learned the benefits from slr-like controllability (the FZ50), and the benefit from 24mm wideangle (the LX3). The HS10 combines it all in to one, but obviously couldn't have done so without dropping some of the goodies from the above mentioned cameras.

What I like:

-Menu-diving is rare with this cam. Once you know the setup is right, you can control the cam with all it's dedicated buttons. A BIG plus.

-The EVF is pretty well usable with (sun)glasses. Ever since I invested in a good sports sunglasses, glare from the sides is no issue anymore. The WB in the EVF screen is a bit off, but I don't consider it a real problem, because I know the auto WB will do a good enough job.

-Battery life is perfectly average (with proper batteries and cam setup)

What I don't like:

-Exposure compensation can't be controlled with arrow buttons, making it slower to tweak.

-Control rings are burried under the flash; especially the manual focusring is difficult to reach, and it gets much worse when the cam in mounted on a tripod.

-Minimum shutter is ISO dependent; The higher the iso, the faster the slowest shutter.

-screen goes black after every shot, making panning more difficult; especially when shooting a burst.

-Movie function is a bit of a joke; The IS does more damage than good; there's no smooth zooming with the ring, and there's a constant clickling noise of the focus at work. The worst HD videofunction I have come across so far.

All in all the downsides mentioned above aren't likely to get in the way very often. Which so leaves a brilliant versatile and controllable camera that's ready for just about anything in seconds; It's what I expected and what I got. Return it? Didn't think so!

Happy shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 2:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
Hi all. There is some heavy discussion going on DPR about the pros and cons of the HS10.

Some have returned it and are very loud about why they did it, almost to a point of bashing all the folks who are still hanging on to their HS10s.

I've had mine for about 2-weeks and I've had mixed results with my camera -- good and bad pics, and some quirkiness with the camera. Still haven't quite made up my mind about keeping it.

Here are my latest pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nidwannaya/ForthWorthZoo#

There are still no good professional reviews available for the camera so I was wondering if any on this forum have returned their HS10 or are planning to do so soon. And what are the reasons for doing so.

Not looking for HS10 bashing, just honest opinions.
I've sell the HS10 allready!
I don't like the: Viewfinder to small.
Full HD is disapointed.
Manual zoom is not running smooth.

more on http://leonphoto.woelmuis.nl
LeonDorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2010, 3:50 AM   #28

... and man behind camera is a dude ?
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:35 AM   #29

I agree also 100%

well said !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I don't let other people make a decision like that for me. DPR is a good place to go for solid specs on a camera. But, I stay away from their forums because of the way they act. If you have something they don't like, you are an idiot. There is no moderation at DPR so folks hide behind their anonymity to be nasty and downright cruel just for the sake of it. Not so here. These forums are a WAY different. And, the quality of the advice received here reflects that. Reviews here are as good or better than DPR. So, I come here to check the pulse on a given item.

It's YOUR camera, not theirs. If you like it, that's up to YOU... not them. I think I've shown how capable the HS10 is. BUT, I shoot within it's capabilities. I do not expect DSLR IQ or results because it's not DSLR. It's just one helluva good bridge camera. Bashing for the sake of bashing is just ignorant. You will always have a "Chevy vs. Ford", "Coke vs. Pepsi" thing going on. It's a matter of what YOU like.
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 5:45 AM   #30

Ok , give those people a hint of which DSLR they should buy for the price of an HS10 , with the same main features.

QUOTE=Cresho;1084205]well, those 9.9999999 people should get a dslr camera. instead.[/QUOTE]
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote