Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 18, 2010, 4:49 PM   #11

Perhaps that is a trend that is going to spread widely among camera manufacturers...My father bougth a ZS7 (or TZ10) 2 weeks ago, and the original Panasonic Box didn't include a printed manual, only a quicj reference guide a the CD with soft a manuals (in pdf)
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 5:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
Perhaps that is a trend that is going to spread widely among camera manufacturers...My father bougth a ZS7 (or TZ10) 2 weeks ago, and the original Panasonic Box didn't include a printed manual, only a quicj reference guide a the CD with soft a manuals (in pdf)

This has been the case with software programs for a few years now. Manuals are still provided with dslrs, but they are often poorly written, which has created a market for third party manuals. There are such books available for most popular software programs, and for dslrs, but I don't think I have seen one for a p&s camera - either they are supposed to be simple to operate (and don't need a manual) or they have too short a market life to justify one. People much prefer to pick up a book (or take one with them) for a quick answer when they have a question, rather than interrupt their shoot, run to a computer, turn it on, wait for it to boot up and load the browser, download a manual and then try to find something in it. Even worse if they try to find and download one with their ipod. They will return the camera first, if it is one that engenders many questions. The bean counters in the company front offices understand their bottom lines better than understanding how a knowledge (or lack thereof) of human nature can make or break their sales.

Last edited by penolta; May 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 5:25 PM   #13

it's a pitty...many people is telling that HS10 is not a very easy camera to control if you have no photo experience, and that is my case, so I'm wondering that I will have to print one if I finally purchase the HS10
eugeniogurrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 6:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniogurrea View Post
it's a pitty...many people is telling that HS10 is not a very easy camera to control if you have no photo experience, and that is my case, so I'm wondering that I will have to print one if I finally purchase the HS10

It is an Adobe Reader file - you don't have to print out all 133 pages. You can print 2 pages to a sheet and only those sections you might need at hand for reference. I only printed the last two of the eleven sections (Troubleshooting and the Appendix, which has the detailed specifications). If you print both sides, it will take 34 sheets to do the whole thing.
Old May 18, 2010, 8:12 PM   #15

A trend started many years ago in software documentation has a wonderfully stuctured looking organization and format along with good subject indexing. But ... once you start to read you find it's a hollow shell. There's no narrative and the understanding imparted by such doumentation is often very minimal. Good technical documention is rare. The pocket sized manuals previously offered by Fujifilm were pocket sized in content as well. Now they're just big and vacuous. Compact and vacuous is preferable. At least you can carry that.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 8:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
A number of suppliers have cut prices - even Adorama has dropped its price a little - I do suspect a high percentage of returns based on the reactions of some new users in this forum - I think it is too much of a camera for the more inexperienced photographers who scare easily and who were sucked in by all the early hype. Fuji should have provided a hard copy of the complete manual in the box - IMO that was their biggest mistake. They certainly should have sent one to the reviewers along with their evaluation samples. Penny wise, pound foolish.
No Fuji's biggest mistake is not designing and including a lens hood that work with this camera.......

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:00 PM   #17

Geeeez! This is a great camera and you guys are trifling over a lens hood and documentation as if it were some sort of MAJOR thing like the lens barrel popping out if you go past a certain range. Ya spend that kind money on a great camera and you let goofy piddling things like that take the joy out it? C'mon! Get out and have some fun with a great camera!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 9:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Geeeez! This is a great camera and you guys are trifling over a lens hood and documentation as if it were some sort of MAJOR thing like the lens barrel popping out if you go past a certain range. Ya spend that kind money on a great camera and you let goofy piddling things like that take the joy out it? C'mon! Get out and have some fun with a great camera!
I know how good the camera is, but they are obviously not piddling things to those who have returned their cameras because of them. Or to the reviewers who give the camera a bad name because they didn't make the effort or take the time to figure things out for themselves.

As I said, you can print out all or part of the manual if you need to. And you can buy a self storing bayonet lens hood from Fuji that fits perfectly and will work most effectively at the wide end where it is most needed, if you don't want to mess with the bulky collapsible rubber ones. It is the one for the S9100 and S6000fd, and sells for $13.64 plus tax and shipping. Part No. FFZ06321-100.

Last edited by penolta; May 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 6:29 AM   #19

Then, it's a crappy reviewer and review that focuses on THAT instead of what he/she is supposed to be reviewing -- THE CAMERA. If that's the case then the reviewer should entitle his review, "The Lack of Accessories". And, if folks follow that pape, then they probably should shoot a little compact P&S. Returning a great camera for lack of a printed manual or a lens hood is cutting off your nose despite your face! Dwell on these minor things long enough and they become mountains you won't get past.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:23 AM   #20

The bottom line is that the price does not drop this quickly on a newly introduced camera if it is being well received. For WHATEVER reason, many people seem to be returning the HS10. I'm beginning to think that maybe a bad batch of cameras got out the door.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote