Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 1, 2010, 12:35 AM   #1

Default Bait and Switch on HS10

I was shopping for the HS10 after reading just about every word written on these forums. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Went to Google Shopping and found a HS10 for $436 OMG what a heck of a price...went to the site and low and behold the price was really $471.

The site http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...CNQCEIMIME44AA

A company called Circuit Block. So I wrote them an email. I explained that the lower price was listed for several days and I would not be spending my consumer $ with them and that I would be passing the word on them. They sent me this:

Hello,
We pulled google feeds two days ago, since there was a listing error on pricing. Also, it takes 72 hours for the google feeds to be whipped out of their data base... That can be confirmed by google if you contact them.
Thanks,
Thank You,
Circuit Block

Went back on Google the price was different but still low and the price when you got to the website again higher than advertised. Sent another email to them and this is their response.

You can certainly do what you think is right, we have fixed the issue with google, and as stated in our previous email, it takes time to update the google feed database. We at circuit block don't appreciate receiving threatening emails. Also, we think that there are bigger things to complain about on social media than a pricing error that's being fixed. By reading this email you agree to seize any further communication with us that is Harassing.
Thanks
Circuit Block
Thank You,
Circuit Block

Anyway just wanted you all to be aware of this company's practices.

Have a good day!
Tangohkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2010, 8:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangohkr View Post
I was shopping for the HS10 after reading just about every word written on these forums. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Went to Google Shopping and found a HS10 for $436 OMG what a heck of a price...went to the site and low and behold the price was really $471.

The site http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...CNQCEIMIME44AA

A company called Circuit Block. So I wrote them an email. I explained that the lower price was listed for several days and I would not be spending my consumer $ with them and that I would be passing the word on them. They sent me this:

Hello,
We pulled google feeds two days ago, since there was a listing error on pricing. Also, it takes 72 hours for the google feeds to be whipped out of their data base... That can be confirmed by google if you contact them.
Thanks,
Thank You,
Circuit Block

Went back on Google the price was different but still low and the price when you got to the website again higher than advertised. Sent another email to them and this is their response.

You can certainly do what you think is right, we have fixed the issue with google, and as stated in our previous email, it takes time to update the google feed database. We at circuit block don't appreciate receiving threatening emails. Also, we think that there are bigger things to complain about on social media than a pricing error that's being fixed. By reading this email you agree to seize any further communication with us that is Harassing.
Thanks
Circuit Block
Thank You,
Circuit Block

Anyway just wanted you all to be aware of this company's practices.

Have a good day!
Sometimes it pays to deal with reputable companies like Adorama, B&H, Newegg, etc. just because you can rest assured they will do the right by you if things head south. I got mine from B&H and when I approached them about what I thought was a problem, they IMMEDIATELY responded with an offer of a replacement.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3

I totally agree. I was just so surprised to see that low of a price. I wish there was more accountability for advertised price versus actual price on the website.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangohkr View Post
I totally agree. I was just so surprised to see that low of a price. I wish there was more accountability for advertised price versus actual price on the website.
Mama used to say, "If it seems too good to be true..."
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Sometimes it pays to deal with reputable companies like Adorama, B&H, Newegg, etc. just because you can rest assured they will do the right by you if things head south. I got mine from B&H and when I approached them about what I thought was a problem, they IMMEDIATELY responded with an offer of a replacement.
Got mine from BH, also - they had it in stock the entire time I was doing my research and deciding if I was going to purchase the HS10 (about a week, I think). Fast shipping and with the "Bill me later" option, I do not have too pay for it untill November with no interest - I should have the camera figured out by then! I would reccomend them also.

Normally I like to purchase things locally, there's no such thing around here - closest camera shop is about an hour away, and they only sell Nikon & Cannon, and Best Buy (also an hour away) - at least they had the Sony & Panasonic, but no large Fuji's.
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 11:38 AM   #6

Now is it bait and switch, I thought that was when they charged you extra for things that come as standard? This just seems to be mispricing to me!
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7
Super Moderator

i actually tend to believe that there was no bait and switch here.

for me it is entirely plausible that Google does in fact not update their pricing regularly.

especially since they had the correct price on THEIR website, which is really the only thing you can go by. if they had a price on their website and then when you went to order and they tried to increase it, then i would say it was a bait and switch.

it sounds like you may have overreacted and been overly abrasive to them in your contact with them.

they are really only responsible for the price on their own website. if that is correct, then there is no wrong-doings on their part.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 1:56 PM   #8

I've always had that problem with Google shopping no matter what store it is.
SuperGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 6:51 PM   #9

I watched the price for several days and went to the website during that time and the price was as I stated. When I went back on Google after the first email, their price (on Google) had changed but was still not correct. It was low enough so that if some one chose the low to high price option their camera would be first. So they had at least updated the price but still wrong.

Bait and switch to me is you baited me with this low price and when I get to your website you switch your advertised price to a higher one.

Just wanted to FYI for anyone who looks at the lowest priced item first.

SuperGrover, thanks I've never really used them before but I do price shop.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:24 PM   #10

fyi, newegg has a 30 day return policy. not enough time for me. usually bait and switch is when an item is advertised at a really good price but when you try to buy it, the store is sold out but will sell you another item which is just like the one you want! not. the point is to get you into the store.

if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. that said, i'm going nuts waiting to get my hands on an hs10! fortunately, i just found someone to buy my new canon sx1 is. i hope the fuji makes me happier than the canon did(n't).

Last edited by ellenfl; May 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM.
ellenfl is offline   Reply With Quote