Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 29, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1

Default TCON-17 or B-300 on Fujifilm Cameras.

I have a basic question about using either of these.
I know I need a thread adpater.
Several people on here have used the the TCON-17 on the HS10.

1. Did you need an adpter tube or just the ring?
2. Anyone know or care to speculate if just a ring would work on the S200EXR?

Wish I had one right now as it's fleet week here in NYC and I live right on the river.

Thanks.

Bob S.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Hi staats,
I had similar question..
According to gjtoth, who has one, its the same thing different names...
Check this link, he explains it well there. Even points the correct adapter:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/1084160-post3.html

Bye.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 10:29 AM   #3

I've seen that thread already. That and some of his pictures is where I got the idea.

It doesn't answer all my questions though.

Bob S.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4

The TCON-17 lens is readily available and it replaced the B300 which is tough to find. Comparable. The thread is 55mm on the TCON-17 so a step ring would be needed. You need to have the add-on as close as possible to the camera lens in order to make the most of the addition without adding unwanted image distortion or softness.

The S200 EXR I can't really comment on since I don't have it, but if it has threads like the HS10 then it can work. I use the Raynox 1540 1.5x with a 52-58mm step ring and get decent results.

The TCON-17 is 1.7x factor.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 12:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
I've seen that thread already. That and some of his pictures is where I got the idea.

It doesn't answer all my questions though.

Bob S.
Bob, the reason it works so well on the HS10 is because the HS10 has a manual zoom. I'm not familiar with the 200, however I'd venture to say you have a little toggle switch that activates some servos that activate the zoom. If this is the case, I would NOT mount the TCON17 on that lens barrel. The weight of the TCON17 could totally hose your servos and quite possibly de-rail the lens barrel. I have used the TCON on several of my past bridge cameras BUT it required an adapter tube that screwed into the camera body -- not the lens barrel -- and was therefore able to support the weight.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 1:01 PM   #6

Wow, I totally missed it on that one for the S200. It would need an adapter much like ones that were made for the early Panasonic FZ series. It would not be advisable as Gary mentioned earlier if that is the case.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Bob, the reason it works so well on the HS10 is because the HS10 has a manual zoom. I'm not familiar with the 200, however I'd venture to say you have a little toggle switch that activates some servos that activate the zoom. If this is the case, I would NOT mount the TCON17 on that lens barrel. The weight of the TCON17 could totally hose your servos and quite possibly de-rail the lens barrel. I have used the TCON on several of my past bridge cameras BUT it required an adapter tube that screwed into the camera body -- not the lens barrel -- and was therefore able to support the weight.
The S200EXR is pretty much the same as the HS10 except it doesn't have as big a zoom lens or the tilting LCD screen. Same manual zoom & focus rings. Many of the same controls and processing features too. The flash that gets in the way of focusing as well! ;>)

So I think what you're suggesting is that no adapter tube is going to be required and a simple thread adapter will do? The lack of a motorized zoom which is one reason I bought this camera is then not an issue. I don't know about the the autofocus though? That's essential on this camera since I've had piss poor results trying to focus it manually. I can't see anything very well in the field.

Now I've read on another forum that one person got as good a set of results with just using the digital zoom, in fact he thought it was better than using the TCON-17. Cresho suggested this as well. If the lens is decent which I have read it is I must say I wouldn't think that the digital zoom could be as good or superior?

Thoughts?

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; May 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 1:43 PM   #8

I'm not disputing anyone so, let's not start a little war here. However, digital zoom is, to my understanding, nothing more than in-camera cropping. If you over-crop an image, what happens? In my opinion, it is simply not going to replace a good lens or teleconverter/extender.
My Gallery

--
Old May 29, 2010, 2:22 PM   #9

Dems fightin' words!!! ;>) No, no wars but I just ddn't see how reducing the pixel density in 1/2 could do as well as a good lens. Now maybe they do some interoplating and the quality is better than I'm imagining. To be honest I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with the digital zoom enough as yet.

Thanks.

Will we see some dragonfly pictures from you this summer?

Bob S.
Old May 29, 2010, 2:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by staats View Post
Dems fightin' words!!! ;>) No, no wars but I just ddn't see how reducing the pixel density in 1/2 could do as well as a good lens. Now maybe they do some interoplating and the quality is better than I'm imagining. To be honest I haven't had the opportunity to experiment with the digital zoom enough as yet.

Thanks.

Will we see some dragonfly pictures from you this summer?

Bob S.
If they happen across my path. I'm not much of a bug hunter
My Gallery

--