Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 4, 2003, 11:48 AM   #1
mik

Default whats the deal......12,6,3?

im a bit confused, i dont know if the

s500 is really 6mp or 3mp

and if the

s7000 is 12 mp or 6 mp................

need some assistance...

thnks :roll:
mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2003, 2:21 PM   #2

S5000 is a 3mp camera. Fuji uses a interpolation mode that will provide 6mp photos. Not a great idea as far as I am concerned. It is a great 3mp camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2003, 2:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
S5000 is a 3mp camera. Fuji uses a interpolation mode that will provide 6mp photos. Not a great idea as far as I am concerned. It is a great 3mp camera.
the same with S7000, it is a 6MP camera and uses interpolation to 12MP

and i'm darn happy with it ... i tell you man, the AF is FAST!!

Rgds...another happy camper
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:14 AM   #4

It's misleading if you don't know the difference. I feel no company should have to "fudge" the numbers to make it "look" better in print.

It borders on a scam of sorts. I haven't seen any other manufactures that do it (yet)!
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:42 PM   #5

well Bruce, the truth is shooting with 12MP fine is very much better than other resolutions. i have one one test on this and i'm very much impressed with the outcome.

this is my amateurl testing: what i did was i shoot the same subject iwth diff resolution -12MPfine, 12MPnormal, 6MP. i shoot in RAW but have yet to master the RAW file conversion thingy. IMHO, the result of 12MP soft is very much sharper than the rest.

well, my exp was not that detail but for my standard it is much better than shooting in other resolutions. off course when you see it 1:1 the image would not that good for PC viewing. i downsampled to lower resolution and it is better (for my standard).

my 2 cents

faizal
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6

Fuji's interpolation is done because it is needed to make use of the diagnolly placed sensors on their chips.

Here is the format in which the sensor samples spatial data(X=sensor)

X X X
_X X
X X X

See, the sensor positions are not aligned in a square format. In order to create a square format output to have a usable image on standard graphics systems/computers/display systems, they have to insert pixels into the grid (0=interpolated pixel)

X0X0X
0X0X0
X0X0X

They use a diagnol layout because it resolves more verticle/horiztonal resolution, as opposed to a traditional square layout sensor that resolved higher diagnol resolution.

Does the technique work? Well, the evidence so far from seeral fuji cameras show quite an increased resolution over all other bayer cameras of the same MP rating, such as the S602, F700, S1, S2, etc.

Does the S5000 apply? IN reality? No. In my analysis of the s5000, compared to a Canon 3MP, using a 2-3% tolerance FOV, the cameas resolved nearly identical detail/resolution. It is likely the lens is the limiting factor on the S5000. The compact fuji using th same 3MP HR sensor has much higher measured resolution. SO, it seems like the lens is to blame. But, this is still speculation.

The 3MP mode of the S5000 willl have lower resolution then the 6MP mode, though. The 3MP mode is a downsampled version of the 6MP file; therefor spatial data must be lost when downsampling.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote