Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 8, 2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Default Exif info on this site

Why can't I see the EXIF info on pictures posted on this site, whereas I can see it on other sites?

Gary
lakensea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2010, 11:29 AM   #2

you can upload a picture WITH or WITHOUT EXIF

WITHOUT EXIF

WITH EXIF

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3

I do not see any page (in English) like that when uploading photo's to the gallery on this forum. In looking back, I can see the EXIF info on certain poster's photo's, but not all, and none of mine.
Old May 8, 2010, 3:30 PM   #4
Administrator

You're probably exceeding the maximum sizes allowed here (either file size or dimensions in pixels).

When you do that, the forums software will automatically downsize your images and recompress them using very high JPEG compression (which will make them softer), and it will also strip out all EXIF info.

See my comments in this post:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...ml#post1026659

So, you'll want to make sure that whatever software you're using to downsize them is keeping them within the dimensions limits (resolution allowed in pixels for width and height), as well as file size limits. They'll need to be no larger than 260,000 bytes (approx. 253.9KB) if you don't want the forums software recompressing them, and no larger than 1024 pixels on their longest side for dimensions for forum posts (and no larger than 1024x768 for album images).

Usually, a quality setting of around 80% (depending the scale your software uses for JPEG compression) will keep an image with a resolution of 1024x768 or smaller within file size limits)

IOW, make sure you set your JPEG compression/quality level in the software you're using to downsize them to keep them within the file size limits set for uploads to prevent the forums from recompressing them and stripping out EXIF info; and make sure they are within the limits allowed for dimensions, too (and you'll see those limits whenever you upload images here, as shown in the post I linked to about it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2010, 7:51 AM   #5

Thanks Jim,

I was resizing to the 1024 x 768 limit, but did not check the file size.

Let's see how this works......
Attached Images

Old May 9, 2010, 8:12 AM   #6
Administrator

Yes. That worked. It's 226.37KB (231,801 bytes) in size, which comes in under our file size limits of 253.9KB (260,000 bytes). So, the forums software did not try to downsize or recompress it, and left the EXIF intact. If you don't want your photos modified (and they will also look softer if they're recompressed), make sure to stay within the limits for file size and dimensions.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote