Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:40 PM   #1

Default HS10 Review by 'Digital Camera Review'

In a very recent review, DCR made the following statement, "The HS10 presents a couple of frustrating missed opportunities in the design process, and it's a poor choice for those who like to shoot primarily action or video. For just about everyone else (in my opinion) this camera stands above most of its competition."

Since I purchased this camera a few days ago with "action or video" in mind I wonder whether those who are more experienced with using it feel that statement is a fair assessment? I hope not, because if it is, I may have made a poor choice.

Thanks for your comments.
WGLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:09 PM   #2

You have the camera. What have YOU discovered? Is the author correct? ambiguous? wrong? So far, *for me*, the HS-10 meets or exceeds every challenge I have issued it. Professional reviewers tend not to spend a lot of time with a given camera. They just don't have it to give because of the nature of their profession. They put it through some standard perfunctory tests and issue their verdict. The truth is, with a camera like the HS-10, one needs to spend LOTS of time to get to know it and work within it's capabilities. Which is why I don't put a lot of credence in "professional reviews". What triggers my "buy gun" initially is specs, feature set, bang for buck, and if available actual user image samples. When I see images coming from Joe Everyman that amaze me, I take a closer look at the camera for the other criteria mentioned above. If I really like what I see, it's mine. Then the learning comes. I try to get images like the one that prompted me to buy the camera. If I can't, it's MY fault because I *know* the camera is capable -- I've seen the proof.

Make sense? In *my* mind, you made a good choice. Go learn your camera.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jun 17, 2010 at 7:12 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 1:02 AM   #3

gjtoth,

Quote, "What have YOU discovered?" I have discovered that after not using a camera for over 20 years, I am as rusty as an old iron gate. (I have had a non-digital camcorder since 2001.) I tried to enter the digital era in 2006 with a Canon S3 IS. I attempted reading the manual but never got the camera out of the box. I eventually gave it to my daughter. Almost purchased a Canon SX1 IS for Xmas but my local dealer had sold his last one. Before he got another, I saw the announcement about the HS10. I have taken 15 pictures and movies so far. Mostly I am discovering what I am doing wrong, not what the camera is capable of. At least, I have gotten it out of the box.

By the way, I did live in Louisville from 1959-1961. Even returned to my old house a few years ago. The current owners were very gracious.
WGLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGLance View Post
gjtoth,

Quote, "What have YOU discovered?" I have discovered that after not using a camera for over 20 years, I am as rusty as an old iron gate. (I have had a non-digital camcorder since 2001.) I tried to enter the digital era in 2006 with a Canon S3 IS. I attempted reading the manual but never got the camera out of the box. I eventually gave it to my daughter. Almost purchased a Canon SX1 IS for Xmas but my local dealer had sold his last one. Before he got another, I saw the announcement about the HS10. I have taken 15 pictures and movies so far. Mostly I am discovering what I am doing wrong, not what the camera is capable of. At least, I have gotten it out of the box.

By the way, I did live in Louisville from 1959-1961. Even returned to my old house a few years ago. The current owners were very gracious.
Well, then you're making progress. The HS-10 is a sophisicated camera. BUT, until you feel comfortable enough with it, keep it in SRauto. Most of the time it will perform better than you expected. There's nothing wrong in doing it that way. Do yourself a favor and pick up two books - Scott Kelby's, "The Digital Photography Book" - vols 1 & 2 (3 if you feel like it) and Bryan Peterson's, "Understanding Exposure". Kelby's book will have you shooting like a pro within 48 hours... REALLY! It's a fun book, easy read, and NOT technical. Peterson's book is a TAD technical but easy to understand. Copy the manual .pdf to your desktop. It's WAY easier to search for stuff that way than thumbing through a printed manual. One last bit: get a decent tripod!

The HS-10 is a great camera but may as well be an expensive doorstop unless you use it. Don't be afraid to take LOTS of shots. You are free from film! That's one of the great things about digital cameras. You have a great source of information right here. There's so much talent here it's almost scary. But, unlike a LOT of other forums, these guys & gals will happily help you out. Ask questions unabashedly. We all started out right where you are.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote