Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 21, 2010, 1:49 PM   #1

Default Fuji F700 problem

I have an F700 digital. All functions as far as menu is concerned work. The LCD lights up for menu and the graph and it shuts off. But, there is no screen view. The flash also does not work even if set to fill flash. If you use the viewfinder the functions seem to work, shutter activates and the screen lights up for an instant but no photo. All the controls work on the camera. Battery is in perfect shape . The screen shows the number of photographs that can be taken. If you use the viewfinder and take a picture, even though it is a blank it subtracts from the number. I am an old guy and any suggestions would be appreciated..Russ
VE6VK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2010, 8:12 PM   #2

I'm assuming you cant take a picture. format the internal and sd card with the built in format function of the camera first before anything. Then come back.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:50 PM   #3

Default F700 Problem

Thank you very much for your suggestion. When I first turn on the camera I get FINEPIX on screen for a moment, nice and clear. After some time i am able to get into the menu. I had no card inserted so went to format and said YES. The screen came up as Auto up in the left hand top of screen and then it said NO CARD. I inserted the 2gb card and formatted it.
It completed the format and the screen showed Auto 1m and 4000 odd
photos that could be taken, I changed that to 6m and 1360.
If I use the On Off switch and place it in the middle position I just get a message on the screen NO IMAGE.
You are absolutely right I cannot take a picture and the flash does not work even if in the forced flash position. I was wondering if you think it would be worthwhile taking it to a Fuji repair shop or is there something else I can do. It is a great little camera and I do have all the attachments such as battery chargers etc. Thank you for your time...Russ
Old May 22, 2010, 9:35 PM   #4

Before anything, Try another sd card and format that. I am a little confused as to why it would not let you format the internal memory.

Do a search on fujifilm f700 hard reset.
here do a search on this pdf
http://www.fuji.fi/documents/12/700_manual.pdf
look at page 70 and reset camera.

then do a search for dpof and do a reset

then pull out sd card and try formating the internal memrory first. if you are unable to, plug the usb cable to the camera and open it like a drive, go into "my computer" and locate your camera Wihtout the sd card in it, right click on it and format it through windows under tools

then pop in the sd card and do a format on it

we are doing this to ensure that 1, your camera works from factory settings, 2, debugging sd card issues. Could be an sd card problem. I had the same issue with my girlfrinds j10. All I did was format the sd card on to a pc and also the internal memory and then it was fine.

then come back. If those tips dont work, then we may need to force a flash update on the camera and pray it works.

Last edited by Cresho; May 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5

Default F700 problem

I did post a reply but did not see it listed so here goes again.
I did exactly as you suggested and reset according to the manual page 70.
Also on dpof it showed to be doing a reset but did not give a confirmation so no doubt it was not being reset. Connected the camera to the PC. Unfortunately the PC did not recognize the new hardware. I double checked the usb port with a web cam and a couple of other pieces of new hardware and the PC did recognize them and accepted as new drive. I actually took the memory card out of the camera and placed it into an adapter and the PC immediately recognized it as drive F. Of course, the PC not acknowledging a new drive, I was unable to do much more. I did loan the camera out a while back and have not had an occasion to download any photographs since that time. It looks like something has happened to the circuit board. Anyhow, not being able to see anything from the camera makes it very difficult to diagnose any further. To replace the circuit board would not be practical as the cost would be more than I can purchase another camera. Thank you for taking the time to run me through some tests. It was most helpful and I have learned a lesson. DONT loan out a camera. I also used another usb to camera cable with the same results. Regards...Russ.
Old May 24, 2010, 11:21 AM   #6

amazing. I still dont have my panasonic after I lent it out...lol