Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:14 PM   #11

..........I still believe that the S7000 is a very good camera........

Phil, I think that's Fuji's point. They claim the general composition of natural scenes is the reason their tilted sensor produces a better image (Not necessarily the best test resolution chart!) And for the other poster, you're right that the lens is the other part of the equation and both sensor and lens are designed as a system, I suspect to fall off at the point where the marketing and costings people feel the product has the competitive edge. So theory and implementation can give unexpected results.

Who questions whether the resolution is achieved only at the image centre or over the whole field of a lens, and at what focal length, whilst the Mpix stay the same! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:17 PM   #12
hst

Default See Steves Quote in the conclusion of his review

Another thing to consider according to Steves review is that Fuji only allows you to choose resolution with the 12MP photo. The 6MP photo have a much higher Jpeg compression ration. That is going to give you a higher quality image at 12MP just because the compression is not as agressive. Irregardless of how interpol. works, your going to have a better print with the 12MP by using the higher Jpeg quality setting. I don't own one but the camera appears to also have an awsome video capability rivaling that of a digital camcorder.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:12 AM   #13

......I don't own one but the camera appears to also have an awsome video capability rivaling that of a digital camcorder........

hst - I haven't checked the detail, but to be better it would have to produce MPEG files a la DVcam, not motion JPEG. VOX
Old Dec 13, 2003, 1:59 PM   #14

Well, video on S5000 sucks. It needs a really goooood light and occupies a loooot of space. Recompressing to DivX reduces size 9-11 times. Well, just a toy (as a toy it's good).
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 7:13 PM   #15

Klyak......sounds just the same as my S602 then. Without hardware MPEG2 encoding, I'm afraid video will still be enormous files (albeit superb 640X480 frames for static scenes), no motion estimation and compensation, awful pans and no camera zoom features because the MJPEG would just fall apart! Oh, and lots of JPEG artefacts seen on bigger screens, 'cos they have to use far more compression to get anything MJPEG on to a card. VOX