Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:59 AM   #1

Default HS10. Had it a few days now and have some questions

Hope someone can help me out here.

I've had an older Lumix 12 zoom for quite a few years now that I've been using but time marches on and it's time to upgrade.

I read over the manual online before the camera arrived so I thought I understood everything but obviously I don't.
The first thing I did (which I probably should have left alone to start with was change some of the settings in the shooting menu)

Took some pictures, tried out the video, then noticed some problems. (pictures were fine, but camera displays and functions were another story)
Most of the buttons on the left hand, back side of the camera either didn't do anything or gave me a very limited amount of choices regardless of what shooting mode I was in. 'C' was the only mode that seemed to give me the full range of choices.
And
The center bracketing square wasn't showing up until I pressed the shutter halfway in.
Something is wrong here. Went to the setup menu and and selected reset to get everything back to factory settings.
All my problems were solved.
I since figured out that if you have Intelligent face detection on the bracket doesn't show up until you do the half press. Turn it off and my bracket is back. Makes sense. The camera is supposed to be looking for the faces, not you. So I figured out what I was doing wrong there.

But the button thing... for the life of me I can't figure out what I had set originally to make them either give me no choices or limited choices.
I know for A,S,M,P pressing AF gave me one choice, center.
Like I say, now after resetting, everything is fine, all four choices are there.

Recording movies. Full HD, if I'm panning the camera regardless of speed (I've tried panning slow and fast) drops frames. I view it on my computer, it starts out fine, then a few frames are missing, fine again for a few seconds, then more dropped frames. So it ends up being choppy.
If I just do HD I have no problems at all.

Manual zoom. I swear it feels like I need to squirt some oil in this thing (no, I won't, just being facetious) There is just no way to turn this smoothly.

IS mode in setup. Any advantage in using one over the other? And what does +D, digital image stabilization do?

Long post... If you got this far thanks.... If you have any answers or comments for me an even better thanks.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:09 PM   #2

First: Did you do the firmware upgrade? Next: The manual zoom should operate easily and smoothly. You may have a dud. Next: If you can't remember what you did to what and want factory default settings, find "Reset" on the menu.

The center bracketing square is operating as it should as is face detection.

If you want to get shooting right now without a lot of hassle, "SRauto " is for you. It delivers really good images without a lot of hassle. Use it AFTER the reset and AFTER the firmware upgrade.

Take a spin through the manual that came on the CD. It's MUCH more extensive than the printed one that came in the box. It even explains the different IS modes
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
The camera came with the latest firmware 1.02 so that's ok.
Like I said, I did the reset, that's how I solved everything. I was just wondering what setting I had it on to cause my problems so I don't do it again.

The IS modes, unless I'm missing something just say:
Continuous.... stabilization is performed at all times
Shooting only.... Only when the shutter button is pressed all the way down
+D... for digital image stabilization
Off

Off they explain. Use it with a tripod.
But for the rest of them, why would I choose one over the other? Is there an advantage in certain shooting situations?

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2010, 2:01 PM   #4

Just pulled the HS10 out of it's bag. If you press the back/display button you can turn the info on/off, display composition grid or HD framing. If you have it off the screen is empty apart from the little hand symbol. However if you press the shutter halfway down the the square appears in the middle. I have my IS set to shooting only as apparently this can save battery life by not being on until you need it. Also make sure you have the correct battery trype selected in the menu as NiMH need the N setting and normal alki's need A setting to display the battery level correctly.
C mode is custom settings mode, the camera will store what ever you set it to so you can return to it quickly. For example my custom mode allows me to switch to RAW quickly if I need to, but you can set it to whatever you want.
Hope this helps!
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 6:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandb View Post
Manual zoom. I swear it feels like I need to squirt some oil in this thing (no, I won't, just being facetious) There is just no way to turn this smoothly.
That seems to be a common complaint with the HS10. Coming from a Pany FZ50 where the smoothness of the manual zoom was a thing of beauty, I've been disappointed with the HS10 zoom.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
That seems to be a common complaint with the HS10. Coming from a Pany FZ50 where the smoothness of the manual zoom was a thing of beauty, I've been disappointed with the HS10 zoom.
That's odd. This is only the second time I've heard of it. The OP and now yours. Everyone else I know of that has the HS-10 doesn't have a problem. I wouldn't consider it a "common" complaint. "Isolated", yes. "Common", no.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
...Everyone else I know of that has the HS-10 doesn't have a problem.
Based on a small sample, I'd agree. I tried the HS-10 in two different stores and then bought one--the zoom worked smoothly on all three. This was important to me as competing cameras all have a motorized zoom which I could never work satisfactorily.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
That's odd. This is only the second time I've heard of it. The OP and now yours. Everyone else I know of that has the HS-10 doesn't have a problem. I wouldn't consider it a "common" complaint. "Isolated", yes. "Common", no.
I did want to see what others were saying about it so I went to google and typed in ... hs10 zoom jerky... Lots of hits...

This isn't a problem for pictures, but it seems like a lot of people, when doing videos, are experiencing this.. Start at wide and zoom in smoothly just doesn't seem like something I can do.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. I need to develop that magic touch.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandb View Post
I did want to see what others were saying about it so I went to google and typed in ... hs10 zoom jerky... Lots of hits...

This isn't a problem for pictures, but it seems like a lot of people, when doing videos, are experiencing this.. Start at wide and zoom in smoothly just doesn't seem like something I can do.

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. I need to develop that magic touch.
And, with a LOT of things that are new, it may just need a little "break in" period. I don't use mine for video so I can't be of much assistance in that area.
My Gallery

--
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvrFan View Post
Based on a small sample, I'd agree. I tried the HS-10 in two different stores and then bought one--the zoom worked smoothly on all three. This was important to me as competing cameras all have a motorized zoom which I could never work satisfactorily.

Craig

I agree, Craig. Even the Olympus SP570UZ, a camera I loved dearly, was difficult to zoom with any degree of accuracy. I did manage to get the knack of it after a while with the camera. The rocker switch type I NEVER mastered. I just get inside a range with my ZS-3 and shoot.
My Gallery

--