Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 13, 2003, 5:38 PM   #1

Default Help pull the trigger! Fuji, Minolta, Nikon?

:?: Assume that money is no object (ummmm). I have three websites up with a Fuji 7000, Minolta A-1 and Nikon 5700. I'm ready to hit BUY but I have the shakes. So many opinions. So much distortion, pincushioning, battery drains, etc.

What's your opinion. Tonights the night and I need help.
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:37 PM   #2

well the A1 no longer has the battery drain issue. it now has a li ion battery pack and lasts well over 200 images per charge. it has a real wide angle lens (28mm) which helps with the indoor shots and the landscapes. in my opinion the best slr type feel of all. lika a real manual twist zoom instead of a pusbutton electric zoom a manual focus ring. a real dedicated flash system for their external flash system. it does support real big CF cards above 2gb if you a total maniac for large images and image counts.

the minuses are a slightly higher noise level easily delt with such programs as neat image or noise ninja.

i chose it for its versatility as an all in one package. the 28-200 2.8-3.5 lens covers a lot of ground. the anti shake system is real cute too. it augments my Dslr. controls are much better accessable and understood if you used an slr before too. i don't need or want adapter tubes an aux lenses to carry around. if your looking for that this is not the camera for you. it does not take aux lenses well. i have all that in my Dslr. it is not perfect but all 3 that you mentioned have there warts to deal with. you have to choose the one you want to
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:41 PM   #3

assuming $$$ is no object you might want to move up a notch to a digital rebel/300D if your into accessorizing. you can customize your lens factors by interchanging with real lenses instead of stacking mediocre glass on top of good glass and all its issues.

along with the lens options you do get a better/larger imager as a bonus.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:17 PM   #4

It's a strange - even considering to buy Minlta A1 for $1200 if you can buy Canon 300D (from $750 for body) + Canon EF 28-135 (IS)(from $450) = $1200 total? You will have image stabilizied lens and superb low noise and high resolution matrix. I hope it will be my next cam.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:26 PM   #5

Sorry, just saw that Minolta have dropped pricing to $700 approx.
Anyway - Digital Rebel ($800 for kit) looks like better option to me.
I hate digital noise. All modern consumer cameras doing a HELL of a noise, even Leica.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:31 PM   #6

don't worry you'll have it on the 300D too.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 10:16 AM   #7

:roll: I am still confused and couldn't sleep all night because of it!! That's it; today is my deadline. Nikon, Minolta, Fuji....

Why go to the Rebel and deal with the expense and weight of carrying around extra lenses? I thought I did away with that once I went away from 35 mm SLRs.

Also, none of the responses dealt with the cameras in question which seem to be in the same class. At least there was one opinion on the A1 by sjms, but no explanation as to why he thinks it is better than the rest other than Minoltas old battery drain issue was addressed. Does the anti-shake stabilization really work?

I was at least relieved to see that the s7000 battery drain has been "dealt with" by going to microdrive, stay with xd or take the risk of high speed CF. The issue regarding 12mp vs. 6mp compressed still has me somewhat concerned. (This forum, Steve's Conclusion, etc.). 8x10 is really the edge of my reality but why would I want to go with a psudo 6mp (no control over comrepssion) rather than a true 5mp that others offer.

Why isn't there a perfect prosumer digital like in the 60's-70's when we knew Nikon was best! This is similar to buying high end speakers. Unless you listen to each, you have to rely upon a salesman for advice which opinion is often based upon commissions. (But it's hard to try out these digicams).

Also, I have read "all" the reviews but they are hard to interpret because they are not side-by-side and some of them are more than a year old. For example, how does one compare a stellar review on a Nikon 5700 with a review on an s7000 and A1 written a year and a half later? Also, the Nikon $100 rebate is good news, unless you realize/assume that it means it is going to be discontinued.

Interestingly, many of the bigger or best internet sites do NOT sell an extended warranty. (e.g. buy.com, newegg.com etc.) I would have thought that an extended warranty is a necessity on this type of product?

Well, since I couldn't stand the pressure any more, I closed up each Cart on multiple sites. I am going to open them again today and see if someone can convince/help me. For the s7000 I think that will include a high speed CF and hope the battery drain issue is dead.

Any help in making a decision would be appreciated.
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:42 AM   #8

ok

why i think the A1 is better

1- much better range of focal length 28-200 vs 35-210. its a real WA lens. much more versitile in range then the others. those indoor livingroom family shots don't need to be squeezed in. also the outdoor shots get a much better view. no aux lens junk and connecter tubes. no it doesn't like aux lenses either so if your a loooong lens junkie not the camera for you

2- it got the best overall feel. it just like a SLR. the lens again is so superior in that the zoom is mechanical not push button electrics. this makes it fast/slow when you want you control it. AF is excellent and manual focus is again a ring not a push button. all controls are pretty much easily accessable so in any mode control is a finger tip away.

3-noise. it is an issue that plagues all digital cameras. now in some situations the A1 noise component has been higher then others. when i shoot jpg and there is noise in the image i remove it with neat image or noise ninja. these programs are a must with all digital cameras even the other two in certain situations. i generally shoot RAW so the noise issue is reduced considerably.

4- anti shake. yes it does work. i believe it belongs in all small cameras just as i use it on my 1Ds. there are limits to it. it is optimized to the long end of the focal length. it is not gyrocam it reduces the affect of shake. it does not eliminate it. but then again neither does my $1600 IS lens.

5- 4 different power sources- NP400 batteries 200+shots out of each. optional vert grip which allows 6 nimh batts or 2 NP400 and you now get a vert release button as a bonus. 6v input for AC or external BP

6- flash system. the built in little strobe puts out more then its size suggests. then when you really need light you can put on the DEDICATED external strobes that function so so much better the the nondicated systems offered by the other 2. BUT THATS NOT ALL remove their external strobe frome its perch atop you camera make a slight adjustment in you cameras control screen and you have a WIRELESS flash setup now. there is also an output to trigger studio strobes.

look all this info is generally available. you have to sift thru what you feel is important. i can't convice someone without a purpose. i chose the A1 because it augmented my 1Ds in form and operation and is compact for quick field trps where i don't wish to carry the load. no real rethinking minimal button pushing and menu scrolling once set up.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:01 PM   #9

on the subject of battery drain on the 7000. how does going to a higher current draw device reduce battery consumption?

on xD cards. staying with xD means you stay with 2 brands of cameras Oly and Fuji. no one else will really deal with a propriatary mem concept. both SD and CF are open standards and considerably better accepted. though there are adapters.

when you buy a CF card and buy cheap you get slow and cheap. buy good like sandisk ultra 2 or lexar you should hve no problems

with the fuji it takes a lot of faith or belief in their version of reality on the MP issue.

the rebel offers an opening to a completely different aspect of photography in image quality and control/creativity. just as going from a P/S camera to an slr. monumental of differences there.

nikon wasn't necessarily the best all the time. back then they had deep pockets to convince you they were the best. at the moment everyone is playing on an even field with no clear front runner. this is due to the complexity of giving you the camera and the film built into one unit and you can't change it out.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 1:57 PM   #10

Now Chuckles... you're wanting someone to make your decision for you and you know you have to make it for yourself!

I just bought a Fuji S5000 and am very happy and content. I did not put myself through the proverbial wringer. Chuckles... no camera is perfect. There will always be trade-offs so why sweat it? I can tell you right now that you can have this thing researched to the nth degree, decide to buy camera "x" and a month later still be wondering whether you made the right choice. AND... we both know that a couple of years down the road the camera over which you poured long and hard will be old... out of date... surpassed by yet another generation. SO... BUY one of the cameras you have selected. Really, it doesn't matter which you choose at this point. They're all fine photographic instruments. Just buy, stop sweating the small stuff and enjoy!
leushino is offline   Reply With Quote