Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan- View Post
I've ordered the HS10 yesterday for 354,- ($425,-). I only have to wait FIVE weeks before it gets back in store...
I'm in the opposite basket, I have one that my wife has taken to Italy - I already have it but have to wait 5 more weeks to use it! BTW the Euro price works out roughly to what I paid 7 wks ago in Oz as Euro is about 70c to the AUD. I paid $530 but got a free UV filter thrown in plus a discount from the $570 I was quoted because the guy told me it came with a lens hood.

So we both have paid for something we can't use for 5 wks! LOL

As for the manual I download and selected the pages I thought were necessary and as they are so small when you print them as the booklet size is smaller than A4, I printed 2 to a page and also printed duplex - got what I needed on to 10 A4 pages! That is fairly thin and can just fold up into a pocket in the backpack for ref if required. I just took out the majority of easy stuff, like how to turn the camera on and just left the AE lock guides, spot focus etc (as I am fairly new to manual controls) and the troubleshooting guide and all the setup menu explanations and things like custom settings. I figured that was all I needed.

I do agree though that one should be in the box.

I also saw the following pics on flikr from the HS-10 that I hadn't seen elsewhere...just for some different content
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_harmon/
Old Jun 12, 2010, 6:45 PM   #32

Default It's not just cameras of course.

The lack of printed manuals is endemic throughout the electronics industry. I installed Windows 7 and the "manual" in the box is literally just a pamphlet (for an entire operating system!!). My significant other and I went together on the purchase of a 42" LCD LG television set - love the set, but the "owner's manual" in the box comprised 27 pages out of the 172 in the PDF - just the parts about connecting cables, nothing about the TV's features. I spent $20 at Kinko's to get the full manual printed double-sided and spiral-bound. $800 for a TV -and an additional $20 to print the frickin' manual. The microwave came with a more-detailed manual (a machine that cost $120) than the TV did. So while it is indeed upsetting that the Fuji didn't come with a manual ....

Hey. You've got a digital camera, that MUST mean you've got a computer. If you've got a computer, you more than likely have got Internet access. Download the dang manual, print it whichever way you want - and let's go take some pictures
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:17 AM   #33

Down to $439 at bhphotovideo.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniM View Post
The lack of printed manuals is endemic throughout the electronics industry.
but not in cameras intended for serious photographers. DSLRs still come with printed manuals. Panasonic's Lumix FZ18 and 28 (and presumably the FZ35, the HS 10's most highly rated competitor), which are equally complex, do - which may be part of the reason for their success and higher ratings. Some manuals for electronic gadgets are (or used to be, as today's are better) poorly written - either too simplistic or so filled with technobabble as to be incomprehensible to the lay reader (which is why most VCR owners never learned to program their machines and can use only the record and play buttons), and large on-disk manuals are too inconvenient to use. This has led to the preparation of large numbers of hot selling third party manuals for DSLRs, computer operating systems and popular software programs. I don't know of any for P&S cameras - there may be too many of them, the models may have too short a market life, or the buyers may not be thought of as being serious enough photographers to warrant the effort - price-motivated penny-pinching aside, certainly they don't consider them too illiterate to read a manual - or do they?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:49 PM   #35

Price down another $10 at B&H. Now $429.99.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:55 AM   #36

Price down to $389 buy it now with free shipping on ebay. That includes 4GB card, camera case, and 3 pc lens cleaning kit. Mint used one going for $350 buy it now with free shipping, 2GB card and camera case.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
Price down to $389 buy it now with free shipping on ebay. That includes 4GB card, camera case, and 3 pc lens cleaning kit. Mint used one going for $350 buy it now with free shipping, 2GB card and camera case.
This is also current Amazon price...a much better option than eBay.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:33 PM   #38

Default finepix hs10 manual focus on video

hi to all,

i have some questions about the finepix hs10, but the most important is know if in video recording mode, can be used the manual focus or not.

can someone say me? thanks.
clonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2010, 6:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonick View Post
hi to all,

i have some questions about the finepix hs10, but the most important is know if in video recording mode, can be used the manual focus or not.

can someone say me? thanks.
Yes, but it's kinda jerky...
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:11 PM   #40

Down to 368.63 with free shipping on Amazon and B&H.