Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 3, 2010, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Would you use a lens filter on the HS10?

Do you think it needs it? And if it does, what do you think about the Heliopan filters? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
vsanzbajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2010, 6:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsanzbajo View Post
Do you think it needs it? And if it does, what do you think about the Heliopan filters? Any other suggestions?
Thanks
I would use a CPL when shooting at reflective areas such as water or glass and *possibly* a graduated filter if the skies are coming out washed out. Not familiar with Heliopan filters. I use Hoya and Tiffen.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3

HS10 with and without the Circular polarizer from hoya:

The scene is a Cokin A-type graduated ND filter, and the Hoya +4 macrolens on my desk. They reflect my computerscreen; and the CPL takes care of it. It also takes the reflection on the wood away; I was in fact astonished to see the CPL could turn my Imac screen completely black

Notice the drop in shutterspeed between the two:

0.5s f/4.5 ISO100 26.9mm

1.3s f/4.5 ISO100 26.9mm
Attached Images

greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
HS10 with and without the Circular polarizer from hoya:

The scene is a Cokin A-type graduated ND filter, and the Hoya +4 macrolens on my desk. They reflect my computerscreen; and the CPL takes care of it. It also takes the reflection on the wood away; I was in fact astonished to see the CPL could turn my Imac screen completely black

Notice the drop in shutterspeed between the two:

0.5s f/4.5 ISO100 26.9mm

1.3s f/4.5 ISO100 26.9mm
Good demo, GB. I was going to try a variable ND until I saw the price of one Then, I came across this http://digital-photography-school.co...density-filter
My Gallery

--
Old May 4, 2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Thanks Gary

Another one: HS10 with and without the graduated ND filter; not the prettiest of pictures, but it shows what the filter does.

The benefit of a filter depends on what you're shooting.

-Graduated filters help to compensate for an overly bright side of a scene.
-CPL filters help getting rich, clear and warm saturated scenes, and work best in (partially) sunlit scenes. They can double as an ND filter, which allows the use of a slower shutter; Helps getting waterfalls blurred for example. (lol, i just wrote this stuff then I read your post with the waterfall example )

I'm not familiar with the heliopan filters either- I use Hoya and Cokin; but still have to get 58mm versions for the HS10

Happy Shooting! GB
Attached Images

Old May 4, 2010, 1:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Good demo, GB. I was going to try a variable ND until I saw the price of one
That's easy - buy two polarizing filters - each $ 5 (Hongkong, with shipping) and you have a variable ND filter.
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 2:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
That's easy - buy two polarizing filters - each $ 5 (Hongkong, with shipping) and you have a variable ND filter.
uh... did you read the rest of the post?
My Gallery

--
Old May 4, 2010, 3:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
uh... Did you read the rest of the post?

I tried it. I have two CPLs, and was able to cut the shutter from 1/350 to 1/30. But Couldn't reach the pitch dark thing the guy in the article is talking about; and defenitely no 30 sec exposure. Not on a partially cloudy late noon anyway. but then again, I didn't put a linear on top of a circular; But I doubt if using two circulars makes that much of a difference. Does anyone know if it really requires a linear polarizer on top?
-
Just tried again, setting the cam up again for a 'naked' manual exposure of 1/40, and two CPLs cut the shutter to 1/3; could hit 1/5 with just one. Only shrinking the aperture from F5 to F11 could give me a shutter of 2 to 3 seconds.

So, thus far it sure proves a functional controllable nd filter; but not yet enough to take a multi second exposure in broad daylight on a square. (another way to eliminate moving object in the frame )

Happy shooting! GB
Old May 4, 2010, 3:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post

I tried it. I have two CPLs, and was able to cut the shutter from 1/350 to 1/30. But Couldn't reach the pitch dark thing the guy in the article is talking about; and defenitely no 30 sec exposure. Not on a partially cloudy late noon anyway. but then again, I didn't put a linear on top of a circular; But I doubt if using two circulars makes that much of a difference. Does anyone know if it really requires a linear polarizer on top?
-
Just tried again, setting the cam up again for a 'naked' manual exposure of 1/40, and two CPLs cut the shutter to 1/3; could hit 1/5 with just one. Only shrinking the aperture from F5 to F11 could give me a shutter of 2 to 3 seconds.

So, thus far it sure proves a functional controllable nd filter; but not yet enough to take a multi second exposure in broad daylight on a square. (another way to eliminate moving object in the frame )

Happy shooting! GB
That's about the results I got. I do, however, have a linear PL coming. Can't hurt for $6 and SURE beats $250-300!!
My Gallery

--
Old May 4, 2010, 4:28 PM   #10

wow, 250 - 300$ is a lot for a fader.. Over here (the Netherlands) the internet shops sell a Light Craft Fader ND Filter nd2 - nd400 size 58mm for 60.-