Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 19, 2010, 8:31 AM   #21

I don't think anyone has returned a camera because it didn't have a printed manual or that the manual was just awful.

But this camera is clearly aimed at people who want a swiss army knife of a camera and not just experienced photographers. Oh look honey it's a camcorder and it can take all these amazing pictures just look at the samples! We should get one.

They also probably aren't ready for something with quite so many features. It's complex to a lot of folks. Maybe Fujifilm missed some opportunities by not having more help for what is a complex product? Probably some people just selected over their heads or don't want to commit to learning something quite this involved. Though they do provide an awful lot of automatic modes.

My gripe with Fujifilm is that they don't supply a printed manual you can carry. It's a gripe but not a major decision point.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 8:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I don't think anyone has returned a camera because it didn't have a printed manual or that the manual was just awful.

But this camera is clearly aimed at people who want a swiss army knife of a camera and not just experienced photographers. Oh look honey it's a camcorder and it can take all these amazing pictures just look at the samples! We should get one.

They also probably aren't ready for something with quite so many features. It's complex to a lot of folks. Maybe Fujifilm missed some opportunities by not having more help for what is a complex product? Probably some people just selected over their heads or don't want to commit to learning something quite this involved. Though they do provide an awful lot of automatic modes.

My gripe with Fujifilm is that they don't supply a printed manual you can carry. It's a gripe but not a major decision point.
Thing is, they are not the only ones, Bob. Panny's doing it as are a couple of others.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 10:17 AM   #23

Still doesn't make it a good idea. My previous Fujifilm camera came with a nice little manual as did my Sanyo HD1010 which I bought only a year ago.
I guess it saves them what, $5 maybe less per camera? You can't even order one.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
The bottom line is that the price does not drop this quickly on a newly introduced camera if it is being well received. For WHATEVER reason, many people seem to be returning the HS10. I'm beginning to think that maybe a bad batch of cameras got out the door.
I've seen this price drop quite frequently. Almost a given. And, not just on cameras. And, if a bad batch DID get out the door? Warranty. When I and a few others thought there was an issue with battery life, B&H was quite ready to accept it and replace or refund. Not a big deal. A lot of the "returns" you hear about is because the buyer realizes it's not a P&S and he got in over his head. Not because of camera quality, no manual, or lens hood but because of the buyer being unaware of what he/she was getting and being inexperienced to handle the camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 2:30 PM   #25

< A lot of the "returns" you hear about is because the buyer realizes it's not a P&S and he got in over his head.>

IMO, that's not a logical conclusion. If that was the case, the recent iterations of Panasonic's superzooms (for example) would have experienced high return rates. The HS10 is no more complicated than the Pany FZ50, and it was widely accepted. It didn't see a substantial drop from its MSRP for almost six months either.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 12:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Then, it's a crappy reviewer and review that focuses on THAT instead of what he/she is supposed to be reviewing -- THE CAMERA. If that's the case then the reviewer should entitle his review, "The Lack of Accessories". And, if folks follow that pape, then they probably should shoot a little compact P&S. Returning a great camera for lack of a printed manual or a lens hood is cutting off your nose despite your face! Dwell on these minor things long enough and they become mountains you won't get past.

Well said ! and what many people forget when they hold this very lightweight camera , that it zoom range is long , very long so try to hold something so light and so short still, is NOT easy and IS is not a miracle maker !! remember !
Old May 24, 2010, 12:23 PM   #27

Stabilizer works 1a - up till 720mm with photos, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to stabilize VIDEO with 500-720mm (don't trink & make videos!)

Why somebody invented TRIPODS ? ? ? They are NOT for the cat!

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...tabi-hs10.html
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:01 AM   #28

I've ordered the HS10 yesterday for €354,- ($425,-). I only have to wait FIVE weeks before it gets back in store...
Arjan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:49 AM   #29

5 weeks ? ... hmmm, then price is fallen to € 299.99 :-)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:56 AM   #30

Yeah, but I've lowest price guarantee so I can always get it for the lowest price =)
Arjan- is offline   Reply With Quote