Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 17, 2010, 3:36 PM   #1

Default HS10 how do you shoot.....do you even use SRauto?

Hello there,
When i watched the pictures i took with my old camera ( minolta dimageZ1 3mp and10xzoom) on a 42inch hd flatscreen tv i knew it was time for a new camera.
What should the camera be able to do? Well take good pictures ofcourse, a powerfull zoom, and the ability to take some wonderfull pictures indoors as well . Some progamm modes would be fine and electronic viewfinder had to be equiped.
The HS10 does all of that, and even more. A dslr was never an option……i do not like carying lenses around.

Photography to me was like taking family pics and some holyday pics untill i came here. I find myself gazing at your pictures ……….and there is only one conclusion …..I AM LIGHTYEARS BEHIND . The choice of buying a fuji HS10 was made in the blink of an eye. After almost waiting a for month i finally got my HS10.

Ive been playing around for a few days now and i wonder….do you even use the SRauto mode?
Or the sp1/sp2 mode and then go for portrait, night, sports and so on, or do you go for the more advanced settings like S A M C on the command dial?
Ive already started reading on photography and then i realised what would really help me a lot……the shots you take…..could you give some more info like what program mode you use, if you use a tripod, and if you use the, to me, more advanced settings like S A and M.

I know you all probably have years of practice and i do realize i will not be able to deliver the stuff you do inhere for quite a while......perfection takes practice, yet your info could give me a tremendous boost in the right direction.
So please forgive my ignorance when i take a look at the pictures you took and place a comment asking how you did it.

Please remember i am a noob taking his first steps…….so walk slowely.
M
Insomniac68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2010, 3:42 PM   #2

Just for starters, if the mode has "Auto" in it, most folks here don't (or rarely) use it.

A couple of great books for starters:

"The Digital Photography Book" - Vol 1 & 2 - by Scott Kelby. A crash course into photography.

"Understanding Exposure" - by Bryan Peterson. A little more tech but still easy to understand.

I've only been "seriously" shooting for a little over 3 years and I can only speak for me but, I use a tripod 40% of the time (100% for studio images). My "freehand" shots are almost ALWAYS braced/supported in someway unless otherwise noted. I shoot mainly in "Manual" but sometimes in "Aperture". I use the burst modes on occasion for bird images.

Congrats on your purchase! Looking forward to seeing some stunning images from it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 5:58 PM   #3

Mr. Gjtoth,

I was curious on what are the best settings for taking portrait pics on this camera? You have any good hints for me?

Thank you
conradcjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 8:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conradcjc View Post
Mr. Gjtoth,

I was curious on what are the best settings for taking portrait pics on this camera? You have any good hints for me?

Thank you
That is one area that falls outside of what I shoot. I'm TERRIBLE when it comes to people shots. If I get a good one it's pure luck. However, I would use Manual mode with an external flash (probably bounced) and definitely a tripod.

Sorry.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; May 17, 2010 at 8:37 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010, 10:01 PM   #5

Default Good choice, your HS10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac68 View Post
Hello there,
When i watched the pictures i took with my old camera ( minolta dimageZ1 3mp and10xzoom) on a 42inch hd flatscreen tv i knew it was time for a new camera.
What should the camera be able to do? Well take good pictures ofcourse, a powerfull zoom, and the ability to take some wonderfull pictures indoors as well . Some progamm modes would be fine and electronic viewfinder had to be equiped.
The HS10 does all of that, and even more. A dslr was never an option……i do not like carying lenses around.

Photography to me was like taking family pics and some holyday pics untill i came here. I find myself gazing at your pictures ……….and there is only one conclusion …..I AM LIGHTYEARS BEHIND . The choice of buying a fuji HS10 was made in the blink of an eye. After almost waiting a for month i finally got my HS10.

Ive been playing around for a few days now and i wonder….do you even use the SRauto mode?
Or the sp1/sp2 mode and then go for portrait, night, sports and so on, or do you go for the more advanced settings like S A M C on the command dial?
Ive already started reading on photography and then i realised what would really help me a lot……the shots you take…..could you give some more info like what program mode you use, if you use a tripod, and if you use the, to me, more advanced settings like S A and M.

I know you all probably have years of practice and i do realize i will not be able to deliver the stuff you do inhere for quite a while......perfection takes practice, yet your info could give me a tremendous boost in the right direction.
So please forgive my ignorance when i take a look at the pictures you took and place a comment asking how you did it.

