Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:54 AM   #1

Default S7000: WORTH TO GO 12MP

:?: Hi, this is my very first post here in this forum. So, hi everyone.

I bought a S7000 around a month ago and I am very pleased with it (so far).

A few days ago I was trying to notice the difference between the 12MP and the 6MP resolutions taking some identical shots, but only changing the resolution. Ok, I am not a photo pro or something like that, but to me they looked identical. The only big difference is that 12MP eats memory like hell in comparison with 6MP.

Is there any real difference in terms of quality? What should I look to see the difference if any? Is it worth to use 12MP in the S7000?

Thanks a lot.

[img]c:\temp\1.jpg[/img]
[img]c:\temp\2.jpg[/img]
[img]c:\temp\3.jpg[/img]
[img]c:\temp\4.jpg[/img]
jmdavila is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2003, 6:49 AM   #2

Hi.

First upload those pictures somewhere and post the URL between [img][/img]. We're not able to see your hard drive from all the way here
veedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2003, 8:43 AM   #3

The general answer would be no. The 12mp is a interpolation of where the camera believes more pixels should be and it does not necessarly enhance the picture. You should remain with 6mp setting for your shots. Fuji uses the 12mp as an advertisement and marketing scheme.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 2:40 AM   #4

Default An actual "users" POV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
The general answer would be no. The 12mp is a interpolation of where the camera believes more pixels should be and it does not necessarly enhance the picture. You should remain with 6mp setting for your shots. Fuji uses the 12mp as an advertisement and marketing scheme.
Whooaaaa nelly. Lets back up a bit here. I think you ran over several "truths" on your way in :-). As an owner (collective) of several S602's and now starting on S7000's, an R+D engineer of 25yrs and a S602 surgeon (refer www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html), I can probably offer you a more factual reply. NOR am I even loyal to Fuji, but AFAIC the S602 and S7000 are the best value DC's still to this day. Now on to your questions -
The Super-CCD technology works quite well. MANY independant resolution tests have proven it beyond doubt, NOT to mention A4 - A3 printouts (I've done hundreds). DON'T go by what you see on your monitor, it LIES (and that goes for any DC viewed). 12MP Fine or RAW will give you VERY noticeable quality increase when it comes to printing, ESPECIALLY the larger sizes. OR you can trade print size for crop factor. ie You can throw away 50% of your shot to get better "framing" and still print A4. The main complaint of the S7000's 6MP mode, is that Fuji over-sharpened it. You can't go back once you sharpen, that detail is lost. FOR MOST, they'll never know the difference, but it's a KNOWN issue (amongst the nit-pickers). Your question should really be - What do I want to do with the pix ??
a) Rarely print them over 4x6 - 8x10, do slide shows, store them on CD. ANSWER : Stay in 6MP.
b) Often print A4 + and want to display stunning prints, start a gallery, give the DSLR boys a run for their money :-). ANSWER : 12MP Fine or RAW.
Trust a long term user and don't even bother getting drawn into childish arguments, Fuji users don't go around shi**ing in other peoples's nests :-). You've made a very good choice.
JKirk
jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:48 AM   #5

I am not sure what truths I ram over.

Is interpolation used to create the 12mp effect?
Will the interpolation mode enhance the picture all the time?
Is the 12mp true 12mp or is it used to increase the marketing of the camera?

The S7000 is an very good camera and will produce hight quality pictures without using the 12mp mode. You have made a great camera choice.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:30 AM   #6

Hi Gib.. , Jkirk will I'm sure give chapter and verse on this as its history lies in Fuji's use of a sensor array rotated through 45 degrees. Much has been said about this. JKirk's first important point is you don't see the improvement on a monitor, which takes some believing. But as I understand it, most printers now use resolution enhancement and the more data you send the printer the better this works on large prints.

Back to the 12/6 Mpix. The arguments are the same as for 3/6 Mpix on a 602. When we talk of 'interpolation' we usually mean creating new data from two existing samples at the captured file level. This is not what Fuji are doing as you might do with an editor. Fuji are using the diagonal orientation of their sensor to generate real data. However, the truth is in how we see and test for resolution. I think I'm right in saying that 6 Mpix is derived from 12 Mpix by internally down sampling anyway (which explains why there is no uncompressed option at this setting). Any differences you see are most likely due to the different application of camera sharpening - not to the down sampling process. So whether you like it or not, you're starting with a 12 Mpix data file.

As I understand it, a perfectly horizontal and vertically orientated pixel array will produce resolution in the x and y planes, according to the respective pixel densities. However, turn the sensor around a bit, and in this case the maximum resolution moves to the diagonal and approximately the square root of 2 figure produces the equivalent vertical and horizontal resolution components, So if you believe that in an average scene, the eye perceives resolution subjectively in diagonal components more than vertical or horizontal, then buy the Fuji technology and only test resolution with a radial test chart.

If you still believe that resolution is seen in only vertical and horizontal planes and we are comparing Fuji's sensor with a conventional sensor (using H&V res charts), then Fuji's 12 Mpix would look similar to a 8.4 Mpix camera, or their 6Mpix would look like 4.24 Mpix. Conversely if you believe the diagonal resolution argument is better, a conventional 8.4 Mpix camera would not look as good as a 12 Mpix Fuji on the 45 degree axis.

So what do you want to believe? VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 9:39 AM   #7

I appreciate the detail explanation Vox. I have to let it soak in for awhile. I still believe that the S7000 is a very good camera.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:03 AM   #8

thats a whole lot of believing there boys.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:47 AM   #9

Default Hi again

You may think I'm crazy, but resolution is NOT metering in MPixels (sorry my bad english). Normally it's lines per millimeters or inches (how thin lines you can see without "moir").
It depends 1st - from lens, 2-nd - from matrix (you can wonder why professional 3-4 Mpix cameras are beating 5-6 MP consumers).
This link (thanx Lin Evans)http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/mino...ea1/page20.asp
clearly shows, that Fuji's 45 trick seems working!!!
Thing is - you have to pay the price of 2 times more pixels (space in f...g xD card) for 12% more resolution. May be you need. In theory resolution in 12, 6, and 3 Mpix modes have to be the same - 1650 lph (Sigma SD10 does 1600 with 3 MP). I think - Fuji's resizing algorithms are bad.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2003, 5:59 AM   #10

Thanks all for replying.
jmdavila is offline   Reply With Quote