Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:17 AM   #1

Default snowy viewfinder view...why????

Hi, I'm very new to digital photography and this is my first digital camera. So far, I'm not very pleased but that is probably because I've failed to do something. When I turn the camera (an S5000) on and look through the view finder, it looks like I'm peering through a snowstorm... or I might describe it like looking at an old television show with a sort of snowy, poor resolution. And as I move the camera about it's like looking through a movie finder... it moves... unlike looking through a regular viewfinder.

Also, the view turns off after a minute or so which is very unsettling, especially if I'm trying to compose a picture.

Frankly, I'm beginning to think that this camera is too complicated for the likes of me and/or it is defective.

Please... I welcome all comments before I return it to the store. Thank you.
leushino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2003, 11:07 AM   #2

I am not sure about the snowy part but the turn off of the display is usually a setting that can be changed. So all you need to do if I am not mistaken is to go through your setup menu and look for the setting and select the one that you desire. Remember the longer it stays on means less pictures from a single charge.
zace27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 1:41 PM   #3

how long does the average 2300 rechrgable bats last in the fujifilm s5000 and the s7000. does it go flat very fast.............i had a hp 812 and after 10 shots with the viewfinder, the bats are flat............i hope the s7000 is not the same
zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 3:02 PM   #4

Zoom

Over 200 shots as stated on your other thread.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2003, 10:47 PM   #5

HI,

I'm a new S5000 user myself. Excellent camera for $302 I paid for.

Snowy? There's probably something wrong with your unit or the batteries are weak. Better return it when you can.

How many shots? The batteries that came with the camera did not last for me, probably 100 shots or less, but I have a rechargeable 2000mah and it still up and running after 460 shots of only the initial charge.(-100 or so)

Check the comparisons here of battery life...
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/page8.asp

S5000 wow, you can't go wrong.
I'm a pre-beginner-regular-digicam-user.
So my photos are not pros or even the best. But, I just shoot.
Learn and adjust.

some of my pictures,
http://vnox.fotopic.net
some are shot in 3m and or 6m then cropped using irfanview.

Once I have enough memory card, I will be shooting RAW.
have fun,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 3:37 AM   #6

Default Snowy viewing???

Are you trying to take pictures in a "dark room" or at a party?
All digital cameras will have a static view under low light conditions.
Under normal room lights...it is redish and static. The video high gain on your camera is trying to boost the image so that you can see what you are taking.
I have two the the FinePix 5000's and have nothing to say but good words about the quality...this little camera puts out.
If you think that it's not the same problem I have mentioned above, suggest you talk to the customer help at FUJI, 800-800- fuji. Your camera has a one year warranty...and FUJI will stand behind it....tell my good friends at FUJI...Ross sent you and you need help!!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 3:38 AM   #7

Default Snowy viewing???

Are you trying to take pictures in a "dark room" or at a party?
All digital cameras will have a static view under low light conditions.
Under normal room lights...it is redish and static. The video high gain on your camera is trying to boost the image so that you can see what you are taking.
I have two of the the FinePix 5000's and have nothing to say but good words about the quality...this little camera puts out.
If you think that it's not the same problem I have mentioned above, suggest you talk to the customer help at FUJI, 800-800- fuji. Your camera has a one year warranty...and FUJI will stand behind it....tell my good friends at FUJI...Ross sent you and you need help!!
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2003, 10:32 AM   #8

I think Ross is correct here. I think there are two ways of driving the EVF display - make it respond to aperture and shutter settings so if the display looks OK, the saved pic will probably be exposed OK, or treat the display image as electronically optimised to ensure you can see and frame the pic whatever camera settings you have. The first method is scary when you turn the camera on in manual and get a black screen!

In both cases a low light situation which might be totally unsuited to a shot will produce a poor displayed image in the viewfinder. If the viewfinder image was perfect you would be able to see in the dark and take pics the rest of us couldn't.

So I'd say, if your camera low light warning is on, then don't expect the display to show you something the camera can't shoot. If it is off in low light and the camera has ramped up its ISO, aperture and is slow shutter, then what you see as viewfinder noise will to some extent appear on your pics! Of course you can expect this rule to be broken when using flash, so the viewfinder image lit by available light will only be of use for framing the shot if in low light. That's when the common problem is seeing anything on the electronic display in near darkness. My second camera also has an optical finder - and apart from saving juice, that's where it comes in handy.VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 10:12 PM   #9

oh yeah try adjusting that dial left of the eyepiece,EVF.

I played around with it and some Fujimade snow showed up. Got the tip from Derek_in_Tucson from http://www.majgaj.com/s5000/forums/y...n/yabb/YaBB.pl

good luck with the snow,
merry xmas,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:08 AM   #10

Yes, S5000's EVF is snowy if being compared to other brands/models under same lighting conditions. If you like the camera in other aspects, just ignore that. After all, it won't affect your final pictures.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote