Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:29 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandb View Post
I've been so worried about the video and trying to figure everything out that I forgot to say....
This camera takes some great pictures.
Keep in mind that this was one of the first pictures I took with this camera and had it less then an hour. Wanted to see what 30 zoom would do for me.
The hummingbird was very cooperative and stayed put for about 20 seconds.
Indeed, it does. That's what it's main function is for. And, the more you shoot, the more you'll like it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:03 PM   #22

The Hummingbird shot looks like it front focused on the feeder so if it had focused on the Hummingbird properly you would have had an excellent first shot!...
I just let my HS10 go, but never had a problem with the 'sticky' lens...I did have an issue with spot focusing at times but it was always because of not enough light for the camera to see clearly...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 2:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
The Hummingbird shot looks like it front focused on the feeder so if it had focused on the Hummingbird properly you would have had an excellent first shot!...
I just let my HS10 go, but never had a problem with the 'sticky' lens...I did have an issue with spot focusing at times but it was always because of not enough light for the camera to see clearly...
Yes.
I have a lot of hummingbirds visit the feeder but was worried about being able to focus in on time so I was prefocused on the feeder waiting.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 12:23 PM   #24

My apology if this is Off-Topic but I do not know where else to post it.
MY PROBLEM
After 12 days of taking fotos w/ the HS10 it no longer will turn on in foto-taking mode. I was making a movie of hummingbirds at the feeder yesterday, HS10 on tripod, HiSpeed 1000fps and after 30" I turned the camera off, downloaded the movie to my puter, deleted it for it was very poor quality. Then when I tried to turn the camera back on I only got a blank black screen in foto-mode. In Play mode I can view two still fotos stored in IM taken earlier. In Foto-mode: by pressing DSP/Back I get the screen prompts for Firmware Update 1.02 which I installed earlier. Also in Play mode I can access the Menus and have tried RESET to restore factory set options, but to no avail the camera still will not turn on even with fresh batteries.

I feel I am being used by Fuji as a Beta tester for a product for which they have not ironed out all the kinks. Also on Fuji's site there is no repair shop listed for Colorado and no support listing for contacting them to resolve this problem only links to dwnld Manual, which sez "Take to Fuji Dealer" and Updates. The FAQ link times out repeatedly.
Any help appreciated

Last edited by qajaqer99; Aug 18, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Correction Play to Foto mode gets Firmware update
qajaqer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by qajaqer99 View Post
My apology if this is Off-Topic but I do not know where else to post it.
MY PROBLEM
After 12 days of taking fotos w/ the HS10 it no longer will turn on in foto-taking mode. I was making a movie of hummingbirds at the feeder yesterday, HS10 on tripod, HiSpeed 1000fps and after 30" I turned the camera off, downloaded the movie to my puter, deleted it for it was very poor quality. Then when I tried to turn the camera back on I only got a blank black screen in foto-mode. In Play mode I can view two still fotos stored in IM taken earlier. In Foto-mode: by pressing DSP/Back I get the screen prompts for Firmware Update 1.02 which I installed earlier. Also in Play mode I can access the Menus and have tried RESET to restore factory set options, but to no avail the camera still will not turn on even with fresh batteries.

I feel I am being used by Fuji as a Beta tester for a product for which they have not ironed out all the kinks. Also on Fuji's site there is no repair shop listed for Colorado and no support listing for contacting them to resolve this problem only links to dwnld Manual, which sez "Take to Fuji Dealer" and Updates. The FAQ link times out repeatedly.
Any help appreciated
Try taking the batteries out and leave them out for 24-48 hours. Make SURE you take the SD card out and save your stuff before you put it back in!

Where did you buy it? How long have you had it? Try working through the place you bought it. Both B&H and Adorama are VERY helpful in this area.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Aug 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:02 PM   #26

I've had my HS10 since it came out here in the UK, not done the latest firmware but will get round to it. I'd just like to comment on the Zoom issue though. I tend to film in mostly 720p and have had no probs with the zoom or dropping frames whilst filming at the local skate park so far. I'd like to say though the first few attempts at the skate park were awful and Jerky but either the zoom has loosened off (feels the same) or I am getting better and smoother at using it. I have a compilation video of photos and Videos taken from the skatepark at Various resolutions here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNTZV-DJYSw
What I am really impressed with is the Low light pictures and Videos as my friends are Dj's and I regularly take Club Pictures and Vidz for them 99% of the time without a flash. (I have a Very steady hand) I also was impressed with the sound quality and the Video quality from my camera in the last club as it was dark apart from the occasional strobe light. This is probs not the best exaple as I was rather drunk and Jerky in my movement but just to show sound and Video quality with no light source other than a table lamp and the laptops I have included this clip as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCtK9g9Ni1s
Might try some full HD Video in the next couple of days and report back if I can find the time guys. Baby due in 2 Days :-)
charlysays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:22 PM   #27

I was unaware that people were having trouble with the manual zoom, as mine has always felt smooth, so I did a bit of experimenting with operator technique - what I found is that if I zoom using one finger to turn the ring (placing it crosswise under the ring and rolling it, it is jerky, but if I use two fingers (as I have always done - rolling the ring between the two fingers, one pushing an the other pulling) it is perfectly smooth. There is a bit of resistance, but that is good, as it prevents too fast a zoom. I'd be curious to hear how others do it - I wouldn't be surprised if most people have not paid attention to that. Of course, going full range requires one or more stops and starts, no matter which method you use.

BTW Zooming has its place, but the biggest flaw in amateur movies that I see is careless or excessive use of zooming while shooting (especially hand held and while panning) - I can remember from film days always seeing cautions about doing that unless following moving action. You were supposed to stop filming, zoom, and then start again.

Last edited by penolta; Aug 19, 2010 at 3:26 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote