Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 5, 2003, 10:55 AM   #1

Default S7000 owners, What do you think

I have been reading a lot about this camera lately, and from the looks of things most of, if not all the owners of the S7000 are happy with it esp in terms of the picture that can be taken. What I want to know now is how did you all find using the camera. In terms of the controls, the features and what did you find "cool" about it.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2003, 8:43 AM   #2

over 300 views and no response.....................
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 10:00 AM   #3

well, here is one

Got my camera (S7000 obviously ) about two months ago after been using A70 for about 4 months. Took close to 3,000 of pics already - my subjects include fountain, night scene, macro, scenery (landscape), my daughter's pics and lots other stuff.

In general, i have no manor complain about the camera. Except for a few minor complaint, they dont matter. i can live with its shortcomings.

personally, things that i liked about the camera are:
- the design- nicely fit my palm - able to put additional TCON and WCON and plus all other filters
-uses CFs cards
-AA batteries
- manual zoom ring
-fast access to ISO, MP settings, pics mode (b&w, chrome or normal)
-live histogram!
-hot shoe
- first 5, last 5 continous shots
- 2 custom white balance
-15s until 1/10,000s for shutter speed!
- can fit in OLY WCON and TCON!
-whole lot other things

things that i dont like:
-wish the manual zoom ring is mechanical and not fly by wire
-the manual focusing takes time to find the sharpest spot
- RAW at 6MP please!
-auto rotation for portrait shots

i can live with all the things that i dont like

feel free to comments on my S7000 gallery

Thanks and regards

faizal
faizal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 7:08 PM   #4

I have had my S7000 for about two weeks now, and I absolutely love it. There are so many features, that to get this most from this camera it's going to take a little effort. The learning curve is not steep, but you will get more bang for the buck if you learn how to use the manual mode to it's fullest. The auto mode takes great pictures, but learn the manual settings to get the most for your money.

I read several professional reviews when I bought this camera that mentioned noise in the pictures, but when I read the user reviews, they said: what noise? I have to agree with the users. The snapshots are clean, and extremely detailed. I think to some degree, those reviewers are trying to look at 6 or 12 megapixel pictures on their monitor screens. A monitor cannot properly reproduce a picture at that resolution without compressing it down to fit on the screen. However, if you print high resolution picture, then you will quickly see the benefits of have the higher megapixels. For viewing on the computer only, a person is better off taking lower megapixel pictures, and this camera will let you choose between 1,2, 3, 6, and 12. Also, if you want the cleanest picture, then use the camera's raw mode.

While the manual focus is not as fast as an SLR with a mechanical ring, it never the less works, and works well. The EVM view finder lets you frame your shots perfectly, and change settings from inside the view finder. This is a BIG deal when you are in bright sunlight, and the LCD is hard to see. That's not to say the LCD in this camera is normally hard to see, because it is as clear as any I have seen yet. But under bright sunlight, they all can be hard to view. The EVM wins out big in my book.

There are many buttons located around the case of this camera. At first they can be daunting, but after you learn them, you will love not having to go through layers of menus to get to important settings. After about a week, I got to know where all the buttons are, and can work them without even lowering the camera from my face.

While there are those that will scuff at the fact the camera has a movie mode, let them. The movie mode is excellent! The picture is near camcorder quality, and the audio is very good. While I was shooting pictures in one of our state parks here in Nebraska just a few days after buying the camera, a red fox stopped in the path about 20 feet in front of me. I switched to movie mode and filmed it slowly walking on out into a field. It turned around and looked at me several times. After getting home and viewing the movie on my computer, I was thrilled that the camera had a movie mode, and would not want to be without it.

I still have a Canon G5, but it can't compare to the Fuji S7000 in my opinion. The G5 now belongs to my wife, and I can highly recommend this camera without any problem.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:38 PM   #5

I am getting mine tomorrow will post mine as soon as I can.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zace27
I am getting mine tomorrow will post mine as soon as I can.
well zace27, good luck and all the best!

what make you choose S7000? Is it because of our influence? he he he ?

faizal

PS: cant wait to see your gallery
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:49 PM   #7

I had a 4800Zoom and I decides that I needed an upgrade. I was gonna go with the s602 but a week before I was gonna order it I heard about the S7000. So I waited and waited. Then I read about the noise problem . Then everybody who was bold enough to still buy one said they did not have much of a problem with the noise. So I then asked how does it feel. (Well I had pretty much made up my mind from before that but I thought it would have been an intresting post any way). So I dream constantly about it. Cant wait :lol:
Old Dec 30, 2003, 2:30 PM   #8

I bought the s7000 as an Xmas present to myself. I've had it only a few days, but my early impressions are very good. Yes, I can see pixel noise when I zoom in on images on a monitor, but at normal viewing resolutions, it's not an issue. I haven't tried printing yet. Overall I'm impressed with the picture quality, it's a big step up from my first camera, a Canon S20. A huge selling point on this camera for me was its use of AA batteries -- I am sick to death of expensive proprietary batteries that fail after six months, and carrying six different battery chargers around when I go on a trip. I already had a AA charger for an MP3 player, so I didn't have to buy anything new.

Other things I like are the zoom, the overall quality feel of the camera, the excellent LCD display (including EVF), availability of add-on lenses (I just ordered the wide-angle conversion kit along with a couple of 55mm filters), and the powerful flash.

A few things I don't like are the need to manually pop up the flash -- I've already missed a couple of shots forgetting to do that, and all the various methods for accessing setup & customization functions (SETUP mode, menu buttons, FinePix buttons, etc. all access various menus) -- it seems to me they could have done a little better job consolidating some of this. But then again, it's only been 4 days, I haven't yet figured out which functions are the ones I'll need every day vs. those I'll only need once or twice.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2003, 7:30 PM   #9

Glad you enjoy the camera. I loved mine termendously!

Rgds
Old Dec 31, 2003, 12:05 AM   #10

Default Excellent camera for the money!!

If you like the S7000....wait till the middle of 2004 and see how the S7000 will change. Most camera companies take 3 to 5 years just to get a camera into production. Lets say... the S7000 is really 3 to 5 years old. Why? costs of design, making molds, and making parts take years...and FUJI depends on very few other vendors to make critical parts. The S3 Pro SLR is also to be previewed soon! The US market is still very backordered in delivering orders to vendors...just because of the demand for the S7000...enyoy a great product!!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote