Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 5, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default HS10 Shot to Shot Delay and General Performance

Which is the typical shot to shot delay in the HS10?

How would you evaluate its general performance?

Which are cons and pros of this model?

Have you noticed any improvement with the firmware update?

What about its build quality and image quality?

I'm evaluating purchasing one, but I want to know more about it.

(I saw that sarah Joyce said that Lumix FZ35 replacement will fit a CMOS sensor...seems like Fuji guys have open a new area in the market!!!)

Thanks in advance!
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2010, 8:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post

(I saw that sarah Joyce said that Lumix FZ35 replacement will fit a CMOS sensor...seems like Fuji guys have open a new area in the market!!!)

Thanks in advance!
I am not sure what else it going to help you decide to buy a camera. I have read your other posts by the way. You are all over the map as to what kind of camera you are looking for.

There are numerous kudos made about it by experienced users of digital cameras of other makes and also dSLR users. There are examples posted to show how it performs.

I find it to be an incredible camera for the price. I have not done the firmware update and can only comment on what I have seen and done with it for a day and a half. Most of my shots are bland and uninteresting as I am doing my own evaluation of what the camera does best and what its limits are. So far, I find that buying it and using it is far better than sitting and waiting and asking question after question after question. The manual is available for download. I started there. I read this forum. Sarah and Greenbaron are two I admire and respect in what they have observed and shared. It was enough for me to go out and get one.

Oh shutter lag is what I expect from a point and shoot camera. I don't find it to be a problem since I done think in measurbator terms or get caught up in minutia about this or that being the deal maker or breaker.

Full on HD movie was not good in my opinion. Jumpy and jerky and it wasn't due my hand being unsteady. I really don't care about that feature to be honest.

I only had it a day and a half and there is a learning curve as with any camera.

I don't have the extensive use and knowledge of cameras like Sarah but I have used and owned quite a few. Panasonic FZ1v2, FZ10, FZ20, ZS1, LC40s, Minolta Z10, Canon G11, Casio EX-V8, Nikon D200 (2), D40, D5000 and D90, Pentax DS, K100D. I like them all. Instead of deciding I go here look at posts. There is quite a bit of information to look over to get one to decide to get one and start enjoying the hobby rather than wait for the next thing since the current model doesn't whatever stops you from buying one.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 8:14 AM   #3

Thanks for your words.

Answering your question, I seeking for further info from direct users!

As mentioned in other posts, I'm from the city of Bahía Blanca in Argentina, and it is very difficult to get a wide selection of cameras to handle and test before buying. So the best I can do it search the Web, and ask users for advice.

Big hug,
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 9:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post

2 to 3 seconds (more if buffer gets filled with high speed shooting mode such as 7 shot per second mode)

Its a very very very good camera and I use it as a work camera and it gives me what I need

Its a very good camera however when doing sports you will notice a slight shutter delay so it makes it a little hard to get the peek of the accident without practice and pushing the button a little earlier

YES it fixed many issues.......

Build is good and solid easy to hold; image quality for me is good and constant.... 10mp for me is plently. I have images that go into a local newspaper and the resolution is enough for them to do covers etc

the image sensor in this camera rocks! its good in lowe light once you lean the proper settings to use and at 30x the image stabilization works very very well.

Thanks in advance!
dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 10:38 AM   #5

I just bought mine and have played a little with it - I have to surrender it on Saturday to my wife who is leaving for Italy. Luckily I will be joining her in 2 months and I can get some time on the camera in one of the most beautiful countries out there. I am stepping up from a compact which is a BIG step to this but didn't want to lug all the DSLR lenses across Italy! I am sure this will do well and cant wait to get stuck in to it. I am planning on downloading my GPS logs to Geotag the photos also once I get myself set up over there.

BTW - I found out tonight that a Nintendo DS screen protector almost perfectly fits the LCD screen on the HS-10

I have some sense of aperture and depth of field as my old man was a wedding photographer but he has passed away and I didn't learn the craft before he did. Only 36 so there is plenty of years to go (I hope!).

Thanks to all that have posted and helped me decide on this camera. Features are awesome for the price and this camera is so much easier to hold with my large hands than that tiny SP800uz from Olympus - I like there stuff but the camera did not feel right at all when I held it. Of course my wife tells me that she would have liked something smaller!!! Can't win....

Best wishes and keep posting your thoughts - regards from OZ. BTW picked mine up for 570 at HN and special is on this weekend from what I hear for 528 AUD
Old May 6, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyt19 View Post
I just bought mine and have played a little with it - I have to surrender it on Saturday to my wife who is leaving for Italy. Luckily I will be joining her in 2 months and I can get some time on the camera in one of the most beautiful countries out there. I am stepping up from a compact which is a BIG step to this but didn't want to lug all the DSLR lenses across Italy! I am sure this will do well and cant wait to get stuck in to it. I am planning on downloading my GPS logs to Geotag the photos also once I get myself set up over there.

BTW - I found out tonight that a Nintendo DS screen protector almost perfectly fits the LCD screen on the HS-10

I have some sense of aperture and depth of field as my old man was a wedding photographer but he has passed away and I didn't learn the craft before he did. Only 36 so there is plenty of years to go (I hope!).

Thanks to all that have posted and helped me decide on this camera. Features are awesome for the price and this camera is so much easier to hold with my large hands than that tiny SP800uz from Olympus - I like there stuff but the camera did not feel right at all when I held it. Of course my wife tells me that she would have liked something smaller!!! Can't win....

Best wishes and keep posting your thoughts - regards from OZ. BTW picked mine up for 570 at HN and special is on this weekend from what I hear for 528 AUD

Congratulations, Benny. Looking forward to some great shots from the road trip!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 4:52 AM   #7

Default HS-10 vs FZ35 vs SX1-IS (I will buy one for my B'Day)

These are the cameras I'm considering upgrading to, from a Canon S5-IS. Creve Coeur Camera in our area is hosting reps from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic and Pentex. I was assured that I could make a side by side comparison and hook them to a PC. I am leaning toward the HS-10 but a friend said the manual lens makes movies difficult to take. Does anyone have thoughts about a servo for this 30X?
Marsh16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 7:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh16 View Post
These are the cameras I'm considering upgrading to, from a Canon S5-IS. Creve Coeur Camera in our area is hosting reps from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panasonic and Pentex. I was assured that I could make a side by side comparison and hook them to a PC. I am leaning toward the HS-10 but a friend said the manual lens makes movies difficult to take. Does anyone have thoughts about a servo for this 30X?
I don't want to come across and nasty so please, don't take me that way. But, this topic has been beaten to death. Want a servo? Olympus SP570UZ. Good camera but the manual zoom is MUCH better and more precise for STILL photos (which is what this camera is). Want videos? Buy a video camera. Want a good, all-around, take-with-you camera? HS-10.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 7:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh16 View Post
Personally I prefer manual zoom during video shots since I get more precise composition and no "overshoot" as I seem to have with power zooms. As well, power zooms leave their audio trail while zooming especially in scenes with very low ambient sound level. I'm curious as to why your friend feels manual zoom makes movies more difficult to take. Can you ask them for their reasoning on that?
Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010, 8:04 PM   #10

I am a direct user. Have you decided on a camera yet?
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote