Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 4, 2010, 7:13 PM   #1

Default I now have a HS10

This is not my first camera by a longshot. It is my first Fuji or any kind. I just got it and read about the external flash which made absolutely no sense as to why Fuji is not making one dedicated to this digicam.

I shoot mostly dSLR (Nikon). I wanted a bridge camera much like the ones I have with the Panasonic FZ1v2, FZ10 and FZ20. I actually paid more for each of those cameras than I did for this one.

Going back to flash I am a strobist fan due to Nikons CLS and I found myself not warming up to the cost of the SB900 since the SB800's were discontinued. My search for a good alternative has been found with the Nissin Di866. I put it in manual mode and only had to go with 1/16 power to light up my computer/photo/gaming room. Works quite well, so no need to go out and get even more gear.

Hopefully, when time permits I can get out and about and shoot and share some of what I can capture with this camera.

I have in the past posted quite a bit in the Panasonic and Pentax dSLR forums.

greenbaron and sarah joyce thanks for posting and sharing what you have found in this particular camera. I have followed and shared along with both of you for quite some time and I hope to start back again with this camera.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2010, 7:19 PM   #2

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it, Tom. Looking forward to some great images from the islands!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010, 11:06 PM   #3

LOL... welcome vIZinquest.... I can't help but find it amusing how many Pentaxians are embracing the new Fujifilm camera.... and I, of course, include myself in that number.

I am really beginning to suspect that the real market for the HS10 lies in the DSLR shooters who realize that there are times you can't shoot a DSLR or don't want the hassle...and the HS10 is the closest thing to a DSLR they can find

I know I love mine as a complement to my DSLR's.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 12:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
LOL... welcome vIZinquest.... I can't help but find it amusing how many Pentaxians are embracing the new Fujifilm camera.... and I, of course, include myself in that number.

I am really beginning to suspect that the real market for the HS10 lies in the DSLR shooters who realize that there are times you can't shoot a DSLR or don't want the hassle...and the HS10 is the closest thing to a DSLR they can find

Paul
damn! you nailed it.

Imagine using a nikon d3s just to shoot pictures of the family. This is what my older brother does. Bit overkill isn't it?
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:09 PM   #5

Default External Flash for HS10

" ... Going back to flash ... SB900 discontinued ... Nissin Di866.

I want to buy an external flash for my new HS10.

I called twice Fujifilm. Fujifilm CS tells me the SB800 and SB600 will work with the HS10. One rep said the SB800 will work with HS10 in TTL mode. Should I believe him ?

I would consider buying from Metz or Nikon. In the past Nikon Speeelights could be used with some Fujifilm cameras. Also Metz makes flashes with SCA adapters for various camera makers.
emiramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 2:53 PM   #6

Quote:

Paul
I totally agree with your observation about the DSLR owners. I have a small P&S for quick shots and messing around photos and my Canon EOS for serious stuff. I am looking at this camera for the in between, especially for my multi-day backpacking trips.
Tangohkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 6:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiramar View Post
" ... Going back to flash ... SB900 discontinued ... Nissin Di866.

I want to buy an external flash for my new HS10.

I called twice Fujifilm. Fujifilm CS tells me the SB800 and SB600 will work with the HS10. One rep said the SB800 will work with HS10 in TTL mode. Should I believe him ?

I would consider buying from Metz or Nikon. In the past Nikon Speeelights could be used with some Fujifilm cameras. Also Metz makes flashes with SCA adapters for various camera makers.
I don't think the SB900 is discontinued. The SB800 is. The SB600 are still around but the Nissin Di866 can act as a commander and slave which the SB600 cannot. I did not try it in TTL. I used manual like I do with my Panny FZ10, FZ20 with my Digislave 3000. It is a good flash but it does not swivel. I decided to use my Nissin due to the fact that the dSLR for Fuji uses Nikon lenses and flash.

The Nissin isn't cheap but much less than the SB900.

I may try it in TTL to confirm or deny what was said to you by a rep. I doubt it though.

Paul,

Good to see you again. It does not surprise me that dSLR users are looking at this camera and in fact buying them straight out. It is nice that it has manual zoom and the HD movie mode is a nice add-on but it wasn't a make or break part of my decision. I'd much rather use a video camera if I were ever interested in using one.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 8:48 PM   #8

Quote:

Paul
That is about it in a nutshell, although that shouldn't scare off any P&S users who want to upgrade themselves..
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:03 PM   #9

Quote:

Paul
Amen!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 9:49 PM   #10

Thank you vIZnquest !

I know that ***certain*** Fujifilm cameras can use external Nikon Speedlight or Metz-SCA-Nikon flashes, however, regarding the HS10, based on what the manual says, and how the hot-shoe looks like (simple, basic), I doubt any flash (Nikon, Metz, Vivitar, Sunpak, etc) will work in TTL mode !

The Fuji rep I spoke with today seemed to suggest that the Nikon SB800 will work with the HS10. In manual mode, I suspect, but not in TTL mode. The Fuji rep, who, IMO was not exactly friendly seemed to say: "SB800, TTL, yes !"

Now ... any flash fitted with a hot shoe will work ... in manual mode, but the HS10 is filled with features ... so, only manual mode is rather disappointing for such a camera.

I like the camera, and the only serious negatives I notices so far are:
Unfriendly Fujifilm Customer Service (didn't even helped me with registration, which fails online - no registration card provided in the box);
Apparently no TTL external flash;
No current Adobe Photoshop support for RAW ("RAF") files.

- Cheers, Emil
emiramar is offline   Reply With Quote