Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:05 AM   #1

Default Difference between Fujifilm HS 10 1.0 and 1.1

Hello,

I noticed that the firmware update is a huge improvement. JPEG's show more fine detail.
Below is an exampje of this.
The first photo is 1.0, the second is 1.1.
Notice the difference in the grey chairs.
The first shows no structure in the grey, the second does.
Dynamic Range has also improved.
Not bad at all for a $ 500,- camera with such a lense.

Regards,

guus
Attached Images

guus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:22 AM   #2
Super Moderator

well the lighting is all different, and there is no exif data.

so while it is nice you think that the firmware has improved image quality. posting a small resized image without exif and appropriate 100% crops tells us nothing of the sharpness and or details.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Hards80 - The IQ has improved because the higher DR settings don't smear the images as much (less compressed - slightly larger file sizes).

There are many examples on DPR. I've also seen sharper images with my HS10 since the firmware update, especially the foliage is not mushy like before.
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Super Moderator

2raj - yea, i read the release notes. and have seen the examples. and i agree it was a good update, the compression is a nice step forward.

i am just saying if people are going to just post a test shot and say, look at the differences, and using those photos as the basis. then they have to provide the viewer the proper means to judge it as well. shoot the same scene with the same paramaters and camera settings with intact exif and 100% crop.

if you just want to say, "First pics from my new camera" and give some personal opinions, then that is ok. but if your sole purpose of displaying a photo is to to back-up some statement, then you have to include the right stuff.

that is my only point here. not meant in anyway to pass judgement on the camera or firmware. i personally think the hs10 does what it set out to do quite well.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Administrator

While the firmware may improve Image Quality, you really can't judge any improvement from those photos. They're just too different from a composition and lighting perspective.

From what I can see of the differences, my guess is that the second image would appear to be better even if the firmware versions were reversed (i.e., using the newer firmware for the first photo and older firmware for the second photo), due to better lighting in the second photo, with different composition, gray chairs making up a larger percentage of the frame (meaning more pixels representing them), tilted so they're getting more light, etc.. The lighting looks like it got brighter in the second image, too.

Lighting can make a huge difference in image quality, and lighting can change a lot in a short period of time. ;-)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...0seconds.shtml

In other words, you'd need to do controlled conditions testing to see what kind of improvement the new firmware would make (identical subjects, lighting, composition, camera settings, etc.). Those two photos are just too different to come to any conclusions on the benefits of the newer firmware.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
While the firmware may improve Image Quality, you really can't judge any improvement from those photos. They're just too different from a composition and lighting perspective.

From what I can see of the differences, my guess is that the second image would appear to be better even if the firmware versions were reversed (i.e., using the newer firmware for the first photo and older firmware for the second photo), due to better lighting in the second photo, with different composition, gray chairs making up a larger percentage of the frame (meaning more pixels representing them), tilted so they're getting more light, etc.. The lighting looks like it got brighter in the second image, too.

Lighting can make a huge difference in image quality, and lighting can change a lot in a short period of time. ;-)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...0seconds.shtml

In other words, you'd need to do controlled conditions testing to see what kind of improvement the new firmware would make (identical subjects, lighting, composition, camera settings, etc.). Those two photos are just too different to come to any conclusions on the benefits of the newer firmware.
I'm looking forward to have the HS10 in the "imaging resource Comparometer" - in that way it's picture quality can be tested thoroughly.
Claus
Tresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i am just saying if people are going to just post a test shot and say, look at the differences, and using those photos as the basis. then they have to provide the viewer the proper means to judge it as well. shoot the same scene with the same paramaters and camera settings with intact exif and 100% crop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

Thanks for the clarification. I agree with both your comments. For a true comparison, the settings and conditions have to match -- best done in a controlled environment. Hope someone does that soon.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raj View Post
For a true comparison, the settings and conditions have to match -- best done in a controlled environment. Hope someone does that soon.
Do you make photos or do you compare firmwares?
Each minute for comparing = losen lifetime!
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
Do you make photos or do you compare firmwares?
Each minute for comparing = losen lifetime!
Looks like things are getting nasty here as well. Can't we make a comment without getting bashed by someone. Really sad.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:11 PM   #10
Super Moderator

The HS10 seems to be a real source of emotion here. More-so than any other camera I have seen recently.