Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 5, 2010, 7:57 AM   #1

Default How to obtain background blur?

Hi all,
ok, this is really getting silly....
I have a HS-10 and try as i like i can not get this effect to work...
I have tried a number of on-line tutorials but still it wont work.
I must be doing sum thing wrong but what???
I have set it to `A` and tried the lowest f numbers but still no blurr.
Any help would be great,
Thanks.
mini-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2010, 8:27 AM   #2

How close are you to your subject?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:09 PM   #3

Hi,
i have tried a number of distances.......
mini-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:21 PM   #4

mannual mode f1 for blurred background. for sharp distances and no blur like a beach shot, or mountain, etc, f11

basically the iris controls the blur and f1 does it for close distance. also use spot focusing

I'm posting these 2 shots with f2 shot macro. but I'm not posting any personal shots with family and blurred backgrounds for personal reasons.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Jun 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:30 PM   #5

Here ill post one more in 5 minutes of a baseball as a subject
Old Jun 5, 2010, 3:44 PM   #6

here is a subject with low f-stop. NOthing spectacular. I just walked back there and snapped one.

stand 4-7 feet from sucbject and zoom in. use digital zoom too and you can get your background blurred as well and easily. USe Spot focusing
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Jun 5, 2010 at 3:48 PM.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:06 PM   #7

You should probably invest in a DSLR if you want to get serious about producing Bokeh in your pictures.
akin_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 5:40 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
here is a subject with low f-stop. NOthing spectacular. I just walked back there and snapped one.

stand 4-7 feet from sucbject and zoom in. use digital zoom too and you can get your background blurred as well and easily. USe Spot focusing
Just as a note, digital zoom has no affect on getting a shallow depth of field (DOF), this is purely created by the optical properties of a lens.

There are 3 main controlling elements to getting a shallow depth of field and a 4th one for blurring the background more.

Doing any of the following will reduce the DOF, and combining them will have a greater effect.

-Use a wider aperture (small f number)
-Use a longer lens (longer focal length to be more precise)
-Shoot closer to the subject

The 4th aspect for the blurred background is get the background as far from the subject as possible (or the subject from the background, depending which you can move).

With your HS10, work at the maximum focal length with the widest aperture and frame tight to the subject so that you are as close as possible, this will give you the most reduced DOF.

This is why in most peoples macro shots you see the shallow DOF, you should also be able to get a shallow DOF with a tight head shot of someone using most of the focal length of the lens.

As mentioned in another post you will struggle with a superzoom to get a shallow DOF in lots of shots as the sensor is just too small meaning that even when you zoom lots you are still not using a very long lens, and also at these lengths the lens isn't that fast (the aperture is narrow).

Have a play around with the settings of http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html which will allow you to see how altering a setting changes the DOF. Make sure you use the real lens focal lengths, not the 35mm equivalent as you will get very inaccurate results.