Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 27, 2010, 8:20 PM   #1

Default HS10 Sports Shooting Test

Today I had the chance for 4 hours to shoot images of a USTA Female Tennis Tournament. I AM NOT A PRO and did not expect to come away with 100s of Pro level images. I was doing this as a test of the camera to see what it would do.

- I tried the following modes for shooting high speed frames 10 --> 3fps each using P, S and Sports Mode. I also had the high speed shooting mode set in camera menu

- The card was a class 6 micro SDHC in an SDHC adapter.

- I had to get used to the cameras shutter as when I pushed the shutter it seems to take a seconds to even as long as 1.5 seconds before the action started to record thus missing the first half of an action batch. After shooting for a while I got used to pressing button earlier and got images I could use.

- It is not the kind of focusing system for the high speed action pro sports photographer......

- What I found worked best for me after the first hour of testing was to shoot in sports mode at 3fps.... that would usually produce at least 1 images I wanted to save in each burst.

- I did wish many times that it had a 3fps continuous burst mode that was longer in length say 30 frames... so I could follow the player more and get more shots to choose from

- I also disliked the fact that all the frames showed up in the view finder when the burst was finished shooting and stayed their until they were finished writing to the card coupled with the screen going completely blank before I coukd shoot again. Sure I know you have to wait but I wish I could keep following the action on the camera and preset the focus etc to get the next batch ready to shoot quicker.

- Battery life was better than expected and even better than the first two sets of batteries I used in the camera -- NOTE I installed firmware 1.1 update last night. I shoot over 800 frames on the first set of batteries and 400 on the second set (still no battery warning light). I used eneloops for first set and 2300mha NiMH for second set.

- Out of 1200 frames I ended up saving 167 of them. I won't be posting any of them here but they were good enough to save.

- Using the camera to shoot sports is not what it is intended for although I can see parents grabbing a few frames of their kids playing a sport once they master the burst mode and slight shutter lag issue.

- For me the camera is not going to be known as a camera used to shot sports and for what I really need it for and use it for (a working camera as Sarah Joyce called it, covering stuff for a local newspaper and fire-rescue) its working out just fine for me.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 6:30 AM   #2

Hello Dave,

Most compacts will act like this. With sports, it works better to prefocus and lock exposure, wait for the action, and full press when things start to get interesting. That way there's no waiting for the focus and the aperture to be set.

The burst writing is just one thing where no miracles can be expected from a compact. If it goes through a buffer, you'll find yourself waiting; a larger buffer (like 30 frames) will only have you wait longer after each go. One camera will show the pictures, another will show a black screen with the word 'writing..' on the display.

I'd personally say 167 successful images isn't that bad at all; Sports / action is very challenging to get really good results with.
Once you detach from the emotional band that you have with the images because you took them, and reselect, you'll probably be left with 10 to 20 that are worth showing to the world. And those will eventually be the pictures you will love watching back yourself. Speaking for myself, if I return from a 1 day event, and I have 10 - 20 photos that look really good (so not just because I liked them), I'm a very happy man

Happy shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:45 AM   #3

Dave - I think it would really help other users or potential users of the camera if you shared some of the action shots you kept. I'm sure the soccer moms/dads out there would appreciate seeing what the camera is capable of if they want to use it for their kids sports. For most parents, they're looking for "good enough", not professional. So seeing the image can help them determine if it is 'good enough'.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:34 AM   #4

+1. It would help.

I don't know that most average users like me are going to take 1200 shots. But I guess he was taking multiples every time he pushed the shutter button. Wow that's a lot of shots in 4 hours. 5/minute.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:42 AM   #5

Yes I was using the burst mode to make sure I got images......

dave
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:45 AM   #6
Super Moderator

If you are able to post some of the shots it really would be of a benefit as we all know the HS10 is hot news at the moment and people want to see all aspects of it.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:51 AM   #7

At the request of John G.... Do not criticize these too much as I did not plan to post these as they are not pro level shots. But since John G thinks I need to post them I am posting a few samples.

dave

Boyd Tinsley $50,000 USTA Womens Tennis Tournament at Boards Head Inn - Charlottesville VA
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:52 AM   #8

A couple more

dave
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
If you are able to post some of the shots it really would be of a benefit as we all know the HS10 is hot news at the moment and people want to see all aspects of it.
I just did Mark. I didn't at first because I don;t feel their pro level and didn't want negative feedback from the members about why I would even try to get pro shots with a non-pro camera. But after I saw the post from John G requesting I post some I did. Hope they are not too bad.

dave
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
+1. It would help.

That would have made the picture way way too bright

I don't know that most average users like me are going to take 1200 shots. But I guess he was taking multiples every time he pushed the shutter button. Wow that's a lot of shots in 4 hours. 5/minute.

Bob S.
was using burst mode most of the time in order to get good action shots