Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:06 PM   #1

Default Focus and displayed image

Hello,

Today i have received my (2 nd) HS10, and it came out of the box with firmware 1.02.
I must say the images are sharper taken on full tele (one the same distance and object ) on this one than one the first HS10 i've had.
But the sad thing is that the image shown on the display during focusing, is NOT the same that you get after the picture is taken , i mean the exposure, i would be nice if you see the exact image (exposure wise ) when you push the release half way, this way people not so good in taking pictures like me , will imediatly notice their mistake...
or is this feature hidden some where ?

greetz
Old Jun 19, 2010, 1:35 PM   #2

Default You are correct...

... and that is MY one gripe with this camera. I also own a Panasonic FZ28 and an Olympus SP570, both of which allow you to visually see the changes you make in settings via the viewfinders - this camera does not.

Now, I understand that perhaps I've grown too comfortable with the EVF/LCD views reflecting the changes and have not learned as much as I should have, perhaps, by simple trial and error with settings (Hm. 1/160 at f5.6 should look like this) but I'll agree - until one gets to that place, it does make this camera a bit more difficult to use than others. I've often found that I'm resorting to P mode more with this cam than I have with the other two I've mentioned for shots that I don't want to risk blowing, simply because I might not get a chance to retake the same shot two or three times with slightly different settings and review each time. The little light meter in the bottom right quadrant of the screen isn't too dependable for this either on really bright days - it works well for days with a fairly even light but if you're snapping something bright, that meter swings all over the place.

Not giving up on it, though. I do understand the "basics" of shutter and aperture, it's the "in practice" part I'm still learning; if I can't rely on the "live view" then this is the cam that'll force me to learn how to do it intuitively
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:00 PM   #3

Thanks AnniM, i thought i was asking a dumb question here, but maybe there is a chance that the good engineers from Fuji can change this in a following update.....please
It should not be that hard, because the image and settings is at the moment of pushing the release button halfway, already in the "brain" of the HS10 , so why not show it ?
Greetz
Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint View Post
Thanks AnniM, i thought i was asking a dumb question here, but maybe there is a chance that the good engineers from Fuji can change this in a following update.....please
It should not be that hard, because the image and settings is at the moment of pushing the release button halfway, already in the "brain" of the HS10 , so why not show it ?
Greetz
Just curious. Have you emailed/written any of this to Fujifilm? It's obvious they listen. Look how fast they responded in getting out the first 2 firmware updates.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:14 PM   #5

Hello Gary, no not yet, thanks for the tip.

edit ; i just found the contact form from the Tokyo headquaters, and wrote them a nice email, with a link to this site also, now let's hope they do something about it.

greetz

Last edited by sprint; Jun 19, 2010 at 4:48 PM.
sprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Just curious. Have you emailed/written any of this to Fujifilm? It's obvious they listen. Look how fast they responded in getting out the first 2 firmware updates.
Yep, twice (just to make sure they get the point ) ... the first time one of their reps wrote back to make sure I was aware of the exposure meter visible on the lower right hand side of the screen. I wrote back that of COURSE I knew about that - but how good is it if, let's say, I'm photographing a white flower. Okay, metering a more neutral area suggests maybe 1/125. Metering the FLOWER, the exposure meter tells me more like 1/800. FOUR SHOTS later, I finally arrive at a decent middle ground, and it turns out the correct exposure is more like 1/320. I got there by trial and error, not by being able to read the correct exposure using that meter, and it took me four shots to do it - whereas if the darn LCD/EVF would reflect the adjustments you make, it should only have taken ONE. In none of the shots did the image on the LCD accurately match the final shot upon playback.

Maybe if I ever get to "Bryan Peterson" stage, where I can gauge intuitively what the correct exposure should be out of sheer familiarity with the effects of the different settings, then perhaps I wouldn't need the EVF to update itself with the current settings. I sure ain't there yet

Let's see if they're really listening that hard
AnniM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniM View Post
Yep, twice (just to make sure they get the point ) ... the first time one of their reps wrote back to make sure I was aware of the exposure meter visible on the lower right hand side of the screen. I wrote back that of COURSE I knew about that - but how good is it if, let's say, I'm photographing a white flower. Okay, metering a more neutral area suggests maybe 1/125. Metering the FLOWER, the exposure meter tells me more like 1/800. FOUR SHOTS later, I finally arrive at a decent middle ground, and it turns out the correct exposure is more like 1/320. I got there by trial and error, not by being able to read the correct exposure using that meter, and it took me four shots to do it - whereas if the darn LCD/EVF would reflect the adjustments you make, it should only have taken ONE. In none of the shots did the image on the LCD accurately match the final shot upon playback.

Maybe if I ever get to "Bryan Peterson" stage, where I can gauge intuitively what the correct exposure should be out of sheer familiarity with the effects of the different settings, then perhaps I wouldn't need the EVF to update itself with the current settings. I sure ain't there yet

Let's see if they're really listening that hard
My money's on Fuji since they've been pretty responsive thus far. Although I can't know for sure, I get the distinct impression they want the HS-10 to be a true success and are willing to go the distance to make that happen.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:41 PM   #8

It is now 6 days later , that i mailed the Tokyo office of Fuji, but no reply