Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 11, 2010, 2:55 PM   #1

Default Switch to HS10 from S200EXR?

I've had a S200EXR for about 3 months now and I finally got a chance to do some flowers and take action shots at the race track so I have an idea of what it can do. Probably a lot more in better hands but I am looking at that long lens and the ability to take some high speed shots like all those bird-in-flight examples we've seen on here.

So does anyone have any idea how the IQ compares between these two cameras? It appears to me that the HS10 is as good but some of the samples posted here are so damn good I kind of doubrtt I'm going to get ones that good all that often.

I used the "last 6" mode on the S200EXR in sports mode to catch the following shots at the track. I could have used that 30X zoom and the S200EXR also doesn't have the wide angle capability like the HS10.

So if any of you would care to comment on my general questions and specifically about what features of the HS10 might allow for more interesting shots at the race track please comment.

When I was shooting at the track a pro had a Big Canon with a huge lens on it and he was able to click off 3 shots in 1-2 seconds repeatedly. That's very nice but I'm not expecting that from this camera. The S200EXR takes 4-6 seconds to save those last 6 in Jpeg format. On one car you can see how this camera did. Not that bad I think.

Thanks.
Attached Images

staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2010, 2:57 PM   #2

I'd start by cropping out some of that sky, Staats. That would force the viewer's eye down to the action on the track. You've pretty much got a handle on the features the HS-10 has and how to put them to use. It also has the Multi-exposure feature. That could have proved interesting.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 3:04 PM   #3

Gary there's no processing on these at all. I'm interested in the points I mentioned. Of all people I'd have thought you would of figured that out. You do so well on the bird action shots so can any of those features you utilized on the HS10 help me out here once I can actually zoom in closer.

As it was I kept getting told to back away from the guard rail. The guy with the honker lens had no such problems ... I think I need a bigger lens ...

Bob S.
Old May 11, 2010, 3:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
Gary there's no processing on these at all. I'm interested in the points I mentioned. Of all people I'd have thought you would of figured that out. You do so well on the bird action shots so can any of those features you utilized on the HS10 help me out here once I can actually zoom in closer.

As it was I kept getting told to back away from the guard rail. The guy with the honker lens had no such problems ... I think I need a bigger lens ...

Bob S.
I'm not familiar with the S200EXR, Bob. If it has lens threads, you can get a TCON-17 for it. That would give you 24.1x zoom (741mm) to work with.
My Gallery

--
Old May 11, 2010, 3:47 PM   #5

I've thought about that after seeing you moon shots and such but then you're carrying extra stuff and I still wouldn't have the wide angle capability. I'm mulling it over though ...
Old May 11, 2010, 4:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I've thought about that after seeing you moon shots and such but then you're carrying extra stuff and I still wouldn't have the wide angle capability. I'm mulling it over though ...
It's pretty simple thing to screw on when you want the extra reach. I've had it for a LOT of cameras now. Even worked on a S700 a while back!
My Gallery

--
Old May 11, 2010, 9:46 PM   #7

USE THE DIGITAL ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

the s200exr may be a 15x zoom but at 15x plus digital x2, is the equivalent of the hs10 30x plus they have no digital zoom.

image quality of both cameras, s200exr is good for the sharpness. The sensor is bigger than a hd10. I have used it before and they come out alright.

experiment on an object that is around 25 feet away, try the 15x zoom and then try 7.5x plus 2x digital zoom and see if you like. the digital zoom also works in top 6 with raw but not the 24.

Last edited by Cresho; May 11, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 10:04 PM   #8

Here....

the first one has no dzoom
the second one has dzoom. I just reduced the zoom lense and applied digital zoom

so you really have a camera that does 30 by cheating...lol you should play with it. the dzoom is easily activated by toggling up above the okay button. easy access. I use alot of it in macro pictures and they come out fine. Don't mind the quality, i just shot in the blind. The other guy is correct, even cropping the image will work.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; May 11, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 4:40 AM   #9

I don't have a problem with the size and composition of these pictures.
It's just about what I was looking for and the camera did fine. That's because I was very close to the track's guard rail and I subsequently got asked to move.

Sure it would be nice if it had taken 30 shots in the same anount of time and didn't obscure the viewfinder while it's writing them to the card. But it's a $450 camera.

What I was wondering about are the other features of the HS10 that allow for high speed shooting and multi exposure composition.

Ideas on how those might be applied to this situation?

Bob S.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:11 AM   #10

you can benefit from the 30x zoom and the backlight sensor. But it's nowhere near sharp as the s200exr. Just look at my moon shot vs the gloth's moonshot. Perfect example of what the zoom can do. On the other hand, buying a telephoto lense can increase x amount of zoom but picking one is the key for good pictures.

I doubt you will get any fast shots like what your asking for.

These cameras are not designed for high speed to begin with just because of one simple reason......when you shoot, it pauses the lcd screen and is not continuous for previewing. By the time you pan, you lost your subject. This is where the DSLR comes in handy or another brand camera.

Ask if the hs10 pauses during high speed shooting. if so, It wont be the high speed shooting that will help, it will be the freeze frame preview that will get you. I take tons of shots of toddlers running and I tell you it is very hard. But I do get lots of good pictures but its not centered sometimes.