Please remember i am a noob taking his first steps…….so walk slowely.
M
Yes, the HS10 can do all that you mentioned, and more. It's a really nice camera with a lot of bells and whistles. And it's a lot of fun to shoot. Just a quick note about DSLR's. Although the convenience of an all in one camera is a great option, there are times when a DSLR makes the better tool; not because the HS10 can't accomplish capturing the subject; but it can make capturing some subjects easier to accomplish:

Given the advancement in technology, I find nothing wrong with shooting in the HS10 auto modes as well in experimenting with the scene modes. The scene modes are a lot of fun to play with and can assist in creating some very nice captures. Once you become comfortable with the camera, then it's time to explore the more advanced modes (Aperture, Manual, Shutter).

Personally, I prefer the Manual and Aperture modes depending upon my subject. But to jump right into the water without a life jacket might be too aggressive and getting comfortable with the auto modes can assist in learning as well as making the photographer more comfortable with the camera.

As to the tripod, stabilization is key in achieving sharp photos. The in camera stabilization typically works well in the HS10 for hand-held shots with shutter speeds exceeding 1/50s IMHO. For slower shutter speeds, a tripod, monopod or another mode of stabilization should be used.

If there are any particular questions that you have going forward, please feel free to ask. I'll certainly assist when I can. I remember when I first got into photography many years ago; there is a lot to learn and I'm still learning.

Good luck as you continue forward on your photography journey.

Last edited by Hiawatha; May 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Hiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 5:55 AM   #6

Hi Insomniac68

Well, I think there's one basic rule; It's not the camera of photographer, but the skills (or luck ) of the photographer that makes a brilliant image.

There are 2 main area's that can be distinguished;

1 The understanding of the (technical) process of exposure (the process that eventually leads to a certain amount of light, hitting the sensor with a certain sensitivity, at a certain amount of time). Think of it as what happens inside the camera.

2 The understanding of composition. (Where do I place the subject in the frame; where's the light coming from, would the use of the flash be desirable? etc) Think of it as what happens in front of the camera.

At first it's all theory. ISO sensitivity? Noise? Focus? Depth of field? Diaphragm? Aperture? 35mm? Zoom? Shutterspeed? Sharpness? AAAAAAAHHHHH

Eventually it's all cause and effect; Read a lot, play with the cam, Read some more; accept the fact that it takes patience.

Couldn't tell where to start. But I know handling the amount of zoom that the HS10 features is a delicate job. The auto pilot isn't going to change the fact that the cam must be hold very steady at the maximum zoom.

Noted you're from the Netherlands like me; The AKO stores at the railroad stations usually have copies of the 'Digital Photographer' and /or 'Digital Camera' magazines. They're British, and so in English language; Rather expensive too- but I think it's one of best photography mags available. You might like trying one.

Happy Shooting! GB
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 10:32 AM   #7

Default Very well said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
Hi Insomniac68

Well, I think there's one basic rule; It's not the camera of photographer, but the skills (or luck ) of the photographer that makes a brilliant image.

There are 2 main area's that can be distinguished;

1 The understanding of the (technical) process of exposure (the process that eventually leads to a certain amount of light, hitting the sensor with a certain sensitivity, at a certain amount of time). Think of it as what happens inside the camera.

2 The understanding of composition. (Where do I place the subject in the frame; where's the light coming from, would the use of the flash be desirable? etc) Think of it as what happens in front of the camera.

At first it's all theory. ISO sensitivity? Noise? Focus? Depth of field? Diaphragm? Aperture? 35mm? Zoom? Shutterspeed? Sharpness? AAAAAAAHHHHH

Eventually it's all cause and effect; Read a lot, play with the cam, Read some more; accept the fact that it takes patience.

Couldn't tell where to start. But I know handling the amount of zoom that the HS10 features is a delicate job. The auto pilot isn't going to change the fact that the cam must be hold very steady at the maximum zoom.

Noted you're from the Netherlands like me; The AKO stores at the railroad stations usually have copies of the 'Digital Photographer' and /or 'Digital Camera' magazines. They're British, and so in English language; Rather expensive too- but I think it's one of best photography mags available. You might like trying one.

Happy Shooting! GB
Wonderful advice, very well stated too!
Hiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 2:20 PM   #8

To all of you , thanks a lot for the quick response.

A colleague of mine just gave me some dvds on photography........( starting at noob level lol). Theyre in dutch (zoom.nl) and quite helpfull.
Books are on the list as well.

the list: Got the HS10, the eneloops (8) ....next stop tripod/books.

Ill start with auto modes to get acquainted with the camera, and practice the other modes, which are explained on the dvd.....step by step...

ill check out the AKO tomorrow GB , i work at the station (prorail) so that shouldnt be to hard.

And it is like you stated : It's not the camera of photographer, but the skills (or luck ) of the photographer that makes a brilliant image.

Ill be busy for lil while lol.....but i will check out the forum and the pictures you all take on a daily basis.

Greetings M
Insomniac68 is offline   Reply With Quote