Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:01 AM   #1

Default HS10: Who's returned or returning it?

Hi all. There is some heavy discussion going on DPR about the pros and cons of the HS10.

Some have returned it and are very loud about why they did it, almost to a point of bashing all the folks who are still hanging on to their HS10s.

I've had mine for about 2-weeks and I've had mixed results with my camera -- good and bad pics, and some quirkiness with the camera. Still haven't quite made up my mind about keeping it.

Here are my latest pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/nidwannaya/ForthWorthZoo#

There are still no good professional reviews available for the camera so I was wondering if any on this forum have returned their HS10 or are planning to do so soon. And what are the reasons for doing so.

Not looking for HS10 bashing, just honest opinions.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

well, really, giving the strong contrast of that bright sunny day. your web album looks quite good. and that right there is the kind of trip that a convenient, all-in-one superzoom is made for, and it seemed to do its job admirably.

i don't own one myself, so i can't really comment further. but it seems 1 main complaint is softness at full tele, which you can either look at as a major detractor, or realize that max tele is 720mm there when you absolutely need it, but how often is that, mostly u will be in the sub 500mm range anyway.

to me, from hearsay, and whatever, as long as users remember its a small sensor camera, and keep it within its intended jobs, it does quite nice.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:35 AM   #3

I don't let other people make a decision like that for me. DPR is a good place to go for solid specs on a camera. But, I stay away from their forums because of the way they act. If you have something they don't like, you are an idiot. There is no moderation at DPR so folks hide behind their anonymity to be nasty and downright cruel just for the sake of it. Not so here. These forums are a WAY different. And, the quality of the advice received here reflects that. Reviews here are as good or better than DPR. So, I come here to check the pulse on a given item.

It's YOUR camera, not theirs. If you like it, that's up to YOU... not them. I think I've shown how capable the HS10 is. BUT, I shoot within it's capabilities. I do not expect DSLR IQ or results because it's not DSLR. It's just one helluva good bridge camera. Bashing for the sake of bashing is just ignorant. You will always have a "Chevy vs. Ford", "Coke vs. Pepsi" thing going on. It's a matter of what YOU like.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:21 AM   #4

Agreeeee!

If people ask "Which bag for my xxx" or "Which lens for a one year trip to Canada/Chile/SouthernTurkmenistan ..."
then I think, they also daily cry for Mum to get their hot drinking chocolate.

Beware! Internet = 98.5% idiots!

Look at me: I've nothing to say in real life ... I'VE INTERNET!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:42 AM   #5

Hello,

I play with the Fuji H 10 for about three weeks now and I like the camera a lot. I 'll keep it.
Yes indeed there is HS 10 banging going on on DPR.
They did it with the S100 fs, with the S200 EXR and now with the HS 10.
The better the camera gets, the more banging there is on DPR.
DPR is SLR territory and they are fighting an already lost battle.
It is a nasty site, better to keep away from it.

Regards,

guus
Attached Images

guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:48 AM   #6

Beautiful capture, Guus! That's a framer!!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:23 AM   #7

Great shot, Guus-

That perfect lighting really enhance the photo.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:29 AM   #8

A tip of the hat to Gary-

You really hit upon the central issue that Dustin first introduced. Like it or not, the Fuji HS-10 is a small imager super zoom camera. When seen in that context, you can more honestly evaluate the camera. If you use that as your frame of reference, you will see that it is a very effective camera.

However, if you use a DSLR as your comparison camera, your evaluation, naturally will be quite different, simply because the H-10 is not a DSLR camera. As Gary put it so well, you have to evaluate the HS-10 yourself, and not let others evaluate it for you.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guus View Post
Hello,

I play with the Fuji H 10 for about three weeks now and I like the camera a lot. I 'll keep it.
Yes indeed there is HS 10 banging going on on DPR.
They did it with the S100 fs, with the S200 EXR and now with the HS 10.
The better the camera gets, the more banging there is on DPR.
DPR is SLR territory and they are fighting an already lost battle.
It is a nasty site, better to keep away from it.

Regards,

guus
Lovely picture.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
A tip of the hat to Gary-

You really hit upon the central issue that Dustin first introduced. Like it or not, the Fuji HS-10 is a small imager super zoom camera. When seen in that context, you can more honestly evaluate the camera. If you use that as your frame of reference, you will see that it is a very effective camera.

However, if you use a DSLR as your comparison camera, your evaluation, naturally will be quite different, simply because the H-10 is not a DSLR camera. As Gary put it so well, you have to evaluate the HS-10 yourself, and not let others evaluate it for you.

Sarah Joyce
Hi Sarah - I'm evaluating the camera myself. Not letting others frame my opinion. I never expected DSLR quality from it; mainly bought it for the wide to zoom flexibility and a go anywhere camera, since I like to travel light wit my family. I think the HS10 fits the bill very well.