Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 23, 2010, 3:18 PM   #1

Default Need help with reds/Fuji HS10

I'm not exactly sure how to use this camera in terms of getting a nice red flower that's not blown to high heaven. I just got it last week and I'm a relative noob in terms of manual shooting. In this shot, it's a heavily overcast day so the WB is "shade", I've already taken the WB Fine Tune down a notch on both sliders, Fuji Color is set to std, and I'm thinking I needed to set shutter speed higher and set ISO lower (that it's overdoing itself at 200). "Auto" for this type of shot doesn't work at all, the cam way overdoes the ISO and all detail goes away.

Any thoughts for an idiot newbie?

Thanks for any input!
Anna
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 5:36 PM   #2

reduce color. it's in the menu. Don't use auto at all. Use p for beginners. I use mannual mode and I get tons of colors and contrast. I think that's how I like it. In automatic mode, you can't adjust many things. Use p mode to give you more control over the camera.

Last edited by Cresho; May 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
reduce color. it's in the menu. Don't use auto at all. Use p for beginners. I use mannual mode and I get tons of colors and contrast. I think that's how I like it. In automatic mode, you can't adjust many things. Use p mode to give you more control over the camera.
Cresho - thanks for your response. I rarely use AUTO and never, ever for flowers - this WAS shot manual, and I already DID reduce color; my OP said I'd already taken the WB Fine Tune down a notch on both sliders, Fuji Color is set to std (I've already figured out that Chrome is NOT what I'm looking for with this ).

I'm looking more for guidance on how to shoot it in manual - would a setting of maybe 1/125 at ISO 200 or maybe shooting this at 1/60 at 100 have been better?

Thanks for any assistance!

Last edited by AnniM; May 24, 2010 at 9:18 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 9:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Try underexposing it slightly (make sure the needle is left of center when metering the scene, which is what you'll get if you use a faster shutter speed for a given lighting, ISO speed and aperture) and see if that helps with blown channels. I have seen some posts where this model tends to blow the red channel easily, and underexposing a bit may help that behavior if you've already dialed down your saturation settings.

Or, just use a -EV setting with Exposure Compensation in P mode, Av Mode, etc. instead (which does the same thing, allowing a darker exposure than the camera is metering).

Or, you may find that spot metering works better for some scenes like that, too.

You may also want to try the latest firmware and see if that makes any difference with this camera's behavior:

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi...hs10/fupd.html

I also see that you have settings for sharpening increased. That can also cause issues with some cameras (since increased sharpening is increasing contrast at edge transitions, and increased contrast settings will negatively impact Dynamic Range). So, you may want to dial it back down to defaults again. Dialing down settings for things like Contrast may also help out (since increasing Contrast makes darker areas darker and brighter areas brighter -- leading to clipped highlights and blocked shadows).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 11:21 PM   #5

Default Need help with reds/Fuji HS10 --- good thoughts

Jim - very good thoughts, thank you - I had not considered the sharpening as a possible accomplice to this type of blowout. I'll retake these in a few days and see what happens!