Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:43 PM   #1

Default jpeg corruption

I noticed switching from windows to linux, I have had way less to none corruption but here is a link

http://alkiratech.tripod.com/jpegcorruption/

I can tell everybody here my jpegs are corrupt on a windows based filesystem ntfs or fat32. Any thoughts on this? I think moving files around on a disk partition causes this and also virtual memory on a windows. Since linux has a fixed swap, who knows! Just like the guys says, 10% lost. I can confirm this because I have 40000 plus images and using a batch converter states roughly about 30-40 percent images corrupt on a windows based pc images are corrupt after 10 years. Yes 10 years! So would a ext4 partition on a backup drive help at all? Is this software based or mechanical issue? My dilemma here is I have a 2t backup drive and I am wondering if ext4 should be used for backup or fat32 or ntfs for my linux system! It's not just my pc, its my brother's pc, my girlfriends laptop,and als0 the people who I do odd jobs for as well. Didn't occur to me until i found that link.

so Recommend linux or mac? what do you think? and yes I read about the ecc part. Most of my hardware is already ecc compliant.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2

Cresho- That's the first time I've heard about this issue. But then again, I use a Mac for all my photos, audio, and video storage and processing; haven't had any such issue yet (keeping fingers crossed)
2raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:49 AM   #3

ya your mac is fine as long as it has ECC memory. Both Linux and mac's come from Unix ,or BSD which some claim, for macs. I am just wondering about what partition to use on an external drive. I haven't seen any corrupt files on my linux yet but my windows totally ruined lots of my pictures which i want to recover and have no idea what software to use to at least open the corrupt images.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:12 AM   #4

I have images going back to June 3, 2000 both on CD - started using DVDs in 2006 and on a 1TGB seagate hard drive in a netgear storage center unit-- I never store images on internal hard drives unless they need edited or burned to a disc I have heard too many stores about images being lost or drives failing to do that (images moved from an 80GB Western Digital and 200GB Segate external USB drives in 2008 or 2009 both that had those big brick power supplies back before the drives were powered with the USB cord.....) I have not had any issues and I have approx 103,000 images stored, Approx 5,000 or so images are from 2000 - 2002 Time frame. I did have a few CDs from 2000 - 2002 that had some errors from improper storage getting hot etc and re-burned the stuff from my hard drive last year. I am now very careful how I store my images (*no more storage in the cold basement or on a bookshelf that had sunlight cover -- everything now in a drawer unit in a room that is between 65 and 72 degrees all year long) and how the DVDs and CDs are handled for long term storage.

One reason I store my images on both CD/DVD and hard drive is just in case one medium gives me an error I can pull the stuff from the other medium.

Thanks for pointing this out so other members can check their collections and re-burn stuff as needed.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I haven't seen any corrupt files on my linux yet but my windows totally ruined lots of my pictures which i want to recover and have no idea what software to use to at least open the corrupt images.
Try RescuePro from SanDisk
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
Try RescuePro from SanDisk

No! my Hardrive is fine and I have utilities to recover from corrupt partition. I need a software that can open a corrupt jpeg. Can this software open a corrupt jpeg?

Here! this is what I use to recover anything from any drive from any partition and i dont pay 60 cuz its free.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

But it does not open corrupt jpegs once I have the file. Im talking about a stable OS back in the day with a Corrupt file on a good partition is that I want to recover.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo 5 View Post

One reason I store my images on both CD/DVD and hard drive is just in case one medium gives me an error I can pull the stuff from the other medium.

Well this is a good thought! I stopped burning stuff to DVD or CD for the very reason they are not good to store Data. I Think your on to something. Save your media in as many formats as possible and hope for the best.

Now I may need to buy a blueray burner just so i can have 2 bluerays instead of 20 dvds. I will also have 2 ext drives, one in ext and the other in Fat32. Also, the 2t disk with ext3-4 will have tiff images along with jpegs. LOL

I should email the guy about using tiff uncompressed algorythm or compression for storage cuz each image can go about 30mb uncompressed.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 23, 2010 at 1:42 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:59 PM   #8

I just checked pictures from 1996 which are on my hard drive. all fine of course. windows doesn't corrupt file-systems. things can go wrong. you could do a hard shutdown and the cache might not have been written. not updating the FAT a few times will create some issues. your hdd can go bad. i've been copying these files from hdd to hdd since 1996.

every couple of years i run out of room and i buy a bigger drive. usually 2. then i copy en mass. and make a new backup. NEVER a problem. if windows had such a file structure issue, nobody in business would use it. it's more likely something you're doing.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
I need a software that can open a corrupt jpeg. Can this software open a corrupt jpeg?
That is what is does - recover lost or damaged image files. And it is a free download to purchasers of higher-end SanDisk SD and CF flash cards.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by penolta View Post
That is what is does - recover lost or damaged image files. And it is a free download to purchasers of higher-end SanDisk SD and CF flash cards.

ahh thanks for the clarification. I eventually found one that is free. It opens corrupt jpegs and you will need to "save it as" like if it was a new file to correct the bad jpeg bit.

this one is free. ill look at the one you offered later.

IrfanView works.

here is an article i bounced into.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6833789_repa...jpeg-file.html

and for linux users, use gthumb
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=494991
I tried gthumb but doesnt work, ill keep looking, ill try irfanview in a bit.

Now if I can find a batch converter....

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 23, 2010 at 7:50 PM.