Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 12, 2010, 4:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
you can benefit from the 30x zoom and the backlight sensor. But it's nowhere near sharp as the s200exr.
Really? I haven't noticed that the S200EXR has a lot sharper IQ. I'm not trying to start an argument but maybe my eyes just aren't trained well enough yet. So please guys no wars.

I'll post some simple rose pictures later I took in very bright sunlight. No black velvet backrounds, misting or PP just some shots in various exposure modes. I did use a tripod though ... ;>) The auto "flower" mode was pretty good as was the "pro focus" mode. But so was manual. Biggest issues were the very bright sun and the wind. All were autofocus. There's no way I can focus this camera in bright sunlight. That viewfinder just isn't good enough. It's point and pray.

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; May 14, 2010 at 8:54 AM.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2010, 8:03 PM   #12

here
hs10
http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...image_quality/
s200exr
f70exr

My camera is good enough to wait for the next batch. so 15x zoom plus 2x digital is good enough for me. But you do get that extra perk from the 30x zoom. Makes my mouth water.

Last edited by Cresho; May 12, 2010 at 8:09 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 8:24 AM   #13

Default Sample rose shots in very bright light

Here are some In EXR mode, Flower Mode, Pro Focus Mode and Manual In that order. To me EXR is a total failure here but I think the Flower mode and the Pro Focus mode which softens the edges seem to work. So for those of us less experienced folks these two automatic modes work OK.

The manual exposure is dead last.
Attached Images

Last edited by staats; May 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 8:51 AM   #14

Default A couple more of a different rose

Flower Mode and Manual in that order.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2010, 10:42 AM   #15

your flower shots look good. the third and the 2st one. Your mannual shots have improvement over exr. You almost nailed the white one in manual mode. the redder looking rose is very good as well

Last edited by Cresho; May 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 1:59 PM   #16

Thanks for the kind words. The actual photos look quite a bit clearer with great details. With the two of the lighter rose I find it very hard to tell any difference betrwen the manual mode one and the "Flower Mode" one. I took half a dozen manual shots of the lighter rose and that's the best of those. But I only took two in flower mode and they both turned out great. So in this instance I have to say the automatic flower mode works pretty darn well.

Also interesting is that in the Pro Focus mode the exif data as displayed by Fujifilm's own software does NOT report back that you utilized "Pro Focus Mode".

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; May 15, 2010 at 5:30 AM.
Old May 14, 2010, 5:38 PM   #17

Here, i just shot this one. Everything in manual mode. I used tone hard and film velvia.
Attached Images

Old May 15, 2010, 5:40 AM   #18

The film velvia makes it look like a lot of the slides my dad used to take in the 1950s. Very bold!

There are so many choices to try with these cameras. For these shots I was able to take a series, pull the card and go look at them on my monitor. That's really helpful. But If I was at a remote location I never would have been able to adjust settings for the the subtle differences because you can't even begin to see this on that LCD or viewfinder.

Bob S.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:06 PM   #19

tell me about it. I recently started using velvia. I have a standard Shot I play with most of the time. I am starting to get the hang of manual mode and I mean getting the hang of it because sometimes I forget to adjust shutter or apatare and I end up with a bad picture. P for sure when I don't want to worry.
Old May 18, 2010, 6:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
here
hs10
s200exr
f70exr

My camera is good enough to wait for the next batch. so 15x zoom plus 2x digital is good enough for me. But you do get that extra perk from the 30x zoom. Makes my mouth water.
Yeah I saw these before and yes you can see some differences but I have to say that in some of the terrific HS10 shots I've seen on here I 'm just not noticing any issues. Now I don't have the trained eye that some of you have so maybe I'm just missing it? Over on that DPREVIEW? website I was looking at a thread about the S200EXR now being discontinued and they were extolling the virtues of the S200EXR over the HS10, lamenting it's demise and how the HS10 had so many IQ issues. Of course some even preferred the S100 over both?

So in the real world in what situations is the S200EXR going to produce superior pictures to the HS10? I mean other than a documentary on Polish currency ...

The wider angle and big zoom seem like a definite plus for the HS10 to me.

Bob S.