Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:44 AM   #11

Hi again masini.

Regarding ISO, I wouldn't worry too much about this - just set it to ISO200 and you should be OK.

Just to clear up the "exposure" issue, what we're referring to here is "exposure compensation". You access this (in shooting mode) by pressing the top selector button: a +/- icon will appear on the display, you press the top button again to increment the exposure compensation in the upwards direction. Press "OK" to activate your selection.

Or alternatively, you might like to try shooting in "snow-scene" mode, which is accessed via the thumbwheel set to SP ("Scene Position") - as opposed to shooting in "P" ("Program") mode.
pentode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 3:07 AM   #12

Me again!

Just realised my brain was in SLR mode - I think you're best off with Auto 400 ISO. That gives the camera the chance to select ISO 100. (You want the ISO to be as low as you can get away with, in order to minimise noise (i.e. graininess) in your images -especially with small cameras such as these.)
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:22 AM   #13

ok thanks so do you think its better to shoot in SLR , Auto or Manual mode for best results?
masini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #14

Don't worry, when I said my brain was in SLR mode, I was just referring to the fact that I was thinking about my DSLR at the time!

Regarding preferred modes for the F80EXR, I think you should generally follow the guidelines in Hards80's very useful sticky (and this applies to every ...EXR user!):

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fu...-exr-cams.html

In other words, P mode for DR100, DR200 and DR400 settings, and EXR DR mode if you want to use DR800.

However, as I say, it may be worth trying snow-scene mode instead of P mode, since the camera will (hopefully!) do the necessary exposure compensation for snow scenes.

I hope everything's clear now, but if you're still unsure, don't be afraid to ask!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:30 PM   #15

thanks a lot for your replies pentode. I hope that when I go to actually take the photos I wont forget everything you and Hard80 told me

I will surely try the snow-scene mode and compare it to the settings you guys suggested I hope I can get some ok shots at least..
Old Sep 16, 2010, 2:35 PM   #16

ok while looking at an other thread I saw these settings:

"A few exim data : ISO100 ; f/7.1 ; exposure time 1/125 s ; focal length 6 mm"

So, what is the exposure time and the f/7.1 setting please?
And is the focal length the optical zoom?

sorry for all the questions but I really want some nice photos from the trip..
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by masini View Post
ok while looking at an other thread I saw these settings:

"A few exim data : ISO100 ; f/7.1 ; exposure time 1/125 s ; focal length 6 mm"

So, what is the exposure time and the f/7.1 setting please?
And is the focal length the optical zoom?

sorry for all the questions but I really want some nice photos from the trip..
Don't worry about the questions, hopefully they'll be instructive to others, and anyway, I want you to get some good photos too!

Regarding that quote from another thread:

Yes, the focal length refers to the optical zoom: when fully zoomed-out (as you are after power-on), the focal length of the lens is at 5mm, and fully zoomed-in (i.e. at maximum magnification) it's at 50mm. In general, you don't need to be aware of the actual focal length of the lens (and the camera won't give you that information when you're shooting anyway).

Exposure time (also referred to as "shutter speed") is the time that the camera's light sensor array is exposed to the image supplied from the lens. As long as you're not in "M" (Manual) mode, the camera will set this for you. For darker scenes, this time will increase (Note: the number will DECREASE!), to the point where you have to be extra aware about holding the camera steady (but this shouldn't be too much of a problem when shooting snow-scenes).

The "f1.7" refers to the lens aperture, and is not something to be at all concerned about, as the camera will set this for you (unless you're in M mode).

What I will say is that the F80EXR, whilst being a very good camera, does offer a lot of flexibility in how you use it, and this flexibility can work against it in the hands of inexperienced photographers. Because of this, I would suggest you take a few (or a lot of) practice photos before you go on the trip, and try to get used to how it responds to different situations.

If you need any further assistance, you know where to come!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:53 AM   #18

Sorry I couldn't reply before but I was away from home for a couple of days. Thanks a lot for your help!

I will receive my camera tomorrow or the day after I think, so I will try to go out and take some pictures with it. The problem is that we never have snow in my country so I cannot take any test pictures for that environment, and thats why I've been asking all these questions.

Thanks again for your help
Old Sep 20, 2010, 2:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by masini View Post
Sorry I couldn't reply before but I was away from home for a couple of days. Thanks a lot for your help!

I will receive my camera tomorrow or the day after I think, so I will try to go out and take some pictures with it. The problem is that we never have snow in my country so I cannot take any test pictures for that environment, and thats why I've been asking all these questions.

Thanks again for your help
You're very welcome! Good luck with your new camera!