Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:20 PM   #1

Default HS10 Fireworks Question

Has anyone used the fireworks mode on the Fuji HS10 yet? I am wondering if the slow shutter speed it advertises is slow enough that I won;t be able to hand hold the camera and get good shots (will I need a tripod) and if anyone knows roughly what the shutter speed is it uses. In the past I have been using other modes to get fireworks images but three people suggested I try a fireworks mode on the camera to get more color saturation and trails.....

Any advise appreciated. I know another method to get decent images but want very good images if possible.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:29 PM   #2

read lower, they posted one up a few days ago
http://picasaweb.google.com/whzee62/...eat=directlink
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post
Has anyone used the fireworks mode on the Fuji HS10 yet? I am wondering if the slow shutter speed it advertises is slow enough that I won;t be able to hand hold the camera and get good shots (will I need a tripod) and if anyone knows roughly what the shutter speed is it uses. In the past I have been using other modes to get fireworks images but three people suggested I try a fireworks mode on the camera to get more color saturation and trails.....

Any advise appreciated. I know another method to get decent images but want very good images if possible.

dave
Since the HS-10 has no Bulb mode (the only way I know FOR SURE how to get really decent fireworks & lightning images), I'd have to make it #4 for shooting it in the Fireworks scene... WITH a tripod. I haven't had an opportunity to try any fireworks with the HS-10 yet. Hopefully, this weekend will provided that chance.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
read lower, they posted one up a few days ago
http://picasaweb.google.com/whzee62/...eat=directlink
Thanks that tells me I will need a tripod with the HS10....... I report back next week with my results.

dave
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:59 PM   #5

expecting to see excellent results
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2010, 7:20 PM   #6

You can try the two second shutter delay (which I used with my Sony H2 also) with fireworks if your become adept enough to forsee the explosion timings. Using that (to avoid any juggle artifacts) does work but it is often "catch as catch can"!

With the three and four second exposures I used on the 26th you can clearly see where the exposure started (wavy lines) as my finger left the button and the straight lines as the camera quickly settled down.

I am "hoping" that being closer to the explosions on Sunday (bigger/brighter) I will be using much shorter exposures with less jiggle as a result.
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7

Shot the local fireworks tonight. Got some nice shots. Had some trees that were very tall and interfered with the lower stuff. For the higher stuff I used 2, 2.5 and 3 second settings under fireworks scene mode. When they did one blast at a time it was on 2 seconds, as it moved on and the shot a multi string I did 2.5 seconds and for the finale 3 seconds did the job......

I will make an attempt to post some in the next week.

dave
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:49 PM   #8

Default HS10 Fireworks July 3

Second attempt...first was on June 26.

Detailed description on Picasa site.

Comments welcome.

http://picasaweb.google.com/whzee62/FireworksJuly3?feat=directlink
harryzee is offline   Reply With Quote