Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 2, 2010, 4:20 AM   #11

I forgot to mention that, despite the strangeness of the "aperture" implementation, I think it's another example of the fresh approach which seems to be the Fuji trademark, and I (for what it's worth!) approve.

The point is, with a 1/2" sensor (actually 6.5mm), at 5 megapixels, the laws of physics imply that diffraction blurring will start to become noticeable at apertures not much smaller than f3.3. So, the last thing you want to do is stop the lens down further.

In fact, at the longer telephoto focal lengths, the aperture is small enough - as it is - for blurring to take place. And this is actually noticeable - telephoto images are slightly softer than at the wide end. (Of course, this could be the fault of the lens itself, so we can't treat this as "proof".)

A good website for more info on diffraction is cambridgeincolour.com, which covers this and more in various tutorials.
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 6:00 PM   #12

Here are a few landscape shots, I have taken with the camera...

f/10 1/128 sec ISO 200

f/11 1/350 sec ISO 200

f/6.4 1/420 sec ISO 200
mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:28 PM   #13

holy crap, that last one is a real eye catcher. Please consider posting it in interfacelift.com. You have a good eye for shooting!

Last edited by Cresho; Sep 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
holy crap, that last one is a real eye catcher. Please consider posting it in interfacelift.com. You have a good eye for shooting!
Thanks, Cresho.
mono is offline   Reply With Quote