Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 2, 2010, 9:47 AM   #1

Default HS10 + Raynox DCR-2025pro 2,2x = optical overdose

Hi all,

I tried the larger Raynox DCR-2025pro 2,2x teleconverter with the HS10, and the results are not too good. In the centre the image quality is okay, but towards the edges the color bleeding is quite bad; here are a few examples:

#1 is resized and sharpened only

#2 is the cropped and sharpened version

#3 the moon, cropped at 2109 pixels wide, resized and sharpened. moon was just a bit low of the centre in the original frame

#4 the moon as shot with the seemingly better quality providing 1.7x Olympus Tcon-17. Cropped at the same size as the above raynox pic for zoom ratio comparison. An aircraft is flying in front of the moon. If only it had been flying that tiny bit lower..

I tested the raynox 2,2x with the Casio EX-F1 too, and with that cam color bleeding occurs too, so it seems a weakness of this raynox lens in common.
Attached Images

Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:38 PM   #2

Very nice comparisons,, thanks for the photos and information,, nice job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/keithtate
Keith Tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 8:31 PM   #3

Hi GB

I was surprised that your moon shot with the TCON-17 shows no obvious signs of CA as I get fringing with every moon pic I take with this lens. The top perimeter always has a cyan fringe and sometimes, as with the crescent phase below, there's a bottom perimeter red fringe. You may have to zoom in (CTRL+mouse wheel) to see it.

I wonder if there could be a quality difference in individual TCON's and you've picked a good 'un?

Wardonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:05 AM   #4

Hi Wardonia,

Well I think there is a wee bit of CA in my pic as well, only it isn't visible that well because of the brighter exposure setting and already warm WB.

What helps is to keep the moon as close to the exact centre of the frame as possible; this is where least fringing occurs.

I think a quality difference isn't likely; but then again it's probably not impossible

Cheerio!