Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 9, 2010, 6:46 AM   #1

Default Pardon the "dumb" question but ...

I've just purchased an Oly B-300 telephoto for my Fujifilm 200EXR so the lens has a 55mm thread and the camera has a 58mm thread. Is there any difference between a "step down" and a "step up" conversion ring?

Do I want a 58-55 step down or a 55-58 step-up or what?
I assume that 58mm is the external threads and that the 55mm are the internal threads (to accept the Oly lens) but how do I accurately refer to that when looking.

Seems like I want a 58-55mm step-down adapter ...

Also, since I will be attaching and removing this via these fine threads does it make sense to use additional adapters on the camers's lens and the B-300 so that if the threads get damaged I can easily fix this with new adapters?

Is that even possible or will this screw-up the focusing ability of this lens?

Bob S.

Last edited by staats; Sep 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM.
staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2010, 7:56 AM   #2

You'll want a 58-55mm step-down.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:07 AM   #3

Thanks Gary. What about the rest of my questions regarding trying to minimize usage of the original threads on the camera's lens and the telephoto?
I currently have no filter on the camera.

Bob S.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 9:02 AM   #4

You won't damage the threads on the cam or teleconverter. Just make sure you screw the ring on correctly. The fewer rings the better to prevent vignetting (dark corners). The step rings can be difficult to get off at times; it's best not to screw them in too tight.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:59 AM   #5

Usually it is not a good idea to mount any converter lens directly on the lens of a P&S, unless there is no adapter tube for it at all. The reason is because those converters are usually heavy and they put a lot of pressure on the lens elements (P&S lenses are not nearly as well built as DSLR's or stronger for that matter). Every time you half-press the shutter, the lens will turn to reach focus and if a converter is mounted on it, the effort to turn the lens becomes much greater (and unexpected since the camera was not built to handle the extra weight). So, my suggestion is to get an adapter tube for your camera and then attach the converter (plus any stepping ring you may need) to it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Usually it is not a good idea to mount any converter lens directly on the lens of a P&S, unless there is no adapter tube for it at all. The reason is because those converters are usually heavy and they put a lot of pressure on the lens elements (P&S lenses are not nearly as well built as DSLR's or stronger for that matter). Every time you half-press the shutter, the lens will turn to reach focus and if a converter is mounted on it, the effort to turn the lens becomes much greater (and unexpected since the camera was not built to handle the extra weight). So, my suggestion is to get an adapter tube for your camera and then attach the converter (plus any stepping ring you may need) to it.
True. But in case of the hs10 an adapter tube is not available. The lens extrudes, but it doesn't turn when focussing. The plastic tcons of Olympus really don't weigh that much and I'm personally quite sure they don't pose a threat to the lens mechanics. But don't blame me if something does go wrong..
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:06 AM   #7

Well, like I said, if there are no adapters for the camera, then the last resort is to attach the converter to the lens. Just make sure you provide extra support so the weight is not taken by the lens itself.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Sep 12, 2010 at 6:22 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 5:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaron View Post
You won't damage the threads on the cam or teleconverter. Just make sure you screw the ring on correctly. The fewer rings the better to prevent vignetting (dark corners). The step rings can be difficult to get off at times; it's best not to screw them in too tight.
Yes I was concerned about the possibility of vignetting. A number of people have used this and the Tcon-17 on the HS10 with success but I'm putting it on a S200EXR.

So maybe just a neutral filter on the camera? Would that still allow for 58MM threads for the step-down adapter ring. That way if I do screw it up it's just a filter ...

Thanks guys.

Bob S.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:19 AM   #9

Screw-in filters usually provide the same male and female threads. If you wish to put a Uv filter in between I'd recommend to take at least a Mid-priced one. The better the quality the less loss of light and they're usually thinner too.

For thread protection it won't be usefull though. The threads are strong, and it will require purposeful force to damage them. I write that as an experienced maintenance engineer and -lens-attatchment user. You really don't want to put things between lens and teleconverter. It presents unnessecary loss of light and/or zoom.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:35 AM   #10

I noticed that when I pulled out my old film camera that had a neutral filter on it to protect the lens. It's been on there a L O N G time and it won't budge.

So is there anything that should be applied to the threads?

Bob S.. (very experienced exotic car mechanic) but I've bunged a few threads up.

Bob S.