Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:39 AM   #1

Default SuperCCD RAW

Hi everyone,
Just bought S5000 about a month ago.
Great camera, great camera.

Does anyone know or know where I could find out why if a RAW file is supposed to be what the S5000 SuperCCD sees, why does it take 6megs? instead of 3megs?

So it takes the shot at 3megapixels then blows it up pretending to be RAW? Is this what interpolating means?

thanks,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:21 AM   #2

Default Interpolation

Hi. I just bought my s5000 today. This brochure from Fuji will explain exactly how it works. ... Here is the link: http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...Brochure_9.pdf

The pictures turn out much better it seems if you use the RAW mode. I can tell you of a program that then converts the images to JPG and other formats after without using as much compression as Fuji did so that you keep the resolution... and it should be ok most of the time if you have a 256K memory.... I bought one at Costco for $84 today...

As the cameraman explained, even if all of the additional sensors don't give out a true 6.3MP, it certainly is more than a regular 3MP camera. So you can figure the resolution is closer to 4.5 to 5 MP if you use it in the RAW mode if you compare it to a "standard" CCD sensor... Dan
SanDiegoDanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 8:11 PM   #3

While past SCCD cameras have shown resolution advantage over equal photosite count cameras of converntinoal CCD or CMOS layout, the s5000 has not proven this ability. The s602, F700, s2, etc. have shown on resolution charts, and in controlled framed cmoparisons, that they are more efficent per photosite count, if cmopared to a conventional sensor. The s5000 meaures approximately the same as a standard 3Mp sensor, and in a controlled comparison i analysed from the s5000 compared to a Canon S30(both cameras measure approximately the smae on charts, too), the resoluton that was catpured was for all intents and purposes, the same for both cameras. I analysed the full 48bit TIFF files converted from the RAW images from both cameras. The s5000 does have several advantages, though! The s5000 has faster auto focus then most cameras in it's class, it also has a superior dynamic range/tonal curve and much lower noise at a given ISO setting. The images from this camera have subtler gradients/color shifts that appear more natrual(like film). However, some people may not appreicate this trait, since it can make scenes look less 'vibrant' with less 'pop', as some might say.But you can add as much 'pop' as you want in post process, but you can't do the opposite. Their is a freeware RAW convertor available for the s5000 that you can find on the dpreview.com fuji forum. It is superior to the RAW convertor included with the Fuji S5000.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:39 PM   #4

the SCCD sensor array is like this where R = red B = blue G = green

_R_B_R_B
G_G_G_G_
_B_R_B_R

For the S5000 there are 2168 rows of sensors and 1440 columns of sensors 3 million sensors 1.5 million green and 750K of red and blue

each sensor take 2 bytes and thus your file size is 3 million times 2 or 6 million bytes

The _ are holes that need to be filled in, this is the interpolation that everyone talks about

this creates 2168 rows and 2880 columns or 6 million pixels. Fuji has elected to cut off the edges so the actual image produced from the camera or from the raw converter is slightly smaller.

Note, as with all digital camers that use the Bayer array, there is also interpolation of color to create the pixel.

And i bet you thought you had a 3 million pixel CCD? Nope 3 million sensors, there is a distinction.

One final note, some people think that since the S5000 is a 3 million sensor camera that outputting the image as 3 megpixels is viewing it in its native mode, this is ompletely incorrect,

the 6 megpixel mode is the native viewable mode.

it is actually possible to view the image as 3 megapixles withhout the holes filled in, but the image looks squashed in the horizontal

Hope this helped,

David
purdyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:58 PM   #5

awesome,

pretty good explanation,

I guess as long S5K prints real good at 8x10, I'm happy, which it does.

thanks,
Vic
vnox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:23 PM   #6

Default to purdyd

2 purdyd
Do you have some info about S5000 RAW format? I'm trying to write an own RAW converter, but results are somewhat psycodelic.
I can extract JPG preview for now (first 500 Kb appr.)
Then I found 2152 rows of 2944 bytes each (2848 words with data, rest is empty), well I can't restore BMP image - it looks, like colour-star might sky, well, contours can be seen, but it wasn't idea
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:55 PM   #7

Default S5000 Raw converter

This is generally not cool on these type of forums but go here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6908600

(this is also the most active Fuji forum)

you will find that Fer has already written the raw converter and you can download the executable AND source code.

I wrote the 'engine' after seeing dcraw code and some stuff written by a gentlemen in Germany and some help from a paper at Stanford.

You are on a long but rewarding path if you go on your own!

Oh, and there is a S7000 version and a F700 (my contribution) version you can find sniffing around there too.

David
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:37 PM   #8

thanx a lot.
Thing is I'm using Delphi with KOL.
I think it's time to switch to C++ Builder.
Klyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2004, 1:03 AM   #9

Default Just for the record

I incorrectly assumed the S5000 sensor array was the same as the F700

the s5000 is actually

has 2152 verterical rows and

2848 horizontal columns (1424 actual sensors)

At least this is what comes out in the raw file.

the actual size that you get out of the camera is 2832x2128

David