Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:12 AM   #1

Default The A380 superjumbo -HS10 + Tcon17 teleconverter

I am happy to share with you the first visit of this large bird to Amsterdam airport Schiphol.

The idea was to catch it alongside the runway, but I couldn't make it in time. Fortunately the HS10 and tcon17 could get me shots from the distance anyway

levels and wb edited for most shots. also cropped for best frame / aspect ratio.
Attached Images

Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:04 AM   #2

Well done, GB!! That thing is freakin' HUGE!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:28 AM   #3

Wow, I saw it on the news this morning, i still can't belive that plane is so huge
Arjan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:03 PM   #4

Wonder what the people along side it were hoping to capture standing so close! looks like you got the better view. What's this TCON17 I keep hearing about by the way?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:05 PM   #5

It is a slow plane, but Emeirates A380 business class is insane when I flow it 2 years ago. Can't wait to try the Lufthansa A380 next. Did KLM buy couple of A380 I know Air France flies thier A380 to JFK.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:55 PM   #6

Thanks all!

It is a large bird. But I first got a clue of how big it really is when I arrived at work and biked towards it's gate. Aircraft generally considered large get dwarfed by this one It was really great to see so many people from all over the country (okay, it isn't that big ) came to catch a glimpse of it.

@ Kenzie: When you're alongside the runway there's still plenty room to catch it side-on; I guess the large zoomsetting makes it look like they're almost touching it [edit: Forgot the Tcon17 question; It's a lens you can screw on the lens of the HS10. It's a focal length multiplier, by 1,7x. So your zoom grows from a max of 720m to 1224mm. Comes in handy if you can't get close to your subject. The lens has a mounting thread of 55mm, so you need step ring 55-58mm to be able to mount it on the HS10.

@ Shoturtle: So far it's flying in mainly white colorschemes; Some color would look nice on it I guess. Not sure if KLM will get a few; It would be great if they did.

Last edited by greenbaron; Jul 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM.
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:09 PM   #7

Yeah, there is only 4 airlines that are flying it currently. Not to many of them out there.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yeah, there is only 4 airlines that are flying it currently. Not to many of them out there.
Imagine such a plane crashing into the ocean
That would be an real disaster
Arjan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 2:59 AM   #9

Is there any risk of vignetting with this lens? If it improves the zoom that much it may be worth investing. Does it put any stress on the lens barrel or thread with the extra weight?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjan- View Post
Imagine such a plane crashing into the ocean
That would be an real disaster
Don't start dude.. I might take that Air France flight to the Big Apple later this year

@ Kenzie: vignetting starts at about 300 - 200mm and wider. That means there's no gap between the cams native max tele and the 'vignet free' wide end with the tcon17. There is some stress on the barrel; especially if you're aiming up or down at or a near 90 degree angle, the lens might extrude or retract by the weight of the Tcon. So supporting the lensbarrel is recommended; When shooting horizontally, I use my thumb and indexfinger to operate the zoomring, and the rest of the hand to support the Tcon; For stability I rest my elbow on the belly and use the evf.
I'm sure the thread is in no danger of getting damaged; The camera feels sturdy enough to manage the weight of the tcon all by itself, but for safety I don't have it carry that weight longer than neccessarry