Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 3, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1

Default HS-10 review at Cameratown

For what it's worth.

http://tinyurl.com/39euhov

I tend to take this with a salt mine. It's obvious he didn't do much with it after the firmware upgrade. Too bad.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 12:24 PM   #2

Thanks for the link. We got our HS-10 eval unit in today, so look forward to our in-depth review in the coming weeks!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 12:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
For what it's worth.

http://tinyurl.com/39euhov

I tend to take this with a salt mine. It's obvious he didn't do much with it after the firmware upgrade. Too bad.
He did cover a lot of the features in the review which is nice but he seems to be at odds with your results. Does the camera only do birds, squirells, flowers, one fish and the moon really well? ;>)

Me thinks it's the user once again and maybe he didn't "learn" the camera well enough before testing it?

Maybe he should explain some of your results.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4

Billy:

Make sure to get the firmware updated and then reset the menu and you'll enjoy the camera. Once I did those two things the camera worked very very very well.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 1:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Billy:

Make sure to get the firmware updated and then reset the menu and you'll enjoy the camera. Once I did those two things the camera worked very very very well.
Will do, thanks!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 1:16 PM   #6

Looks to me that all the HS10 lovers are looking for one good review and are just going to hang on that. They seem to dismiss a bad review and slag of the reviewer.
scoobydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydude View Post
Looks to me that all the HS10 lovers are looking for one good review and are just going to hang on that. They seem to dismiss a bad review and slag of the reviewer.
Product / brand affinity certainly causes some bias towards reviews; I think everyone 'suffers' from it to some extend. Reviewers do too; No matter what, you're always comparing; So basically it's what you're comparing the reviewed product with (whether it's a another product or an expectancy) that will decide whether the product is concluded to be 'good' or 'not so good'.

Reviews are guidelines only; Every reviewer and user will approach the product with a different prejudice. I bought my HS10 based on what I expected and it worked fine. Haven't read any review so far; just a hands on preview before I bought it, and some sample movies on youtube. Out of curiosity, I'll check the review here, and on dpreview (should they review it). But there's little benefit, since I already own the product, and by user experience decided it suits me. Then again, reading reviews or the manual can explain things you don't yet understand; The thing is you learn.

It's down to the individual to decide if a review can be trusted; the bias, knowledge and experience of the individual will affect the 'factuality level' of that conclusion. There are many people on this planet, and just about as many opinions. It's down to the individual to distinguish the facts from the opinions, and the bashing from the opinions he / she benefit from. That too takes experience. My point: lovers and bashers will be around 'till kingdom come. Expect lovers in HS10 based threads

Happy Shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydude View Post

Have you looked at some of the photos on here? Seems like you can get some pretty nice results. I also don't think that the aforementioned review was a bad one. It seems the reviewer isn't completely happy with the picture quality. Compared to what? If I hadn't just bought a new camera I'd be impressed as it does a lot of what I'm looking for. Some of the reviewers complaints are the exact same ones I have with my s200EXR like the viewfinder and focus ring. But it's less than $500 with honker of a lens on it that he seemed to praise. I think people on here are taking an honest look at it for what it is. Just my 2 cents but maybe I'm or or

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:35 PM   #9
Super Moderator

That is why you never rely on a single review, or a single user report.

You look across reviews to look for consistencies. And then you look across user reports, try to wade through the bias and the unwarranted expectations, and try to find user reports and parts of reviews that pertain to the shooting that you do.

So in that vein everyone is different, everyone is looking for slightly different things and that will make a big impact.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 5:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
Have you looked at some of the photos on here? Seems like you can get some pretty nice results. I also don't think that the aforementioned review was a bad one. It seems the reviewer isn't completely happy with the picture quality. Compared to what? If I hadn't just bought a new camera I'd be impressed as it does a lot of what I'm looking for. Some of the reviewers complaints are the exact same ones I have with my s200EXR like the viewfinder and focus ring. But it's less than $500 with honker of a lens on it that he seemed to praise. I think people on here are taking an honest look at it for what it is. Just my 2 cents but maybe I'm or or

Bob S.
You're right, it's NOT a "bad review". All I'm saying is "FWIW". It is one review, by one person. I concur with what Dustin is saying. But, I still think the camera's results speaks volumes for it's IQ and performance.

BTW, I would not have seen the other quoted comment as I have that person on my ignore list. I wish there was a troll list on here. JimC?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote