Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 25, 2010, 3:15 AM   #1

Default How does the zoom compare to other mega or superzooms??

How does the zoom ability of the HS10 compare to that of the Panasonic FZ100 or the Canon with the 35x zoom? I have seen reviews of each but I have not seen what I am looking for.

I am looking for some site or something that has comparison pictures of the HS10 and the FZ100 focusing on the same object from the same starting point, in order to get some idea of what 24x vs 30x really looks like. I have not seen any reviews that do this they all take different objects as examples, and it would really help me to see something to compare the two.

Also, I have read on every review of the HS10 that it is a rather slow camera, with about 3.5 seconds of time between shots? Is this the norm? This is my biggest concern about the HS10 at this time.

thank you for advice and help on this matter!
Chimera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:24 PM   #2

Default Here you go.

Here's a site that will let you choose those cameras and compare them in both RAW and JPG modes. Appears to be in German, but it's easy enough to change the settings and look at the comparisons you seek.

http://www.dkamera.de/testbericht/bildqualitaet.html
OnTheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Not a bad site but they shoot only at the widest angle of the lens, which is not very helpful when comparing long-zoom cameras.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post

Also, I have read on every review of the HS10 that it is a rather slow camera, with about 3.5 seconds of time between shots? Is this the norm? This is my biggest concern about the HS10 at this time.
If that is your biggest concern, the HS10 is not for you. Write times are not up to the norm.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:31 AM   #5

Shot to shot times with my HS10 using class 10 SDHC card:

jpeg -----------> less than 1 second
RAW ----------> 3 to 4 seconds
jpeg + RAW -> 4 to 5 seconds
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2505 View Post
If that is your biggest concern, the HS10 is not for you. Write times are not up to the norm.

I have no issues with write times on my camera at all. I use a class 6 SDHC and have no issues at all. The zoom is a little soft from about 25x - 30x but it is a very very good zoom lens......... Just get a fast card and your good to go. And I speak from experience as I have shot over 20,000 photos with the camera so far.

Also hope over the action and sports forum and check out my photos of firefighters in action to see the zoom at work........

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2010, 9:41 AM   #7

In photography, 5 seconds to record an image is an eternity. You can miss all sorts of stuff (unless you are photographing a chair sitting in your leaving room). So, shooting RAW+JPEG is probably not an option. Three seconds for RAW is border line. However, 1 sec for JPEG is good so if the camera has good JPEG processing, then one is OK.

Tullio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
In photography, 5 seconds to record an image is an eternity. You can miss all sorts of stuff (unless you are photographing a chair sitting in your leaving room). So, shooting RAW+JPEG is probably not an option. Three seconds for RAW is border line. However, 1 sec for JPEG is good so if the camera has good JPEG processing, then one is OK.
Agreed...

I prefer to shoot RAW so the write times with the HS10 can be frustrating... I'm going DSLR (probably Nikon) next year but plan to keep the HS10... The HS10 is just wonderful for close up and Macro and a great camera if you're not covering fast action, though many have used it for action with good results...

If you shoot at a leisurely pace the HS10 is a pretty good camera and can give great results with the proper in-camera settings when shooting jpeg only... Shooting RAW you can usually get better results but you must accept the increased shot-to-shot penalty...
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9

I think macro/close-ups is probably one of the easiest thing for any camera to handle. Most compact P&S take excellent close-up/macro shots. The problem is usually with the long end of the zoom range. So, for macro, one of those Panasonic ZS5/ZS7 will do the job nicely. No need to carry a 30x zoom camera around.

Tullio
Old Oct 28, 2010, 11:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I think macro/close-ups is probably one of the easiest thing for any camera to handle. Most compact P&S take excellent close-up/macro shots. The problem is usually with the long end of the zoom range. So, for macro, one of those Panasonic ZS5/ZS7 will do the job nicely. No need to carry a 30x zoom camera around.
What the long zoom does (for me) is allow more range in framing the shot... You can crop later in PP but you lose megapixels in the process... The long zoom can be a great tool if you know how to use it and when...

Below are two examples of using the long end of the zoom, for Macro in this instance...

HS10_Macro Mode_126mm (720mm @ 35mm eq) f5.6 1/600 ISO 200 EV -0.67

HS10_Macro Mode_126mm (720mm @ 35mm eq) f5.6 1/52 ISO 200 EV -0.33

In both these instances the subject was about 8 to 10 feet off the trail in soggy, swampy ground... Having the long zoom made it possible to get these shots without having to get my feet wet or crop later and loose megapixels/resolution...

PS: Both images are full size (not cropped) but reduced to 1024 pixels on the long side to comply with image posting rules...

Last edited by Wizzard0003; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM.