Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:03 PM   #1

Default Need tips

Hey guys, I am going away on holiday at the weekend an intend on taking my HS10. I will visiting a zoo and an aquarium. Has anyone got any tips for shooting through glass? I have a UV filter, polarising filter, ND8 filter and a diffusing filter. Will any of these help?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 1:57 PM   #2
Super Moderator

get your camera right up against the glass and seal the stray light out with your hand as best you can to minimize reflections.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:06 PM   #3

You could try the polarizing filter, but it takes away precious light, and works best with directional reflections. Not so well with diffuse light/reflections.
You could also try going oldschool and get yourself a sheet of black paper, snap a round hole in the middle at the size of the lens, and put it round the lens (like a big flat 2 dimensional lens hood) to create some shade to shoot through.
You could use your hand to block the light like Hards80 mentioned, but beware of the fog you get on the glass by doing so.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:11 PM   #4

another thing you can do is get one of those rubber lens hoods the screw onto the lens, put it right up to the glass. It will really help block out stray light when shooting though glass. petal hoods are not going to be as good for shooting through glass.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:14 PM   #5

Going away on Saturday so not enough time to get a hood. Anything else I can do?
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote